The Student Room Group

Studying maths at a low ranked university

Is it a bad situation to be in if your plan is to pursue maths further after graduating? Does it determine how seriously you will be taken by perspective universities in the future? By low ranked, I mean Royal Holloway/York level.

Scroll to see replies

never heard of those
York is not a low ranked university as its part of the Russel Group. Royal Holloway is part of the University of London so is not low. York can be considered high while Royal Holloway is medium. The Russel Group universities are good for Maths and also the ones that were once part of the 1994 group. Forget about the rest.
Reply 3
Original post by Skαteboαrder
Is it a bad situation to be in if your plan is to pursue maths further after graduating? Does it determine how seriously you will be taken by perspective universities in the future? By low ranked, I mean Royal Holloway/York level.

I would look at an individual not on the basis of the university but on how well (s)he did, how much extra he investigated outside the examinable course/syllabus.

What you are saying is almost equivalent to saying:
I went to a bad school... Can I go to a good University?
Well, it depends on your grades and your subject interest ...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Those are far from low ranked.
Original post by TeeEm
I would look at an individual not on the basis of the university but on how well (s)he did, how much extra he investigated outside the examinable course/syllabus.

What you are saying is almost equivalent to saying
I went to a bad school... Can I go to a good University
depends on your grades and your subject interest
Are you saying graduating with top marks from one of the universities I mentioned is the same as graduating with top marks from, say, Imperial/Warwick? Because I would assume the latter means more, whereas in the school case as long as your grades are top it doesn't matter where you are applying from. Top universities would cover more material, and at a higher level/more in-depth as well. Am wrong in assuming that this is the case?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Are you saying graduating with top marks from one of the universities I mentioned is the same as graduating with top marks from, say, Imperial/Warwick? Because I would assume the latter means more, whereas in the school case as long as your grades are top it doesn't matter where you are applying from. Top universities would cover more material, and at more in-depth as well. Am wrong in assuming that this is the case?

you are correct but you are not reading my reply in full ...
if the Imperial candiadate has the same grade as you you can still beat him by
demonstrate interest by investigating and learning beyond the standard stuff
Original post by TeeEm
you are correct but you are not reading my reply in full ...
if the Imperial candiadate has the same grade as you you can still beat him by
demonstrate interest by investigating and learning beyond the standard stuff
So you have to do more to compete against someone from a better university. In other words, you actually agree with what I've said in the original post.
Reply 8
So you have to do more to compete against someone from a better university. In other words, you actually agree with what I've said in the original post.

I do
Original post by TeeEm
I do
Thank you.
Reply 10
Thank you.

my pleasure
Original post by Raymat
York is not a low ranked university as its part of the Russel Group. Royal Holloway is part of the University of London so is not low. York can be considered high while Royal Holloway is medium. The Russel Group universities are good for Maths and also the ones that were once part of the 1994 group. Forget about the rest.
I stand corrected, but I think York and Royal Holloway are good examples because I've noticed that they wait until third year to introduce some basic stuff that's first/second year at higher ranked universities.
I don't think it matter , your grades and reference matter , I moved from university to another because of distance but the main thing was my grades and reference
The universities you mentioned aren't low ranked, but if you want to do further study they'll (I think) want to see transcripts rather than just degree classification? 90% at York looks considerably better than 60% at Warwick, so they'll take into account the degree difficulty at the institution when looking at your grades I guess?
But think about will it be easy for you ? Are you at the same level as others ? If its much harder then it will be hard for you to manage
York is good.
Original post by Wahrheit
The universities you mentioned aren't low ranked, but if you want to do further study they'll (I think) want to see transcripts rather than just degree classification? 90% at York looks considerably better than 60% at Warwick, so they'll take into account the degree difficulty at the institution when looking at your grades I guess?

Most employers don't give a **** and Warwick > York in general. Aslong as you got a 2:1 or above, you're golden. Maybe for post-grad education they look into these things.
Original post by meme12
But think about will it be easy for you ? Are you at the same level as others ? If its much harder then it will be hard for you to manage
What do you mean?
Are you saying graduating with top marks from one of the universities I mentioned is the same as graduating with top marks from, say, Imperial/Warwick? Because I would assume the latter means more, whereas in the school case as long as your grades are top it doesn't matter where you are applying from. Top universities would cover more material, and at a higher level/more in-depth as well. Am wrong in assuming that this is the case?

Are you capable of Imperial or Warwick?
If so go to one of those and the question is moot.

If not, then you will need to go elsewhere - you will then have to compete against people for jobs who have A*A*A and a degree from Imperial - thats life
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Most employers don't give a **** and Warwick > York in general. Aslong as you got a 2:1 or above, you're golden. Maybe for post-grad education they look into these things.

Yeah the op was specifically talking about further study ie postgrad that's why I mention it. Totally agree that employers (outside of some of the big investment banks and that) just want to see that all important 2.1 from a solid institution. Once your foot is in the door, 5 years down the line nobody is going to care what degree you have they just care about your last job. Degree prestige is overrated.

Quick Reply

Latest