The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

chupacabras
Im at Kirkstall, room sizes are resonable, onsite bar is good and fairly cheap. The only problem is noise, and security are pretty useless about breaking up partys, last night there were about 20 people in the carpark just outside my building from about 1-5 when they went back to someones flat for karaoke (at least thats what it sounded like).

Any opinions on North Hill Court?Please?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 41
Hi Ive heard good things about a company called CitiSpace, they offer student accommodation in leeds. Might be worth a look, the flats look nice.
Reply 42
A friend had a place managed by citispace, they do student accommodation in Leeds. Looked great.
Reply 43
matt@internet

EDIT:I think the crime rate is above average. During Freshers' Week someone attempted to mug my flatmate. However he punched the mugger in the face and ran off. And someone smashed a window on the 14th. I've no idea if anything was taken. Though I was talking to a sub-warden to day, and she said, because we're out of the way, we have a low crime rate. The showers are crap.

You what? when did this window smashing happen? or is my block very secluded and we dont hear about anything?

Not much to add about James Baille from what you've said...
Parking - lots of it, easy to get but expensive. Erm I'd say it was pretty safe but the worse that has happened to my car is someone lifted my aerial up and stuck a takeaway box on it. (p.s if that's you, you're mean :P) After 9pm don't expect to be able to move your car as the flipping taxis have a nice habit of just parking in front of everyone.

Showers - very true, they are unmoveable... so a short person like me has to hop around a bit to get clean.

Maintenance - good, came within a day when my shower broke.

Heater - rubbish, don't know if it's just mine but it seems to be on a cycle between hot and cold.

Rooms - most of the small rooms are the same apart from in our block (c1) flats on the right room A and flats on the left room F have a oddly shaped room and a lockable bathroom door, and a proper shower.
Walls, ours arent too thin but you can hear music. Also can hear people in the corridor outside at 3am.

I like the fact the security guy walks round with his alsation, makes you feel safer.
it's great, really glad i got put here :smile: definitely a good leeds uni accom though in comparison to the mets opal court we're living in a slum since they have tv's and swimming pools. that's not student living that's luxury :wink:
Look at the henry price bumper guide for info on that halls...i also have photos if need be
aliclare
when did this window smashing happen?

About a year before you got there!:smile: (Check the date of the post)
Ive heard the ensuite ones like leodis, carr mills and clarence dock are quite unsociable and stuff?
i would like an ensuite and can afford one but im the kind of person who likes to party and go out a lot! and i like making lots of friends and generally having a good time.
i dont know how true these rumours are? i hope they arent! lol
If anyone can tell me would be much appreciated!
Ty x
Reply 47
It all depends on the people they put in the flat, my flat isn't the most sociable to be fair.. 3 of us are similar people, 1 person is extremely unsociable and the other 2 have only just moved in so I'm still deciding on how sociable they are lol. If you make the effort to go out and talk in the kitchen etc it's fine.. just don't lock yourself in your room.
Very true. To be honest the main aspect that's going to affect the social life you have is the people you are living with rather than the accommodation you are in. You could be in the most sociable accom. but if your flatmates have the social life of a hermit you could find yourself having to use your own initiative and venturing out to other flats :smile:

There's not really any point in thinking about "rumours" too much, everyone's experience is different, personally I'm at Henry Price and share with 8 other fab people, the same may not be said about someone else. People clash/people don't have the same hobbies/some people don't like getting wasted every saturday night :biggrin:
lingo
I'm in lupton...really pleased with it....
good location, can walk to uni/town but also got headingley on your doorstep if you just need to go to the shop or want a quick cupla drinks

there arent any fancy facilities but everythings been refurbished within the last couple of years, so what you get is decent quality

value for money! well its debatable whether any leeds uni halls are value for money, but it is the cheapest

because its not massive, its quite social, i know basically all 40 people in my block, whereas ive visited my friends at other halls and they seem to only really know their flatmates, although bod did seem pretty social.....

downsides....rooms can be pretty small, some are pretty sizeable but mine is a shoebox, not that I really care....no common room, bar, flashy other stuff, there are some trees though....

that is all

To add to the Lupton stuff, I agree about the room size... urgh I'm in the smallest room but two in each flat are pretty big. Walls are PAPER thin... and you can hear stuff, even if it's not rampant... but unless someone is very lucky it's not exactly a nightly occurence. Really nothing special, but well cheap compared to the rest, £70 a week... the bathrooms are nice and big, two sinks, one toilet and a lovely hot shower between 5... but I think in 4 months I've only had to wait to use the shower twice... so it's not as bad as you might think! The worst thing is the lack of social space, the kitchen is pretty small, just a big round table and plastic chairs... but it isn't bad.

Also what they forget to tell you on the website is that it's literally 2 minutes from Somerfield and Wilko's and Superdrug and an Off Licence which is LOOOVELY when you've forgotten something and/or are desperate for chocolate. :smile:

xxx
Holliver!
I'm in Lupton and I do genuinley think it's maybe the best deal when it comes to accomodation. It's about 20/25 min walk to uni and takes about 10/15 mins by bus normally [unless it's rush hour when it's probably quicker to walk]. Flats are the same in every block and 5 people live in the flat. The rooms are all of pretty decent size, though all the rooms in the flat are evry different. If your lucky you'll get room 3 which is the biggest and has 2 windows. Though I moved from a room 3 to room 4 [the box room] which is still quite a good size. It's all pretty cosy as well and as it's all been refurbished the bathroom and kitchen are quite good. only thing is, is that the oven isn't the BEST so yuo have to leave stuff in there for a bit longer! toilet and shower are in seperate cubicles and there are 2 sinks so theres never a problem of not being able to get into the bathroom.

I know that they're increasing security even more here after my 'episode' [my laptop was stolen through my window while i was in my room. I was basically unlucky] and I knwo that they are going to put bars on all of the windows next year, not just the ground floor ones as I was on the first floor. I've found that the site staff are also great and really helpful. Basically I love Lupton.

Some pics:

my old room

kitchen

corridor

omgosh how on earth did it get stolen while you were in there? I assume that was last year? There isn't bars on my window and I'm on first floor.

xx
I just picked Leeds Uni as my firm
thinking of choosing Clarance Dock.anyone know if that's a good choice?
(i don't mind the distance to Uni i can always get a bus)

and how likely is it that you would live with friends if u put that u want to on your accommodation application??
Reply 52
Clarence Dock is really nice, got a few friends there this year, and looked round it when I was choosing. Ensuite rooms and in a nice up and coming area on the riverside. Only thing that put me off was the travel, coz I'm lazy and hate getting up early. Also good car parking there if I remember rightly.

Living with friends, not a clue, question for accomoffice I guess... but probably more likely if you have the amount of friends needed for a flat.
Reply 53
hey just wondering if anyone was staying in carr mills in september and if anyone knows anything about it please?? also id like liberty park as one of my choices but because its not part of the accommodations for leeds uni how do i go about applying there if i wanted to?? xx
Has any 2nd years moved into the triangle halls of accommodation, im really considering it, looks lovely, and is cheaper then the halls im in now (opal)
Reply 55
jessica*
hey just wondering if anyone was staying in carr mills in september and if anyone knows anything about it please?? also id like liberty park as one of my choices but because its not part of the accommodations for leeds uni how do i go about applying there if i wanted to?? xx

I was under the impression liberty park was leeds met, but to apply go to the website (www.libertyliving.co.uk) to be fair i would personally leave it until you know whether you have a place at your uni accom, as if apply for liberty park now you will be stuck in a contract. For example say you don't get a place a carr mills, and get somewhere you don't want to stay.. you could apply for liberty then and live there instead.
Carr Mills is nice, kitchens are stunning.. personally I didn't apply there because I didn't like the walk to uni.. and I went to James Baillie after Carr Mills and loved JBP more.
Reply 56
ahh right kk thanx alot, yeah il probs do tht...didnt think about gettin stuck inn a contract...i mean i think i will have carr mills as my first choice but jus wondered bout liberty park lol, i think one of my other choices will be jbp..so is it nice there then?? x
Reply 57
jessica*
ahh right kk thanx alot, yeah il probs do tht...didnt think about gettin stuck inn a contract...i mean i think i will have carr mills as my first choice but jus wondered bout liberty park lol, i think one of my other choices will be jbp..so is it nice there then?? x

yeah i love it here, in such a nice area compared to other places. Rooms are great, ensuites are fab (and you value them even more when you hear stories from bodington with loads of people sharing a bathroom, then all but one of the toilets breaks or something like that). all the staff are really nice, maintenance guy is there the next day normally if something goes wrong. regular patrols of the security guy with his alsatian to make you feel safe.
only complaint i have is my heater is a bit rubbish, and i don't think theres enough cupboard room in the kitchen but apart from that it's great. definitely come look round on the open day :smile:
Reply 58
ooo kewl, well im coming to leeds next wednesday for a talk about my course but i also want to come and find carr mills and il c if i can find jbp...i wudnt b able to come and see any rooms though would i?? itd b great if i could but ah well! lol x
There is an accomodation open day in April, its on the website.
But i think you can book to look at accom rooms at any time?

Latest