The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Gonville and Caius College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ok, has anyone else got with their interview letter a Fee Assessment Questionnaire? And do you have to fill it in if you are a home student lived in Britain all your life, getting your LEA to pay most of the fees? Cos this is really bugging me. Help
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
yes, of course you do.
Reply 22
LiL Rach
o, and stay the night before, because it may reflect on your egarness to go, and that you have thought about travelling and having a fresh mind in the morning, browsing round, taking in the college.

kk ill stop now, lol i've just discovered this forum!

I think you're reading a little too much into this, to be honest. They provide rooms because not everyone can get to and from Cambridge in one day. I did, because I only live two hours away, and I got in without anyone questioning why I didn't stay overnight! Like was said before, it costs them money, and there isn't enough accommodation for everyone, so they can hardly maKe any kind of judgement of you based on whether you stay overnight or not. Maybe you're thinking more of the Oxford interviews where people are meant to stay for several nights? Cambridge isn't like that - they don't judge you on any part of the interview day other than the bit in the interview room, as far as I know! The interviewers aren't even going to know whether you stay or not!

Also, on the suit issue, it doesn't mean 'don't wear a suit', it just doesn't mean 'do wear a suit'. Basically, wear what you want, but be aware that most people probably will still wear suits or equivalent smart clothes (they did when I came for interview), and if you're at all easily intimidated you won't want to feel under-dressed. I reckon it's more of a confidence thing on your part than how the interviewer is going to see you, as if you're good enough it won't matter what you wear. That said, it never hurts to make a good impression!
Reply 23
cheewwy mate, alryt smart arse, was just a suggestion!!! no need to take it personally, im just goin on advice from successful applicants, nout personal. An it ent the admissions tutor i kno sorting out the accomadtion, but they may jus ask a bog standard question of how was the journey or what do think of cambridge, an u can jus drop in bout ur stay. i mean yeh obviously if u live close enuf then there ent no point stayin, but if it means u hav to get up at like 5am to leave then id think twice. mate i was not diggin, just spreadin advice iv bin given.
Reply 24
o yeh forgot to read ur last paragraph. and that was what i were tryin to say ish. glad we agreed on saink.
Reply 25
:smile:
Reply 26
LiL Rach
cheewwy mate, alryt smart arse, was just a suggestion!!! no need to take it personally, im just goin on advice from successful applicants, nout personal. An it ent the admissions tutor i kno sorting out the accomadtion, but they may jus ask a bog standard question of how was the journey or what do think of cambridge, an u can jus drop in bout ur stay. i mean yeh obviously if u live close enuf then there ent no point stayin, but if it means u hav to get up at like 5am to leave then id think twice. mate i was not diggin, just spreadin advice iv bin given.

you're applying for medicine - fantastic! :biggrin:
Reply 27
Nice to see all us Caius folks here!

My interview is on the 5th, for Law. i have 2 interviews and im very very nervous :s-smilie:

Really do not know what to expect! Could any other potential lawyers suggest how they are prearing?

I really don't know what to do, but Im having some interview practise from teachers etc.

Anyways good luck to everyone! all the best :biggrin:
Reply 28
Indie19
Nice to see all us Caius folks here!

My interview is on the 5th, for Law. i have 2 interviews and im very very nervous :s-smilie:

Really do not know what to expect! Could any other potential lawyers suggest how they are prearing?

I really don't know what to do, but Im having some interview practise from teachers etc.

Anyways good luck to everyone! all the best :biggrin:

Hey! I found interview practice very little help for the real thing, to be honest, but I guess it depends on how much your teachers know about it.

The best thing you can do to prepare is read a newspaper, and find some interesting legal-related issues that you'd be happy to talk about in the interview (as they are almost certain to ask you to talk about some topical issue related to law). If the format is anything like mine, you'll get some hypothetical legal problems to read just before you go in (arrive early!), so you can pick a couple to talk about in the interview. Expect them to argue with what you're saying, and try to hold your point. That's about it really -just don't worry about it and try to stay calm! Good luck!
Reply 29
Hello people, I've applied to Caius for English and my interview's on the 11th December :smile: Good luck everyone. I know I'll need it.
Reply 30
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

caius people!

if you guys get in then Milly87 and I may well be your mothers :biggrin: how lovely would that be?!

on the suit issue, i did wear a suit, a shirt, and high shoes. twas not a good idea. well, the suit was fine. a button on my shirt kept coming undone so i was flashing the interviewers everytime i made a move, and they sent me up a steep spiral staircase for one of my interviewers, so i kept falling up with my high shoes :frown:

Good luck everyone :biggrin: Just enjoy it...if that's possible :biggrin:
Reply 31
i was in a jacket, tshirt and jeans at mine. us MMLers are groovy 3rd millenium folk. lol

quite impressed at the number of you tho, good choice everyone! good luck!
Reply 32
hey,
applying to Caius for history, 3 interviews, 12th and 13th Dec.
slightly worried cause im not feeling nervous yet. any ideas of what to do between and after interviews, im staying the night. :confused:
allowthat
I have mine on the 5th December too for Medicine. I have three interviews, first one starting at 10am so I probably will stay overnight cos there's no way I will make it to Cambridge by 10am without being dead tired. Could possibly see you there. The suit thing is baffling, I will probably wear one anyway. They can't use that as selection criteria can they if somebody wears a suit they are seen as boring or whatever.

They might see it as an inability to follow instructions !
would any current caius students enlighten us on their experiences of college life? why it rocks, how much laundry is, what is it's distinctive feature?- i heard that the buildings are really 'dark'...:tongue:
Reply 35
23.3 on the bmat yey.
Reply 36
Vazzyb
23.3 on the bmat yey.

woo.
Ok. I wrote on my reply slip that i don't need accomodation. Now, i realised i do, as the coach i was planning to take only comes after 9. So now it will take me over 3 hours to get there. Do you think it's too late to phone them up, and ask for an accomodation?
Reply 38
idahodreaming
would any current caius students enlighten us on their experiences of college life? why it rocks, how much laundry is, what is it's distinctive feature?- i heard that the buildings are really 'dark'...:tongue:

Ummm .... well it's hard for me to be positive right now as I'm pretty ecstatic to have reached the end of term! (Wooooo!!!! Christmas!!!!) It's actually really really hard work ... I don't think anyone quite drummed into me just how hard it is when I was applying (or maybe I just wasn't listening properly?!) so I just want to make sure you are very aware of this! I'm constantly shattered and never even come close to finishing my reading, so there's always that added stress at the back of your mind that there is more work that you could be doing! A-levels (even if you do lots of difficult subjects, practically teaching yourself, at a rubbishy comprehensive, like I did) just do not prepare you for it!

That said, it is good fun, and I will miss it a lot when I'm back at home! The people here are lovely in every way, and there is always so much going on you will never be bored! (You'll have more trouble fitting it all in!)

Anyway - laundry is free, although rents are quite expensive so I guess it all works out the same!

Distinctive feature ... hmmm ... probably the food ... distinct lack of vegetables with most meals, and when there are some they're usually mank! (Although I shouldn't complain ... or I might get another whole corn on the cob as punishment!) Interesting combinations as well ... like salad and 'lamb curry' (or Caius standard lamb dish, also known as 'lamb casserole' and 'lamb steffanos' or however it is spelt, for a bit of variety to the menu).

In terms of buildings, I wouldn't say they're that dark ... I mean, King's looks as though it's never been cleaned since the days of coal fires (probably hasn't, bless 'em, they're such a poor college!), and St. Catherine's looks like an asylum of some sort ... to name but a few of the other much 'darker' colleges! Tree Court is really pretty ... S staircase is where we all secretly want to be! Inside the courts, at least, it's all quite light, but on the outside it does look a bit like a fortress ... but what does that matter ... you'll be inside! Anyways, in first year you'll be in Harvey Court or the new buildng/'Snake Court'/Wiggly Woo!! (Ah it's been a while since we last used that name ...!) which are substantially newer than the old courts. Harvey Court is a '60s multi-storey carpark, and the new building is a conference centre (very expensive rent, but with ensuites! Just hope we don't ruin it all too much this year!). They both have their advantages, but, living in the conference centre, I've become rather partial to the ensuites and pity the poor souls over in HC!

But, anyway, don't be too put off by my negativity! Caius rocks so much, and you will have a fantastic time!
thanks milly87 for answering, was losing hope that no one would reply! wow, this has made me really enthusiastic about where i'm headed on the 12th! :P

Quick Reply

Latest