The Student Room Group

Where were you when you got your offer/s?

Scroll to see replies

In my room. Checking my emails lol.
Original post by Kuki12
Hiya,

I'm also looking to do genetics, I was wondering what subjects do you do? and have you repeated a year?

There's a problem with sending this through your profile...but here you go :3
Hey there! I'm sorry for your results, but hey ho...there's probably lots of people who did worst than you, so don't worry! You've chosen universities with high entry requirements, especially Birmingham (AAA-AAB) and Sussex (AAB-ABB). And I don't think Exeter University do Genetics (correct me if I'm wrong!). But if your teacher predicts you an 'AAB', then go for those unis!

The universities that I applied Genetics for and got an offer were Liverpool Uni (ABB), Swansea Uni(BBB) and Aberystwyth Uni (ABB) - my predicted grade was 'ABB' so I was alright. I've talked to admissions tutors/Professors at Liverpool Uni and Swansea Uni and they've told me that they care most about my Biology and Psychology, therefore I need to get high grades on those! I'm not retaking my Chemistry, because A2 workload is too much. Hence, why I chose universities that didn't put an emphasis on 'Chemistry'.

About work experience...I didn't get any. Instead, in my application, I put an emphasis on doing a 'Summer School' at Newcastle Uni and how I did an experiment that links to Genetics. As well as doing 'Peer Mentor' training and getting a qualification for it. Also, doing a 'Genetics Course' online at Columbia University and being in SVP for 3 years and doing NCS in summer - where I also got Sports Leadership training. When I talked to admissions tutors on applicants day, they said that they really liked the activities I've done because it's varied and it means I can contribute into their societies. But for you, if you've not done anything that I've done, then I guess having work experience could be beneficial! It's not really something you 'need' to have done, because you'll get loads of that at University!
Reply 102
Original post by Bruno26
There's a problem with sending this through your profile...but here you go :3
Hey there! I'm sorry for your results, but hey ho...there's probably lots of people who did worst than you, so don't worry! You've chosen universities with high entry requirements, especially Birmingham (AAA-AAB) and Sussex (AAB-ABB). And I don't think Exeter University do Genetics (correct me if I'm wrong!). But if your teacher predicts you an 'AAB', then go for those unis!

The universities that I applied Genetics for and got an offer were Liverpool Uni (ABB), Swansea Uni(BBB) and Aberystwyth Uni (ABB) - my predicted grade was 'ABB' so I was alright. I've talked to admissions tutors/Professors at Liverpool Uni and Swansea Uni and they've told me that they care most about my Biology and Psychology, therefore I need to get high grades on those! I'm not retaking my Chemistry, because A2 workload is too much. Hence, why I chose universities that didn't put an emphasis on 'Chemistry'.

About work experience...I didn't get any. Instead, in my application, I put an emphasis on doing a 'Summer School' at Newcastle Uni and how I did an experiment that links to Genetics. As well as doing 'Peer Mentor' training and getting a qualification for it. Also, doing a 'Genetics Course' online at Columbia University and being in SVP for 3 years and doing NCS in summer - where I also got Sports Leadership training. When I talked to admissions tutors on applicants day, they said that they really liked the activities I've done because it's varied and it means I can contribute into their societies. But for you, if you've not done anything that I've done, then I guess having work experience could be beneficial! It's not really something you 'need' to have done, because you'll get loads of that at University!

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Did you have to pay for your online course?
They do :smile: That's actually really helpful, I never realised that the unis you have applied to offered genetics (when i typed genetics into ucas search only exeter, birmingham and sussex cam up for some reason)
And finally, last question, and I promise to stop exhausting you! Do you do extended project, do you think it helps with getting into uni or is it an unnecessary work load to take on in the second year?
Original post by Kuki12
Thanks for the reply :smile:
Did you have to pay for your online course?
They do :smile: That's actually really helpful, I never realised that the unis you have applied to offered genetics (when i typed genetics into ucas search only exeter, birmingham and sussex cam up for some reason)
And finally, last question, and I promise to stop exhausting you! Do you do extended project, do you think it helps with getting into uni or is it an unnecessary work load to take on in the second year?

No problem :smile:
No, it's free in 'Coursera' - you should check it out and see if they're doing any 'Genetics' course! If you want a better website, go to = 'WhatUni.com' and just type in the course and it'll list lots of Universities that do 'Genetics'. Also, you can filter it to whatever predicted grade you have, so you'll see the universities which is most suited for you.
It's alright! Ask as much questions as you want, I'm happy to help :smile:
Answer to your question is yes I did EPQ. I did mine on "Back Pain and Ankylosing Spondylitis and HLA-B27 Gene" but I did a product, instead of the essay. It is beneficial for university as you'll do projects at Uni, so Unis likes it if they see students doing it. Also it's additional UCAS Points, even if you just get a C or D in it (But try and get C/B/A/A*) :smile: For me, I had to do it because my sixth form makes it compulsory (or you can choose Key Skills..but EPQ is more beneficial for 'Genetics)so I had to do it. I've just finished it last week!!! So now I can concentrate on more revision for my A2 exams! If I was able to do it, you can too!!! Just make sure you meet deadlines, if you do it and that you pick a great supervisor! :smile: An advice if you do decide to do EPQ...make it link to 'Genetics'! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending