The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing Course Info

Hi!

I'm planning on applying for Adult Nursing next year and i was just looking for some general information about the course.

-How far into the course do you start doing placements in the hospitals?
-Do you advise living away even if the uni is within traveling distance?(because of hospital shifts etc)
-What Universities have people applied for doing Adult Nursing?

Thanks in advance!! :smile:
Hi harreyd12,

I'm a 3rd year child branch student nurse, but I think I can help :smile:

Placements start anywhere between 1 and 3 months into the course, depending on where you go, and the course structure :smile:

I moved out of home (But over 3 hours away - so a bit further than what you're asking), but it gave me lots of independence which I didn't have at home. I am generally an advocate for moving out, although there are circumstances where that obviously wouldn't be practical.

For you, weigh up the cost and time of travelling to the hospital where you will be doing your placements and consider whether that is something you feel you could manage after a 12 hour shift. You could even do a trial run to see what it's like. Some student colleagues of mine have had quite a long commute to placements. They've said it's hard, but they've managed it.

Can't answer your third question! :P

Hope that helps and makes sense. Feel free to ask anything else :smile:
Joel
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the response!
I think I'm going to travel to get the whole uni experience, independence & like you said driving is the last thing I would want to be doing after a 12 hour shift!
If you don't mind me asking- what uni do you go to & what do you think of it?(trying to get lots of opinions to make sure I choose the right one!)
Also, I'd really like to work in the A&E department, would I be better off doing adult or child nursing? Thanks again for the response!! :smile: :smile:
Original post by harryed12
Thank you so much for the response!
I think I'm going to travel to get the whole uni experience, independence & like you said driving is the last thing I would want to be doing after a 12 hour shift!
If you don't mind me asking- what uni do you go to & what do you think of it?(trying to get lots of opinions to make sure I choose the right one!)
Also, I'd really like to work in the A&E department, would I be better off doing adult or child nursing? Thanks again for the response!! :smile: :smile:

I'm afraid I don't disclose what university I go to, just to maintain my professionalism.

I would say, the best barometer of a university is by going to visit yourself. You'll be able to pick up a vibe of whether or not it is for you reasonably quickly, and the behaviour and attitudes of the students is really significant too. Ultimately, different universities will be right for different people. For example, there isn't much night-life at my university, but this suits me fine. I'm not a massive drinker anyway, even if I had the time around placements and essays! But for others this will be more important to them when choosing where to go.

Obviously there are good and bad universities to go to, but the league tables will only tell you so much. Another example, you can pretty much ignore the employment % rates for nursing courses, as I don't know a nursing student who hasn't got a job almost straight away after qualifying!

Ultimately it's down for you to decide what is best for you :smile:

Aside from that, a few things to consider when choosing a university, in no particular order:
- Distance from home, and the area you’ll be living in (City centre/outskirts, population, ethnic diversity etc)
- Entry requirements and how likely you are to achieve them (it's good to choose a mixture of places that have higher and lower entry requirements in case you don't get the higher one)
- Size of the cohort (How many students they take on each year), will massively affect the dynamic of lectures and your learning.
- Course structure (Integrated or block placements)
- University facilities (Skills labs, specific healthcare libraries etc)
- Local NHS Trust that you’d be based on placements with (Do they have a good reputation? Check out their Care Quality Commission reports)
- University support services for health etc (Like counselling and dyslexia support etc)
- Accommodation
- Cost of living
- Social scene (Clubs, societies etc)

A&E! More and more now, we are seeing Paediatric Emergency Departments (EDs) appearing. So if you want to do that, then you'll have to do children's nursing. Any combined EDs will probably prefer you to have adult registration as this is the most 'general' of the four fields :smile:

Sorry for such a long reply!!!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending