The Student Room Group

Long Term Saving/Investing Strategy

I've recently started working in a decent graduate job and had some money to begin with, I want to start saving and investing for the long term as soon as possible (compound effect and all that) and am considering what to do.

I am thinking of putting a fairly small lump sum into a fund/funds and then saving around £500-1000 to it every month, which is what I am thinking about how to invest (this is totally separate from pension contributions, which I will max out to utilise the tax benefits and employer contributions). The question is where to put it. I have been researching services like nutmeg which seem attractive, but also seem to be geared towards people who don't have the time/can't be bothered to put the necessary effort into investment decisions, which doesn't really fit with how I think about it.

I was thinking a good strategy might be to invest mostly in passive funds like Vanguard LifeStrategy (with a high equity/bond ratio) and then have around 20% of my portfolio in high risk funds like technology, biotech, or small cap (these funds would be managed and might come with higher fees but have a much higher upside). I am willing to accept quite a lot of volatility because I am young and want high returns. Does anyone have any advice relating to this?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by FVP
I was thinking a good strategy might be to invest mostly in passive funds like Vanguard LifeStrategy (with a high equity/bond ratio) and then have around 20% of my portfolio in high risk funds like technology, biotech, or small cap (these funds would be managed and might come with higher fees but have a much higher upside). I am willing to accept quite a lot of volatility because I am young and want high returns. Does anyone have any advice relating to this?

Excellent choice of funds and (imo) investment strategy. Im a big fan of low cost index tracker funds and passively invest into the Lifestrategy 80 Acc fund each month.
Reply 2
Sounds good OP. Anything your thinking of specifically.

Original post by Reue
Excellent choice of funds and (imo) investment strategy. Im a big fan of low cost index tracker funds and passively invest into the Lifestrategy 80 Acc fund each month.

Out of interest how much do drip into it each month and how much do you hold there.
Reply 3
Original post by Rakas21

Out of interest how much do drip into it each month and how much do you hold there.

£200 a month, currently a few k.
Wack most of it in a tracker fund i.e FTSE All-share and drip feed most of it in there. I'd also grab a copy of the Investors Chronicles only £35 quarterly - I've made about a grand from tips in this magazine over the past year or so. Obviously do your own research around companies to invest in and whether they suit your risk appetite.

When you've also got a bit of spare cash, dabble into Spread Betting - would stay away from FX though, way too volatile. Indices are a lot easier to trade.
Reply 5
Original post by Over2you
Wack most of it in a tracker fund i.e FTSE All-share and drip feed most of it in there. I'd also grab a copy of the Investors Chronicles only £35 quarterly - I've made about a grand from tips in this magazine over the past year or so. Obviously do your own research around companies to invest in and whether they suit your risk appetite.

When you've also got a bit of spare cash, dabble into Spread Betting - would stay away from FX though, way too volatile. Indices are a lot easier to trade.

I can't trade individual shares and don't have time for spread betting. I want a strategy that is 95% passive for me with the 5% of effort deciding which investment products to buy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending