The Student Room Group

There's a mouse in my kitchen!

I think it's a mouse. It's black and furry and quite small, and I saw it run from behind the bin to behind the freezer. I'm freaking out! My dad says he'll buy traps in the morning, but for now I've stashed drinks in my room and am keeping clear of the stairs. I've just googled about house mice and found out they can jump up to 13 inches!!!! :eek: What the hell, I'm so bloody anxious, knowing it's living here. It's making me sick thinking how long it could've been living here, how filthy is our kitchen? :confused:

Any suggestions? I hate animals.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My old flatmate had a mouse in her accommodation recently...it was just found dead though...probably one of her flatmates trying to make it look like a suicide :wink:

Just shut the kitchen door, I'm sure it won't venture out considering the food is in there...it will probably be dead soon anyway, if your dad puts the traps down ;yes;
Reply 2
From some googled site:

"If you get a mouse in your house, trap it as soon as you can. There’s no such thing as only one mouse!"

Great.
OMG.

If I found a mouse in my house (:rofl:) I would seriously have to move out, I'd be paranoid all the time thinking the house was full of them, but I would probably die of fear and shock.
Reply 4
-1066-
OMG.

If I found a mouse in my house (:rofl:) I would seriously have to move out, I'd be paranoid all the time thinking the house was full of them, but I would probably die of fear and shock.

Ditto.
I hate them. :frown:

Just about as much as I hate spiders, although spiders aren't that bad that I'd have to move out. :p:
Reply 6
Call in Mighty Mouse to sort em out. :p:
Reply 7
AntiLearner
I think it's a mouse. It's black and furry and quite small, and I saw it run from behind the bin to behind the freezer. I'm freaking out! My dad says he'll buy traps in the morning, but for now I've stashed drinks in my room and am keeping clear of the stairs. I've just googled about house mice and found out they can jump up to 13 inches!!!! :eek: What the hell, I'm so bloody anxious, knowing it's living here. It's making me sick thinking how long it could've been living here, how filthy is our kitchen? :confused:

Any suggestions? I hate animals.

:toofunny:
Reply 8
Are you sure it's not a rat? That'd make the thread title far more amusing....
Reply 9
Chase after it with a mallet.

I hate mice.
Reply 10
It's not always due to uncleanliness - we had a mouse in the hotel reception I was working in once, and why? The hotel is on an island, right in the centre of a river!! If you live in a particularly rural area, wildlife can only be expected sometimes...
OMG! Once i was just happily sat on my bed, reading a magazine, out the corner of my eye saw some furry thing run across my room... screamed so loud! My dad came in and was moving furniture about to try and find it (my brother (who is 24) and my mum were too scared to come in!!!...lmao!) but said if there was one (he didn't believe me) must of gone down a crack by now! So he brought a trap (!) and left it at that... i was still paranoid and freaked out for days and wasn't until my brother started 'screaming' one night (funniest sound i have ever heard!) that dad was able to catch it!

We've since had all the old floorboards replayed and thingns (not because of the mouse, needed to be done anyhoo!) so haven't had them again... it was definitely an interesting experience though! :p:

-x-
Reply 12
i saw one yday in our kitchen.

i hear them on a night also.

big house + london + floorboards = mice.

oh, and our kitchen is a state.
Reply 13
I once found a mouse trapped in our garage, I brought it in by the tail to show my mum. Lets just say she didn't like it. And she reached 150 decibels.
Where we were staying in France once there was a mouse :eek: I saw this little head pop out from under a chair, but it was in the countryside.
It's ok if it's only one i suppose, but make sure the floors are completly clean if there's loads of food you may attract more mice.
Lib North
Are you sure it's not a rat? That'd make the thread title far more amusing....

LOL

I'd totally freak if that happened, you've got me scared now haha. It doesn't mean your kitchen is dirty though, Mice are clean, it just means there was a way it could get into the house and like took the oppurtunity.
Reply 16
Damn those Mice taking opportunities. We have one in the shed, it keeps stealing the rabbits food. Never had one in the house before though.
*looks around suspiciously*
Reply 17
Mice are great. They're really quite civilised... drinking port, wearing little waistcoats, smoking pipes. Unless Beatrix Potter has lied to me...
Reply 18
AntiLearner
I think it's a mouse. It's black and furry and quite small

I can assure you it's not a mouse. From your description I'm 95% positive that it's actually Tina Turner.
I found a mouse in my back garden once. It had fallen in to a bucket with a bit of water in and at first glance apaered to have died from being cold, but then i noticed a slight twitching, so i picked it up, dryed it with kitchen paper and put it in a shoe box (the grass was wet) in the sunlight to dry/warm up. I was watching it and after about 20 minutes it seemed a bit more lively, and so i took it out of the box and it scutteled off in to a nearby bush.

Latest