The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Lewisy-boy
Lots of people on here rate QM extremely highly, tbh I hold the same view as you but I was trying to avoid this as I always get loads of ppl coming on here like "OMGOMG QM has higher league rankings, look it has 5* research!!111one" or whatever. But I guess since you posted that, it's going to kick off now! For the billionth time: research means jack to undergrads, QM will still put you on a very good footing, the difference is not so big as to make any real difference... as is the case with most of the respectable schools.

To be fair QM gets a lot of slack. I'm not bothered though because it's down to you as a person at the end of the day and whether you work hard and put the time in to get a good degree. xxxx
Reply 61
seaspray
My opinion - :smile:

1. KCL
2. Nottingham
3. Birmingham
4. Manchester
5. Sheffield
= 5. Queen Mary

I'd go along with that but with KCL and Notts joint 1st.
Agreed with David, I don't think KCL has anything over Notts, except maybe location if you love London (I would like to think that employers dont prefer ppl from there purely because its in London, but I think they possibly might!)
Reply 63
I think KCL is slightly higher than Notts becuase of its reputation, but then again Notts is a really good university. Both are well known. However, I don't see how Manchester can be ranked higher than KCL or Notts, its not that much of a good uni, and it will not be ranked in the 5-10 in the next couple of years. For Law I would consider other schools like Warwick and Durham too, instead of Sheffield and QM.
Reply 64
SDDentist
I think KCL is slightly higher than Notts becuase of its reputation, but then again Notts is a really good university. Both are well known. However, I don't see how Manchester can be ranked higher than KCL or Notts, its not that much of a good uni, and it will not be ranked in the 5-10 in the next couple of years. For Law I would consider other schools like Warwick and Durham too, instead of Sheffield and QM.

Manchester is, without a shadow of doubt, in the top 10 for law. For law I would say KCL is ever so slightly better than Manchester, but overall as a university...Manchester, to me, seems to have the edge. It is certainly more difficult to get a place at Manchester than KCL.

(and this is comming from a kcl student)
Who said students live there???? The PARKHILL FLATS are the flats generally referred to as the blot on the landscape (and it isnt student accom)- the hyde park flats had a reasonable refurb done on them many years ago (co-incidentally for the world student games but students DONT live there) and have been impeccably looked after since...

Are you sure you're 18 years a Sheffielder?
I don't think KCL is rated higher than Notts by anyone who isnot obsessed by London, even (and I hate to do this) look at the recent League tables. Now, I'm not willing to say Notts is higher either because these differences are so small, they are equal. Just noticed that if you only look at the tariff section of the times (the part that counts for undergrad, not the other crap such as research, this score encompasses teaching etc) that Notts actually has the third highest score after oxbridge...
allymcb2
Southerners aren't friendly. Thats the main reason I like them, and I don't like ponies, or people who would step on grass when they had the option not to. The problem isn't that I am shunned in Sheffield, but rather that I am forced to have conversations with randomers who can't string a coherant sentence together, while listening to some drunk play the harmonica and looking out of the window at the horror that is Hyde Park on the way into town. Plus if you want to go in any of the off-the-beaten track shops or go to any bars or clubs you have to walk through emo village where you can't tell which are boys and which are girls.

I think this just about sums it up...
See you at Christmas honey :smile:
I'll concede this though: emos are scum.
Lewisy-boy
I'll concede this though: emos are scum.

I don't know where this emo village is that the moany girl is on about :confused:
Well, if such a place exists you probably have had the sense to avoid it.
Lewisy-boy
Well, if such a place exists you probably have had the sense to avoid it.

Why Lewis, was that a small compliment?! :wink: :p: :redface:
Don't get used to it.
Lewisy-boy
Don't get used to it.

lol I won't :rolleyes: :smile:
Elle, I can only assume she means Devonshire Green - but being as her geograpical/topographical knowledge of Sheffield seems rather limited she probably doesn't know the name of the place herself...
I actually hate living where I live, doesnt mean im anti-north... the place is jam packed with ruddy chavs... cant wait to get out of that crap hole.
Reply 76
Fireman John
Elle, I can only assume she means Devonshire Green - but being as her geograpical/topographical knowledge of Sheffield seems rather limited she probably doesn't know the name of the place herself...

Yes, I did mean Devonshire green.
allymcb2
Yes, I did mean Devonshire green.

I go through there a lot - a friends lives in the old brewery on eccy road, and we walk up to Division St across there.

Cant say Iv ever noted it as being an "emo village"! :confused: :p:
There's the skate park there... but it's far from "emo village" - if you go LOOKING for it, you'll find it... sadly I suspect our new friend (the hand of friendaship is still extended) has heard it on the grapevine rather than actually discovered it in person - you know what grapevines are like for slowly embellishing the realities of something!
Lol, just the thought of emo kids amuses me... skaters are bad enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending