The Student Room Group

Completely IT illiterate

When applying for jobs it's a givent that one is numerate, one is literate. It is also a given that one is IT literate.

I haven't a clue about Microsoft office. The only thing I can do is write a letter, and that's pretty much it!

Never used excel, access. PowerPoint.
I need to learn all these plus more.

Where or how or what resource is the best way to learn!

luddite
Reply 1
Original post by luddite
When applying for jobs it's a givent that one is numerate, one is literate. It is also a given that one is IT literate.

I haven't a clue about Microsoft office. The only thing I can do is write a letter, and that's pretty much it!

luddite

Well you can use a forum which is a good start so I'd not say you were 100% illiterate.

First you could look at the myriad of "teach yourself" type books. Also you can get a free trial of offce 365 to play with for a month or so.

Other than that I'm sure local colleges will do short courses and there's always stuff like ECDL.

personally I think depending on what job you're after you might well be fine. I work in 3rd line supporting Unix based servers and I only use very basic work and excel docs - mainly picked up through use rather than any training and as far as I know there was not requirement short of typing up a cv.
Original post by luddite

luddite

If the jobs you're applying for require proficiency and understanding with MS Office, then might be safest to stray away from the ECDL. Firstly, it's vendor neutral and if I remember correctly it maps with NVQ L1/2. Go with MOS, vendor specific so you'll be learning specifics. Besides people often frown upon the ECDL since it is quite basic.. Only places that really have it as the 'be all' is the NHS.. It's a requirement I believe..

As the user above mentioned, just get yourself a book, or watch some videos, and get a trial version of 365 and just be familiar with MS Office, if you want, then go for the MOS, can't see it taking longer than 1 month to achieve MOS Word.:smile:
If you only need to become IT literate then there are enough tutorials on YouTube to get the job done. You'll find all sorts about learning the basics of Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending