The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Parts of it are interesting, but vast swathes of it are dull as hell. The question you mention is a pretty good example of an interesting bit.
It would be more fun if we had a written/codified constitution like the USA. In the mean time we are stuck with judicial review (although I guess that strictly comes under Administrative law).
Constiutional conventions, rule of law, separation of law etc are all pretty fun topics as is election reform, House of Lords reform etc.
Things like Police powers and freedom of assembly etc topics I didn't really like doing.
Reply 3
Oh my God, I can't stand Constitutional Law. If I have to hear one more thing about Parliamentary Sovereignty... Gah!
Reply 4
superdillon
It would be more fun if we had a written/codified constitution like the USA. In the mean time we are stuck with judicial review (although I guess that strictly comes under Administrative law).
Constiutional conventions, rule of law, separation of law etc are all pretty fun topics as is election reform, House of Lords reform etc.
Things like Police powers and freedom of assembly etc topics I didn't really like doing.

How? That would make it boring, a mere interprative decision on something imposed on us many years ago. Pah!

Public/Constitutional law is great, if a little time consuming!
Ethereal
How? That would make it boring, a mere interprative decision on something imposed on us many years ago. Pah!

Public/Constitutional law is great, if a little time consuming!

What ever the form of law there is always going to be some interpretation involved. A constitutional document would expressly state how the law stands making it more debatable as well as more certain. You can't really have a 'proper' debate on something when two opposing parties don't agree on what that something is in the first place.
Reply 6
superdillon
What ever the form of law there is always going to be some interpretation involved. A constitutional document would expressly state how the law stands making it more debatable as well as more certain. You can't really have a 'proper' debate on something when two opposing parties don't agree on what that something is in the first place.

A written consititution isn't flexible enough. It would lock us in to a rigid system which we would struggle to get out of.
Ethereal
A written consititution isn't flexible enough. It would lock us in to a rigid system which we would struggle to get out of.

With the judiciary that we have...I don't think so, I think that one way or another they can do what the hell they like. I don't, incidentally, have a problem with that.
Reply 8
superdillon
With the judiciary that we have...I don't think so, I think that one way or another they can do what the hell they like. I don't, incidentally, have a problem with that.

A written consitution would fetter the judiciary's power, therefore, preventing your claim suceeding.
Reply 9
Here's something we don't over in Constitutional law much and that would be the implications of the disestablishment of the Church of England. :p:
Oooh the Church and State link, very controversial at the minute. I remeber it being briefly mentioned in first year, but I was too busy not caring :wink:.
Reply 11
Yeah most people don't care to be honest. In principle most people I've come across say they want them to be separate but it's not worth the hassle separating them properly.
NDGAARONDI
Yeah most people don't care to be honest. In principle most people I've come across say they want them to be separate but it's not worth the hassle separating them properly.

Strongly disagree. Separation of Church and State is very important in my opinion.
EU is way better than Constit... once you get past the general principles anyway and move onto stuff which you can actually relate to. Direct effect and all that palava sucks.
Reply 14
Lewisy-boy
EU is way better than Constit... once you get past the general principles anyway and move onto stuff which you can actually relate to. Direct effect and all that palava sucks.

For me it's a question of format. Probably why I don't think much of EU law. It's a different ball game. I like to think and say what if etc.
Think there was a case where the disestablishment (or lack of it) of the church was held crucial as went Human Rights, as it was held to still be part of the state and hence must be none-discriminatory... or i could just be talking *******s.

Constitutional Law is alright, and can be very interesting, but is based far too much on textbooks and not enough on cases for my liking. Its the UK, Parliament can do whatever the hell it wants, get over it!
I think it's based in HR, why should we protect Chuch of England (and Christianity in general really which is entrenched) when people of all religions live in the UK? That's the big deal, obviously there are arguments either way.
I love studying the UK constitution and the issues of reforming the House of Lords etc - but then again I love politics.

We have now moved onto the implementation of European Union law - far less enjoyable :frown:
Reply 18
LucyMP
I love studying the UK constitution and the issues of reforming the House of Lords etc - but then again I love politics.

weirdo :p:

We have now moved onto the implementation of European Union law - far less enjoyable :frown:

LT1? I saw some EU notes on the board in there on Monday morning. Was that you?
Direct effect, application etc ... the joys :biggrin:. They actually become quite useful and are extremely helpful in answering problems related to the more substantive topics, as with all the other background knowledge. Although I didn't learn those things in as much detail (so caled constitutional law of the EU) I did learn most of it for the exam, except hte stuff which was, with all due respect, irrelevant: such as the voting systems QMV vs whatever etc, irrelevant except for being able to say "this Article of hte Treaty should be preferred because the Parliamanet is more involved, demo elected blah"

Latest

Trending

Trending