The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Studying full time with full time employment?

Hi there,

I've studied one year (a while back now) with the OU part time, and found it incredibly easy alongside full time employment. However, I've recently changed jobs and am working shifts up to 46 hours a week. Luckily these anti-social hours are condensed in to long shifts, so I am only working 3-4 days a week. I'm hoping this time around to come back and study full time alongside my current employment as I found the pace of part time study demotivating. Impatient, I know.

I've flicked through a few pages on here, and read a few experiences, but was hoping for some deeper responses.

What has been your experience of studying full time whilst in full time employment?

-Challenges?
-How you over came them?
-Tricks and tips?
etc

Thanks so much! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Not good tbh I do work anti-social hours (nightshifts) and it really messes with my sleep pattern (which is why Im awake now) if you can sacrifice a social life then its possible but it drains me to the point I cbf to study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Well, some people manage to handle it. I work 31 hours per week and I'm in a "real" full-time education at the same time. Sometimes I don't have enough time for my hobbies, but it is really possible and worth it. More money, less limits.
It is possible, it is NOT easy. I am full time and also at full time work shifts and going back onto night shifts soon so real anti social hours. I have no clue how to over come the obstacle's or any tips lol I need them myself ha ha!! xx
Original post by HurdlesToJump
It is possible, it is NOT easy. I am full time and also at full time work shifts and going back onto night shifts soon so real anti social hours. I have no clue how to over come the obstacle's or any tips lol I need them myself ha ha!! xx

Ive survived on enery drinks but not ideal tbh. Im tired now I will probs fall asleep at 10 and be wide awake by 2/3ish its annoying my sleep pattern is ****ed.. if I worked days I could be at my desk studying now but so drained and when I wakeup at 2/3 I gotta keep quiet as to not wakeup others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rugar Rell
Ive survived on enery drinks but not ideal tbh. Im tired now I will probs fall asleep at 10 and be wide awake by 2/3ish its annoying my sleep pattern is ****ed.. if I worked days I could be at my desk studying now but so drained and when I wakeup at 2/3 I gotta keep quiet as to not wakeup others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used too as well when I did nights at the beginning of my study but they make me feel cak! So stopped. Not that they really did anything for me lol. Know what you mean tho im tired I cant sleep but cant concentrate either so no wins there!! x
Reply 6
Thanks so much for the replies!

That's basically what bursts my bubble a little bit. My shifts alternate between days and nights constantly, and I'm worried that during the night shifts I'll drag behind and with the constant upheaval of sleeping patterns I'll lose motivation.

Besides a large investment in caffeine - Have you come across any other motivators?
Original post by Jjfsmith
Thanks so much for the replies!

That's basically what bursts my bubble a little bit. My shifts alternate between days and nights constantly, and I'm worried that during the night shifts I'll drag behind and with the constant upheaval of sleeping patterns I'll lose motivation.

Besides a large investment in caffeine - Have you come across any other motivators?

What motivates me is studying will result in better job meaning nomote nightshifts and crappy wage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rugar Rell
What motivates me is studying will result in better job meaning nomote nightshifts and crappy wage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm stuck with Nightshifts all my life because of the career I want (nursing, senior carer etc). I can do days too but they just don't fit in with children, school etc x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HurdlesToJump
I'm stuck with Nightshifts all my life because of the career I want (nursing, senior carer etc). I can do days too but they just don't fit in with children, school etc x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand as I have a child myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I wouldn't say it's easy both working and studying full-time but it's certainly manageable. I've been doing it now for almost 3 years (planning to finish my degree in the same time scale as a 'real' uni).
I'm with everyone that said the prospects of career progression make it all worth it - while I've managed to land a better job recently, there's still a long way to go before I'm where I'd like to be, and this degree will get me there.
I have done that for a year. Was very hard and stressful but I managed.

Would not recommend though, if I ever do this again will take on less at the time.
Reply 12
I worked about 25 hours per week whilst taking "full time" credits. It was MASSIVELY difficult - but thats the benefit of it...employers look very highly upon time management skills. Make sure you get a 2:1 or higher otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot though. It makes it a lot harder but it's definitely possible. If you've done it before then I assume you already know what it's like. I did it mainly because of time constraints and I wanted to finish the degree ASAP. Ensure you think it through because you do not want to sacrifice time for a poor grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending