The Student Room Group

Exeter for LLB Law?

I have received offers to study LLB Law at all of my choices and think Exeter is my favourite, however, some threads on here from quite a few years ago suggest that the quality of teaching for this degree is poor which has made me question my choice.
If anyone is currently studying law at Exeter please let me know how you feel the quality of teaching is, and quality of degree course etc. thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,

Thanks, from everything that I have read provided by the University and heard from the open day sounded like it was a really good course so I was a bit concerned by some other threads, however most of these are 5-8 years old so may be quite outdated and it is reassuring to hear that you are happy with the course.
I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to Exeter (AAA) and Cardiff (AAB) and just wanted a bit of reassurance before I make Exeter my firm choice!

Do you know roughly how many hours of lectures/workshops/tutorials you have each week ?
Reply 2
Original post by callum_law
Yeah, you should be reassured that you'll have a lot of fun here and learn quite a bit. The university has invested a lot of money in the Law faculty in recent years and is building a new Law building: it will only improve with time.

Generally, I will have one workshop which is 90 minutes long but sometimes that may be two 90 minutes workshops. There will be 7–8 hours of lectures, as well. A lecture every day.

Either university would be quite good simply for their Russell Group status which really does count a bit, but obviously I would favour Exeter.

Okay, thank you, also, roughly how much private/extra study do you do outside of the lectures and workshops?
Reply 3
Original post by callum_law
I am probably not the best person to ask as I am a very lazy student. However, workshops generally take a couple hours of work before each one. They generally revolve around a case or a point of law that you have to present to the workshop leader, so you need to do a bit of work developing a PowerPoint and obviously researching the area. I know some people look to put an hour in each night looking over lecture notes from the lecture that day. Not my thing. I study a couple hours a week on Law that I find interesting, not what is prescribed.

Ahh okay, so it sounds like with the workshops and lectures there is a reasonable amount of extra work to do but not an overwhelming amount which is good to know! Thanks for giving me some information on the course etc. I have open days at Cardiff and Exeter again in the next 2 weeks so hopefully I will be able to find out anything else there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending