The Student Room Group

I really don't like my degree, can I succeed without a degree?

I've always been a bit of a workaholic/extremely academic in the past, I just used to study all the time to keep my grades high so I automatically knew I had to go to university, I didn't really think about if I WANTED to do that, I think I still kind of do but I'm sick and tired of doing practicals, exams, assignments.. I've done it for the past 10 or so years of my life. :/

I really don't like my degree either, it depresses me every single day and has done so since the first day but I thought I'd stick it out or force myself to revise and succeed somehow like I've done with other subjects I've hated in the past. I realise, if I hate this year I'm only going to hate the 2nd/3rd year more as they involve more work. I have 3 deadlines looming in March for projects, I've had a look at them and they look so daunting and I don't even want to start them.

I don't think I even want to go into science when I'm older, but if I dropped out I'd feel like such a failure. I could try switching but I don't have any passions really. I don't know what to do.
(edited 9 years ago)
I feel exactly the same way but i feel like if you've made it this far into the year, you might as well finish it, that way you'll have at least year 1 under your belt, even if you don't want to continue onto 2nd/3rd year.

What I'm doing is continuing and trying my best to get through this year and then see if I want to continue / change course / go into work.

The issue is, I don't really know what other course I'd want to do. Do you? Or would you go into work? A LOT of people drop out so don't feel like a failure, sometimes it's just not what you expect, or you realise it's not what you want. Do be forced into doing something you don't want and wasting time and effort just because you're worried about how you'll look to other people and what they'll say.

This is YOUR life, so live it how you want and do what you want with it. Not having a degree is not the end of the world, despite what a lot of people say.
Reply 2
In college/high school sure there were subjects I didn't like, but eventually I enjoyed them and loved studying them, but with this degree, I AM still making myself study everyday but I used to be someone who could study 8/9 hours daily (with breaks) very productively, I find my degree a chore now and I can barely make myself work for more than 2 hours. I feel like I'm going to fail this. The first year doesn't count anyway but I'm so confused, it's too late to transfer as I'd have too much work to catch up on and I also don't want to have wasted this entire year.
Reply 3
Original post by soanonymous
I feel exactly the same way but i feel like if you've made it this far into the year, you might as well finish it, that way you'll have at least year 1 under your belt, even if you don't want to continue onto 2nd/3rd year.

What I'm doing is continuing and trying my best to get through this year and then see if I want to continue / change course / go into work.

The issue is, I don't really know what other course I'd want to do. Do you? Or would you go into work? A LOT of people drop out so don't feel like a failure, sometimes it's just not what you expect, or you realise it's not what you want. Do be forced into doing something you don't want and wasting time and effort just because you're worried about how you'll look to other people and what they'll say.

This is YOUR life, so live it how you want and do what you want with it. Not having a degree is not the end of the world, despite what a lot of people say.

You're right, I think I will finish this year and try my best (my exams are in May anyway and I've made SO many notes. I'm just so overwhelmed.. with Biology there seem to be so many deadlines to meet and I learn NOTHING from lectures, I have been self-teaching since September. If I fail this year, then I won't be able to progress onto the second year anyway and that would tell me that that this degree really isn't for me.

I honestly don't know what other course I'd do right now, this is why I picked a 'respected' degree that probably has good employment prospects and that's the way I've always done things, I went for 'respected A-levels' too as I had no proper interests so just went for what looked quite academic.

Thank you for your help and good luck. :smile:
What is your definition of success? You don't need a degree to go get an entry level position paying 17-19k p/a (in London.) Play your cards right, work hard, within ten years you could be on 30k p/a. There's a certain amount of luck involved as well. In 2006, when I was 18/19, I landed a job at al-Jazeera running their tape library and was earning 26k p/a. That was in boom times, and at a pretty rich media company, but it was still a pretty decent achievement. So it can be done.

You don't need a degree to go start your own business, write a book or screenplay or any other multitude of things. It's drummed into people during school that they'll amount to nothing if they don't get GCSEs, A-levels, a degree but, in all honestly, that's just scare tactics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Magenta96

You mentioned science. If you're really sure you don't want to work in a scientific position then it's worthwhile investigating other degrees, or simply withdrawing and finding a job. It sounds like a few years working might be what you need.

For reference, I despise going in to university everyday, but i'm in my final year now. I did a work placement last year and it was the best thing I ever did - and all I want to do is be back working right now. I made it this far because I knew I wanted to work in science, but i'm wholeheartedly on the same page: assessments and studying isn't what I want to do.

Ideally, if you dropped out after this year then you'll be in a position to still receive funding should you decide you want to go back. You can succeed without a degree, but there's probably a larger element of luck involved. It really depends what you want to do. You could get a 9-5 desk job in administration or something, but would you be satisfied with it? Maybe you'd have a better idea what you wanted to do then. Spend some time now looking for what sort of jobs you could pursue, and see how the rest of this year goes. Make yourself a plan before quitting, because things might change between now and the end, but if they don't then this will be valuable to you.
Reply 6
I understand exactly how you feel. Im really not enjoying my degree despite the fact that I love studying and reading. I will come up with any, literally any, excuse to not go to a lecture and I do work at the absolute last minute. Whilst I've been here I've been working part time in a supermarket and whilst I don't want to do that for the rest of my life, I find it much more fulfilling- like I have a real point in life, something to work for. With regards to this 'passion' you lack, working will definitely help you locate that. or at least cross off the list whatever your passion isnt.

What I think I will do is try to finish this year (passing shouldnt be too difficult, im averaging 60%- 40% is a pass- with little effort) and then take temporary withdrawal so i have the option to return should I want to.

The most important thing is that you have something to go back to- be it a crappy job, an apprenticeship, even just studying for another, less intense qualification (like first aid or a driving licence).

How are you finding university socially and pastorally? that could be affecting your studies too.
I think where you've just non-stop studied for the past 10 years, you've mentally had enough.

Why don't you finish this year and then just get some life experience, whether it be volunteering or working and going traveling. I left college nearly 5 years ago and I've just decided what I want to study and build a career in, part of that was down to my travels so you have plenty of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending