The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I will never forget what those brave soldiers did to save our country.
May we all live in PEACE...
Reply 2
hear hear.
Reply 3
:ditto:
Reply 4
I find it quite upsetting that this thread has only a few posts in it. Maybe I missed a larger thread going around?

Rememberence Sunday isn't about pro or anti war, it's about remembering those who lost their lives for Britian and the Commonwealth, and those who are still in our care. The care of the infirm and elderly survives off donations made through the poppy appeal and buying a poppy and wearing it is showing your support for decent honest hardworking people who were willing to die for you.

Please take a moment to reflect on this.

There is currently a service being aired on BBC1. There was a young woman amongst the widows who is not much older than some of you, she is 20 and lost her husband less than a month after they were married. Wars impact on a lot of people.
Reply 5
Well said BH
blackswan
I will never forget what those brave soldiers did to save our country.
May we all live in PEACE...

:ditto: And for all those who died in wars striving to protect our country since
I don't think we can ever comprehend the magnitude of it all these days. I can't even imagine what it must have been like, and the number of lives that were lost, just in one battle. It's not 100% relevant, but that statistic that always makes my jaw drop is the number of Russians killed during WWII. These are normal people, like us... many of them our age I expect, and the figure stands at 25 million :frown:. It's such a waste of life, but those killed in war gave their lives for our country, and for peace. It is only right that we should honour their memory.

I do question one thing though. With rememberance Sunday, and everyone buying poppies and so on. Do we do it because we really remember, or because we feel we ought to?
Reply 8
Poppies support the elderly and the infirm, they support hospitals and care homes, the British Legion who offer care and support for anyone connect to the armed forces be it as a widow/widower or that your grandad has just passed away. 1 in 6 people in the UK are able to have a connection to the Legion and it's support network.

I buy a poppy because I wear it to show others and hopefully remind them what Rememberence Sunday is about. It's one day out of our busy lives and in that day you can take as little as 30 seconds to reflect and think about it.

I do give to the Benevolent Fund anyway, but that was probably obvious as it's all quite close to my heart.
Reply 9
Does no one actually care about things like this anymore? :confused:
BlackHawk
Does no one actually care about things like this anymore? :confused:

apparently not. :frown:

I think that is self evident by the number of threads we've had on "what are those flowers/ blobs all over the site?"
I think you're right.

Very very sad. :frown:

I can't believe some people have been asking 'what are those flowers everyone's wearing'

Is this sort of thing not discussed in schools? I admit I haven't been of school age in a long time, so I don't know. :confused:
I was at work yesterday and we had two minutes silence at 11:00, the majority of us also wore a poppy. I was serving on girl about 10:30, she was probably about 20ish and asked what the poppy was for, she said that 'everyone seems to be wearing one today' I explained to her what it was for and that at 11:00 a lot of places would have two minutes silence. She then asked where she could get a poppy as she hadn't known what they were for, but felt that she wanted one now. It seems a pity that there are still so many people who are totally ignorant to what the poppies are for, what rememberance day/sunday is about etc.

Another thing.....we had posters up explaing that all county council staff would be observing the two minutes silence and would like to ask our customers to join us, but ask that if they don't want to then not to disturb those who do. Most people stopped at 11:00 but there were a few people who seemed to make a point of making as much noise as they could (using the coffee machine in the middle of it!) and letting children who were old enough to understand run round shouting. It seems a sad state of affairs when some people seem to deliberately not stop for just 2 minutes out of their whole year to remember.
Reply 13
So few posts :frown: I myself am a great believer of remeberance day, after all people gave their lives so we can live in peace. They are still doing it to this day. Remeberance sunday isnt only about the people who died in past wars, its also about current serving troups, families of troppes who have sadly passed away on active service.
The royal british legion does a fantastic job in helping families left behind and those who have left service. I will always be a great believer in this and wear my poppy with pride.
I have just returned from a remeberance parade in my local town, i took part through the atc, i laid the wreath down, yesterday i was selling poppies. I do find it hard to believe that some people don't even understand why we wear poppies, and i truly hope that one day everyone realises that today and the 11th/11th is very important as is the work of the royal british legion.

'We will remember them'
Reply 14
BlackHawk

Is this sort of thing not discussed in schools? I admit I haven't been of school age in a long time, so I don't know. :confused:

TBH I can't actually remember anything from primary, or the first 5 years of secondary. I learnt about it from my dad, from about the age of 4/5.
BlackHawk
I think you're right.

Very very sad. :frown:

I can't believe some people have been asking 'what are those flowers everyone's wearing'

We had it at primary school. The year 6s would come around selling poppies and things like that, but didn't really come up in secondary school that i recall
Reply 16
Nothing happened in my secondary school, not even a minutes silence.... I personally think its terrible :frown:
God, someone needs to make a film or something and go around and help people understand what it's all about.
~NC~
Nothing happened in my secondary school, not even a minutes silence.... I personally think its terrible :frown:

You could always write them a letter and let them know that?
Reply 19
BlackHawk
You could always write them a letter and let them know that?

Thats very true, i may do that. I do find it appauling that people don't really know about it these days, however with schools not really telling children about it these days, i can kind of understand why people don' t know.

Latest

Trending

Trending