The Student Room Group

When will mothers realise that breastfeeding is barbaric?

Scroll to see replies

Well I'll be breastfeeding my babies. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
Breastfeeding in our wonderful, post-industrial world is potentially hazardous, particularly for the first-born infant, for reasons the WHO/UNICEF seem to conveniently ignore (whilst also advertising the benefits for mothers e.g. in terms of reduced risk of breast cancer). Doesn't take a genius to work out where the toxins depleted from the breast tissues e.g. during lactation cycles, and correlated with tissue cancer end up :rolleyes:

The breasts accumulate the highest concentrations of fat-soluble POPs (persistent organic pollutants) of any organ, and PIPs (persistent inorganic pollutants) e.g. heavy metals, such as lead, are released from osseous tissues (along with calcium) when a mother begins her lactation cycle and end up in her blood stream and guess where else? :rolleyes:

Great to hear from the other side.

Breastfeeding is a relic from the past and should be left there. It has no place in modern society.
Reply 22

The study dates from the 1970s and surveyed Peru and Jamaica... :rolleyes:

Original post by Colonel Agansu
Great to hear from the other side.

Breastfeeding is a relic from the past and should be left there. It has no place in modern society.

So sex should also be abandoned, it's a relic of the past and you can catch many deceases, whilst we have invented in vitro fertilisation.
Reply 23
You're doing too much.
Reply 24
I don't think it's barbaric- why is it? Its said to create that bond looking at it from an animal's point of view. After being breastfed, the baby identifies its mother, creating that 'bond'. That's all thats to it. No need for this uber conversation.
Reply 25
How about we let mothers decide what they want to do?
Original post by Blue_Mason
Saggy boobs are inevitable.

Have you seen the boobs of 65 year olds who have never had children? Look entirely different.

Pregnancy distorts them as much as the actual breastfeeding though.
Original post by nexttime
Have you seen the boobs of 65 year olds who have never had children? Look entirely different.

Pregnancy distorts them as much as the actual breastfeeding though.

No sir I have not, and Id o not plan on seeing a pair of 60 something year old saggy breast in my lifetime

Your bizarrely aggressive tone made me think you were trolling. The use of THAT as a source to debunk the entire Breast is Best campaign proves it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fodder
That's the most insane thing I have ever read.

I suppose going to the toilet is barbaric and what we really need is some suction tubes.

Nah man, 3 shells is where it's at. Just don't ask me how to use them.

OP: breastfeeding isn't barbaric. We should be celebrating the fact that even the most impoverished mother can provide for her offspring naturally.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Breastfeeding in our wonderful, post-industrial world is potentially hazardous, particularly for the first-born infant, for reasons the WHO/UNICEF seem to conveniently ignore (whilst also advertising the benefits for mothers e.g. in terms of reduced risk of breast cancer). Doesn't take a genius to work out where the toxins depleted from the breast tissues e.g. during lactation cycles, and correlated with tissue cancer end up :rolleyes:

The breasts accumulate the highest concentrations of fat-soluble POPs (persistent organic pollutants) of any organ, and PIPs (persistent inorganic pollutants) e.g. heavy metals, such as lead, are released from osseous tissues (along with calcium) when a mother begins her lactation cycle and end up in her blood stream and guess where else? :rolleyes:

But the benefits outweigh the risks?
Weird phobic nonsense.

Your poll is weird. Why does no = I was breastfed? Why is there no option for those who think breastfeeding is a perfectly fine way of providing sustenance to one's child but were not breastfed themselves? Is it because the only way you can rationalize the results of it is by saying everyone who doesn't agree with you must have been breastfed and thus are a part of the 'breast is best' crew?

That's sad. Just coz your mummy didn't feed you on the teat doesn't make you any less special than anyone else. You are certainly special.

Also, you do realize boobies were made for feeding babies, right? You might look around and just see a bunch of funbags that babies are ruining for you, but the babies aren't, are they? They are just using them for their intended purpose.
The claims about the benefits of breastfeeding are dubious and the scientific evidence is weak and more than likely confounding.

Systematic review of 69,000 participants from cohort, case-control and cross sectional studies showing evidence that breast feeding reduces of childhood obesity:

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n10/abs/0802758a.html

Meta analysis of 12 prospective studies showing protective effects of breast feeding and childhood asthma:

http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476%2801%2924448-5/abstract

Systematic review & meta-analysis of 18 prospective studies showing the protective effects of breast feeding on atopic dermatitis:

http://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622%2801%2937990-2/abstract

Systematic review & meta-analysis of six case-control studies showing the protective effects against coeliac's disease:

http://adc.bmj.com/content/91/1/39.short

I could go on.

Yes, breastfeeding is a big endeavour and can be demanding at times. It's not suitable for every mother, but to say there is poor evidence of its benefits is simply incorrect.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know what I'm more shocked at that you breastfed for almost 2 years 3 seperate times or that you are a mother of 4.

At any rate you're being overzealous in your martyrdom I have not insulted breastfeeding mothers. I, however, think many mothers are shamed into it or simply misinformed, see my post on misogyny especially in underdeveloped countries.

Your original post was actually derogatory towards breastfeeding mothers but you edited your post and obviously assumed I hadn't read the original.

No idea why you should be shocked at EITHER the fact I've breastfed for so long, OR for the fact that I have four children. I see nothing shocking in either of these things.

The fact that you think breastfeeding mothers are misinformed, frankly just goes to show how misinformed you are. If anything, mothers from underdeveloped countries who were manipulated by Nestle into using formula for their babies were the misinformed ones.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why is breastfeeding barbaric? It's not like you're feeding them poison ffs
Reply 35
Original post by Etomidate
Systematic review of 69,000 participants from cohort, case-control and cross sectional studies showing evidence that breast feeding reduces of childhood obesity:

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n10/abs/0802758a.html

Meta analysis of 12 prospective studies showing protective effects of breast feeding and childhood asthma:

http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476%2801%2924448-5/abstract

Systematic review & meta-analysis of 18 prospective studies showing the protective effects of breast feeding on atopic dermatitis:

http://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622%2801%2937990-2/abstract

Systematic review & meta-analysis of six case-control studies showing the protective effects against coeliac's disease:

http://adc.bmj.com/content/91/1/39.short

I could go on.

Yes, breastfeeding is a big endeavour and can be demanding at times. It's not suitable for every mother, but to say there is poor evidence of its benefits is simply incorrect.

Thank you. :biggrin:
Reply 36
I found this post because I am a breastfeeding mom involved in breastfeeding organization, so I get Google alerts to stay current on issues. I was so intrigued/flabbergasted that someone would think breastfeeding is barbaric that I couldn't resist clicking.

As a human animal, it's a very natural instinct for me to breastfeed my kids. Exactly the same as it is for cats and dogs or any other mammal. Barbarism or public perception doesn't even enter into it. It's instinct (at least in my case), pure and simple. I always feel a bit puzzled when people declare they are breastfeeding for one reason or another because human instincts transcends all that. It's nice to have reasoning to back up my choice, but that's not the primary motivator. The primary motivator is that the baby needs milk. I produce milk. Why would I go to a manufactured source for that if I don't have to?

I'm saying this having been 100% formula fed by my own wonderful mother and being completely okay with that. She's okay with me and my choices, too.
Original post by Foo.mp3

I would suggest that you put your tinfoil hat on, but then again, it's probably full of PIPs (persistent inorganic pollutants).
Reply 38
These chemicals are everywhere in our environment, thus their presence in breastmilk. A breastfeeding mom can decrease the chemical load by eating organic/vegetarian. More information here:
http://www.bestforbabes.org/science-you-can-use-worried-about-toxins-in-your-breastmilk-get-the-facts/
If breastfeeding doesn't have a place in modern society maybe women should/would've evolved to having no breasts by now? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending