The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Unisex bathrooms?

So I really want to study at Manchester and I know with moving out money is gonna be tight and that I might have to settle for a shared bathroom. When I told my friend she told me that if I did that, I might have to share with a guy. I don't know if she was joking, trying to scare me, or being totally honest but I'm pretty sure I'm not down for that. Can somebody tell me if that's true?!
If you're living in a mixed flat then yes it is highly likely. If you really have a problem with it ask yo be allocated to a single sex flat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by BeadyMcJeeves
So I really want to study at Manchester and I know with moving out money is gonna be tight and that I might have to settle for a shared bathroom. When I told my friend she told me that if I did that, I might have to share with a guy. I don't know if she was joking, trying to scare me, or being totally honest but I'm pretty sure I'm not down for that. Can somebody tell me if that's true?!

Choose a male flatmate who doesn't wash. :dontknow:
Sharing with guys really isn't a problem. You're not going to be getting naked in front of them, and regardless of the hype, boys are no messier than girls.

In terms of what actually happens, it's common for a gender divide to be informally determined between residents - for instance, for my flat, in Oak House, the bathroom nearest the girls bedrooms were designated for girls, and the bathroom nearest the boys bedrooms were designated for boys.

When you move out into shared houses in second and third year, there's no such thing as en suites, so you definitely will be sharing - with your housemates, who are usually of mixed gender. It's really no different to sharing a bathroom with your dad or brother - it's just not a problem. I say this as a girl who has spent 2 years as the only girl in an otherwise all male house share.

FYI, there are gender neutral toilets on campus - at the students' union and in Simon Building. The sky has not yet fallen in, but it does give trans and gender variant students a safe place to use the loo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks guys, that's very helpful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by BeadyMcJeeves
Thanks guys, that's very helpful :smile:

You're welcome.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Sharing with guys really isn't a problem. You're not going to be getting naked in front of them, and regardless of the hype, boys are no messier than girls.

In terms of what actually happens, it's common for a gender divide to be informally determined between residents - for instance, for my flat, in Oak House, the bathroom nearest the girls bedrooms were designated for girls, and the bathroom nearest the boys bedrooms were designated for boys.

When you move out into shared houses in second and third year, there's no such thing as en suites, so you definitely will be sharing - with your housemates, who are usually of mixed gender. It's really no different to sharing a bathroom with your dad or brother - it's just not a problem. I say this as a girl who has spent 2 years as the only girl in an otherwise all male house share.

FYI, there are gender neutral toilets on campus - at the students' union and in Simon Building. The sky has not yet fallen in, but it does give trans and gender variant students a safe place to use the loo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd also note that it's OB's male housemate who's volunteered to clean the bathroom two years running. (He leaves the floor clean enough to eat off!)
Original post by Blackacre
I'd also note that it's OB's male housemate who's volunteered to clean the bathroom two years running. (He leaves the floor clean enough to eat off!)

Three years!

We were just in a mixed sex house before that... he's quite good actually, to give him his due.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending