The Student Room Group

Uni GCSE Entry requirements

Right, for the university course I wish to study I need the usual so many points from A Levels i.e.260, which is fine, as well as a C in Maths and English GCSE. I have a B in eng for GCSE, but only a D in maths, 2 marks off a C infact, I have resat the exam but the D still remains. The university says: "Normally you will need A-C grades in GCSE English and Maths", or something similar.
What does 'normally' mean? If you have a really good personal statement we'll let you in??

Please help!
Reply 1
I think it means unless there were special circumstances explaining the grade (e.g family illness).
Reply 2
It means that if you are like all the other people they may make offers then they will say no to you. Assuming your personal statement is outstanding as well as reference and grades and maybe interview then they will give you an offer regardless of your maths GCSE.
Reply 3
I think it's a bit rediculous that two marks should make a differance anyway...
But there must a be a cut off somewhere.
XxJaninexX
But there must a be a cut off somewhere.

:ditto: I think all unis require Cs in English and maths because a C is considered the lowest acceptable pass and those are the core subjects.
Reply 6
for my course i need a A in maths and a B in english ...but it depends with different uni's
Reply 7
((sorry i meant to say i needed a gcse in those subjects ^^
Reply 8
prash_s90
((sorry i meant to say i needed a gcse in those subjects ^^

right.
for what course at uni
medicine? :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Yeah, a lot of universities want a C or above in English and maths, hence I resat my maths to bring it up from a D to a B.Its standard.
Reply 10
hi

Yeh a lot of uni will require you to have maths and english at grade C as those 2 are the most important subjects. Im retaking my english and maths for 1 year and i hopefully get a 2 Cs by next year (2007). I got my AS/A levels ucas points which is fine. And believe me, if you apply to uni without grade C in maths and english they won't let you in, and I done that before so i had to withdraw ucas.

hope that helps you:smile:
Reply 11
hey i dont know if this helps but i was in the same position with BB in English and then only a D in maths and i re took with no revision an no classes and managed to get a C! no idea how......but i would suggest that you keep on tryin at the re takes......my uni only needed a D in maths for my course but i did it for later in life if your GCSE's are ever looked upon!
and i think with the normally is that it is what they would prefer and if the course is over subscribed its a way of declining peoples offers!

hope that helped slightly
Reply 12
Resit your Maths again? A friend of mine got D in gcse maths in year 11 and first year of college...then retook it in second year and they passed :smile:
_-Arctic-Monkey-_
Resit your Maths again? A friend of mine got D in gcse maths in year 11 and first year of college...then retook it in second year and they passed :smile:

Yeah, it took someone at my sixth form about 4 exam sittings before they actually got a C.
Reply 14
Ok...thanks for those, looks like I'll have to resit again then...1 more go!..
Reply 15
good luck xx
i kno the most dumb guy in my school who passed maths in his resits....and ur other gcse's grades are really good!...dont worry too much....if the dumb guy can get a C.... u can get A*....just revise hard!...gud luk!....the dumb guy also got FF for science...lolz..peace!

Latest

Trending

Trending