The Student Room Group

Medicine in Belgium?

I am currently doing my A2 level and planning to do medicine. I've read many times that Belgium is a good place to study med but, haven't got much information.
I would be grateful if someone could give me detailed information regarding medicine in Belgium. thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by aisha17
I am currently doing my A2 level and planning to do medicine. I've read many times that Belgium is a good place to study med but, haven't got much information.
I would be grateful if someone could give me detailed information regarding medicine in Belgium. thanks :smile:

I've never read that.

I've had a brief google and looked around some 'study in Belgium' type sites (and Antwerp's website) and can't see anything about Medicine being taught in English anywhere.
Reply 2
Original post by Ronove
I've never read that.

I've had a brief google and looked around some 'study in Belgium' type sites (and Antwerp's website) and can't see anything about Medicine being taught in English anywhere.

Medicine and all other bachelor programmes are taught in Dutch or French there. Though, the Post graduate master's degree is in English.
I'm willing to learn Dutch. I know its tough but I'd like to give it a try.
Reply 3
Original post by aisha17
Medicine and all other bachelor programmes are taught in Dutch or French there. Though, the Post graduate master's degree is in English.
I'm willing to learn Dutch. I know its tough but I'd like to give it a try.

In that case you need to work on that first. The level required will be B2-C1+, which is a lot of work if you're a beginner to the language (and even more work if it's the first foreign language you plan on taking to an advanced level).

What info are you looking for exactly? Everything should be on the university websites.

Incidentally, there is at least one Dutch uni that has the Bachelors part in English and the Masters part in Dutch, so that might be something to consider (since it gives you three extra years to work on your Dutch).
Reply 4
Original post by Ronove
In that case you need to work on that first. The level required will be B2-C1+, which is a lot of work if you're a beginner to the language (and even more work if it's the first foreign language you plan on taking to an advanced level).

What info are you looking for exactly? Everything should be on the university websites.

Incidentally, there is at least one Dutch uni that has the Bachelors part in English and the Masters part in Dutch, so that might be something to consider (since it gives you three extra years to work on your Dutch).

I just wanted to know about the entrance examination they have and the language test. But, its all cleared up now.

I haven't come across such uni. Which uni is it?
Reply 5
Original post by aisha17
I just wanted to know about the entrance examination they have and the language test. But, its all cleared up now.

I haven't come across such uni. Which uni is it?

At the very least both Groningen and Maastricht. There are subject requirements though, so you might need to have studied Chem, Bio, Physics and Maths at a higher level than you perhaps have. It's something that would need more research.

http://www.rug.nl/bachelors/medicine-profile-global-health/admission-and-application#int

http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Faculties/FHML/TargetGroup/ProspectiveStudents/BachelorsProgrammes/Programmes/Medicine/AdmissionsApplication/AdmissionRequirements.htm
Original post by aisha17

Hello Aisha, we haven't had much experience in studying in Belgium, are there any particular reasons for you choosing to study there? Have you considered anywhere else in Europe?
Reply 7
Original post by Ronove
At the very least both Groningen and Maastricht. There are subject requirements though, so you might need to have studied Chem, Bio, Physics and Maths at a higher level than you perhaps have. It's something that would need more research.

http://www.rug.nl/bachelors/medicine-profile-global-health/admission-and-application#int

http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Faculties/FHML/TargetGroup/ProspectiveStudents/BachelorsProgrammes/Programmes/Medicine/AdmissionsApplication/AdmissionRequirements.htm

Quick Reply

Latest