The Student Room Group

Can a tutor write you a bad reference?

Gone back to UCAS, after 4 years for my post grad PGCE application. Feel like it's been ages and I'm so out of the loop so need some help.

I had a meeting with my personal tutor today, who had arranged my placement at a school and was in contact with the school during my work experience.
I haven't had any meetings with her for just under a year, (I tend to just stick to module and dissi meetings) but by the sounds of it my name hasn't been mentioned to nicely in the tutor staff room :frown:
(This is not to suggest I'm a problem pupil - but I learn independently rather than seminars and have some issues with how our course is assesed and marked)
Basically, I went back today to say I wanted to teach in FE education for English at postgrad, and I wanted her to be my reference (aswell as my module leader I get on with well) She said to me she didn't think I'd enjoyed the course and was shocked for my choice.
She said she couldn't imagine me teaching English and i didn't suit an academic enviroment.

I sent off my UCAS which contacted my references last night.
Now I'm worried...if she doesn't agree with me being a teacher - can she put this in my reference? I'm taken back now, my other tutor has agreed and said she is looking forward to filling it in and putting my abilities ect on there. But my personal tutor really hasn't given me confidence with my application. Can someone give you a bad reference or do they always have to be nice?

HELP ME :frown::frown::frown::frown:
I'd sue the **** out of her if she ****s you over.
Unfortunately, yes, someone can give you a bad reference- there is no rule against this. It would be expected that she would comment on your suitability for being a teacher, so if she can give concrete reasons why she does not think you'd be a good teacher, then unfortunately she is likely to do this. However, many people do shy away from giving negative opinions in references, if they haven't got anything good to say, they just won't say anything. This can lead to a very short reference or a reference with glaring gaps, which universities will understand means that the referee doesn't want to comment on those areas.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but unfortunately it is likely she will state she does not think you are a suitable person for the course, and if she does, it could cause you issues with your application.

Could you meet with her again to further discuss her concerns?
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Unfortunately, yes, someone can give you a bad reference- there is no rule against this. It would be expected that she would comment on your suitability for being a teacher, so if she can give concrete reasons why she does not think you'd be a good teacher, then unfortunately she is likely to do this. However, many people do shy away from giving negative opinions in references, if they haven't got anything good to say, they just won't say anything. This can lead to a very short reference or a reference with glaring gaps, which universities will understand means that the referee doesn't want to comment on those areas.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but unfortunately it is likely she will state she does not think you are a suitable person for the course, and if she does, it could cause you issues with your application.

Could you meet with her again to further discuss her concerns?

Well the thing is, she agreed to still write me a reference - and we discussed my ability and agreed she write on the terms I got more experience, which I am doing. I can't see why she'd write a bad one - but then again - I'm worried about her comments before our agreement. :frown:

There isn't really much more I can say too her now since it is sent off and I haven't got the experience yet.

(Turns out you have to apply for a DBS EVERYTIME you visit a different school dammit :mad:)
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Well the thing is, she agreed to still write me a reference - and we discussed my ability and agreed she write on the terms I got more experience, which I am doing. I can't see why she'd write a bad one - but then again - I'm worried about her comments before our agreement. :frown:

There isn't really much more I can say too her now since it is sent off and I haven't got the experience yet.

(Turns out you have to apply for a DBS EVERYTIME you visit a different school dammit :mad:)

Hopefully she won't write you a bad reference. Could you ask to see it before she sends it off so at least you know what she's written?
Hopefully she won't write you a bad reference. Could you ask to see it before she sends it off so at least you know what she's written?

Can you do that? :eek:

So much about UCAS i don't remember!
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Can you do that? :eek:

So much about UCAS i don't remember!

You can ask. She doesn't have to say yes. However, if she doesn't let you see it, you can access it from UCAS using the Data Protection Act, although a small fee is payable.
You can ask. She doesn't have to say yes. However, if she doesn't let you see it, you can access it from UCAS using the Data Protection Act, although a small fee is payable.

thankyou for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending