The Student Room Group

Mature student. Previously academically poor.

Hello,

I am 27 years old and left school at age 16 (2003) with a handful of not very good GCSEs and not much else. Since that time, I've worked pretty much continuously, generally in the media industry. I've been an archive research, edit/production assistant, tape librarian and am currently a live television subtitler. At school, as evidenced by my poor grades, I wasn't up to much, academically. However, I do consider myself intelligent (parp, parp) and feel that a huge part of my issues at school were simply disinterest.

I've now been accepted onto a Journalism and Media BA at Birkbeck, University of London.

My question to former mature students with a similar background to mine, or current mature students, did you find it hard to a) get back into the groove of studying after such a long time out of it? b) have any trouble following material/lectures/things of that nature? c) have any trouble writing essays and eventually your dissertation?

I do feel confident that, with the right work ethic, I'll be fine but it would be nice to hear some reassuring words.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi there. First of all congratulations on getting onto the course 😄.
Yes it is a little difficult to get into, especially if you haven't previously studied at that level, and writing academic assignments may be different to other writing tasks that you have done. There are some useful books and I would suggest that you get one in advance ( I recommend P Redman and W Maples 'Good Essay Writing' ISBN 978057023711). As you have plenty of time before the course starts, try and get hold of reading lists or examples of previous assignments so you know the kind of materials you will be working with. Good luck and I hope it goes well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you know how I might get hold of reading lists this early? I haven't had any direct contact with Birkbeck yet and understand that enrolment doesn't start until May. Same goes for getting a hold of examples of previous assignments?
They don't normally give you reading lists til you start.

I wish **** at school, but after doing my access course 14 years after leaving school it turns out i'm a genius at studying History.
Reply 4
Bbk is hardly the academic cornerstone of the University of London. You'll be fine.
Original post by Clip
Bbk is hardly the academic cornerstone of the University of London. You'll be fine.

It's also hardly an ex-poly though, is it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by kingoftheting
It's also hardly an ex-poly though, is it?

It's very well-regarded.
Reply 7
If you can find out who teaches the modules you will be taking you can contact them. They might give you reading lists if you ask nicely 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending