The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

help an american out? Edinburgh, Warwick, or UCL

Scroll to see replies

Warwick as its part of the so called Waoxbridge.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Asklepios
Population of Edinburgh = 487 500, Coventry = 316 900. They're on a similar scale. I've never actually been to Coventry though so can't really comment on anything about the 'feel' of the city. Edinburgh feels more like a large town to me, comparing with Glasgow at least. Although, unless you want to go out a lot or have loads and loads of shops, then probably won't make a difference.

Edinburgh metro is arguably the number you want to look at (782k), corresponds better to the actual area of the city too (103 sq miles vs like 38 or something for Cov). For Coventry the 'built up area' measure of 359k is a better indication, can't use metro area as it shares this with B'Ham.City numbers are misleading because cities draw their city limits differently (eg Nottingham city has 310k people but that doesn't include the vast majority of the suburbs, most cities contain their suburbs within city limits; Leicester has 329k people living in the city of Leicester despite Leicester being a 'smaller' city than Nottingham in terms of it's greater sphere of influence including commuter area etc.). Having lived in Coventry, it feels like a load of bookies, a primark, and some run down nightclubs :tongue:.
Original post by Raymat
Warwick as its part of the so called Waoxbridge.

What about Manchester Met, that's part of Manchester Metroxbridge?
Original post by Wahrheit

No it's part of Metroxbridge: Manchester MU, London MU and Cardiff MU.

DUH!
Congratulations on your admissions to 3 excellent BA Econ courses. I did econ and it is a feat to get into UCL and Warw. For Economics programmes: UCL is ranked (Research Assessment) 4th and Warwick 5th, Edin just top 10. Entry requirements are high and grads at UCL and Warw place well. At both programmes, there is a focus on analytical skills and you will cover macro, micro, econometrics and stats. I don't think on undergrad level, you will feel vast differences in teaching and opps due to structured syllabus. On postgrad level, each has its strength, UCL performs well. But Warwick matches or exceeds in Macro, Financial econ, Behavioural Econ. Recruitment wise, firms target UCL and Warwick with campus recruitment (Finance, IBs, consulting and blue chips)

For international recognition of parent uni, UCL and Edin are better known abroad in various rankings (QS).

For student experience, London and Edin are large cities. Cons for UCL are the high housing cost for dorms with iffy feedback (£150-200 a week), transport costs and dispersed sports facilities across London. Edin and UCL have excellent student theatres and music, some agents look out for talents. There are more US students at UCL and Edin (mostly year abroad exchange or postgrads). The Warwick campus is a bubble with self contained sports facilities and dorms. I agree that the nearby Conventry is not a nice town (heavy bombardment during WWII).
Original post by Wahrheit

Nah, Man Met is not good enough to be partners with Oxford and Cambridge.
(edited 9 years ago)
Congratulations on having been accepted by three highly coveted Universities. I live near London and lived for many years in California. I would factor in the weather and the long dark winter days in your decision. London would be a bit better than Scotland in that respect.

If you love blue skies all-round , though, the UK may not be your first choice. I moved here about 5 years ago and I still find winters hard to cope with. I am Italian.

If you are in London you are, in effect in Europe.

Less than 3 hours train ride from Paris and close to many airports. If you are in Edinburgh or Coventry exploring other parts of Europe may be a bit more laborious. The UCL campus in Bloomsbury is in a great location. Steps from fantastic museums, theatres and a couple of tube stops from the City of London. I would choose UCL with no hesitation for an Economic Degree.
thank you all for the input, it really helps:smile:

One question I had about London is how much is the university involved in the student experience? Or are you pretty much just left on your own? Like at most schools in the US, students pretty much have everything they need on campus, and they spend most of their time on campus. At UCL, is there a campus that students hang out at, or is it just kind of scattered around?
To my knowledge UCL is located around Bloomsbury in just a few blocks. It may have other buildings and I am sure you can find out by perusing the website. This said many universities in Europe (with a few exception of course) are integral parts of the urban development. Many are centuries old and are not isolated self contained clusters like in the US. Think Berkeley vs San Francisco rather than Stanford in Palo Alto or the "up the hill" Santa Cruz campus.
Original post by california.girl
thank you all for the input, it really helps:smile:

One question I had about London is how much is the university involved in the student experience? Or are you pretty much just left on your own? Like at most schools in the US, students pretty much have everything they need on campus, and they spend most of their time on campus. At UCL, is there a campus that students hang out at, or is it just kind of scattered around?

In the UK university will be a different experience. It's more adult, people work more independently, alcohol is legal, it's more toned down. There's none of that "school spirit" nonsense and no big university baseball games. :wink: There will still be plenty of clubs and societies to get involved in though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Warwick! Warwick, Cambridge and LSE are usually the top 3 each year for economics, so out of your choices warwick is the best option. Also the campus is amazing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by california.girl
Hey guys!

just joined this thing, but I'm hoping someone can help me - I'm a high school senior from the US, and I've been accepted at the University of Edinburgh, University of Warwick, and University College London. (for Economics at all of them)

What are the reputations of these three schools in the UK? academic or otherwise:wink:
Are the students generally friendly and welcoming to international students? I'm trying to decide whether to go to the UK or stay in the US, so anything else you can tell me about these universities would be super helpful; I don't know too much about them.

Thank youu<3

UCL ftw!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending