The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff uni accommodation

Was just hoping some current/former students could give me some advice. I will be studying (hopefully) my first year of biochem which I believe is at the sir Martin Evans building and was wondering where's closest most social and anything else you wish you had taken into consideration thank you:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Launa OM
Was just hoping some current/former students could give me some advice. I will be studying (hopefully) my first year of biochem which I believe is at the sir Martin Evans building and was wondering where's closest most social and anything else you wish you had taken into consideration thank you:smile:

Senghenydd is closest and the closest to town, but probably the smallest.
Talybont is about a 20 minute walk and the largest and most going on ie own pub and leisure centre.
University halls (where I am currently staying) is the furthest away 35 minute walk but there is a free bus service. It's generally the place where international students and people who had Cardiff as their insurance.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by BenLynch9
Senghenydd is closest and the closest to town, but probably the smallest.
Talybont is about a 20 minute walk and the largest and most going on ie own pub and leisure centre.
University halls (where I am currently staying) is the furthest away 35 minute walk but there is a free bus service. It's generally the place where international students and people who had Cardiff as their insurance.

Thank you very much do you know much about the differences between talybont north south and court?
Thank you very much do you know much about the differences between talybont north south and court?

I think they're all pretty similar tbh, I've only been in Taly gate and that's the classy one, but the most expensive.
Original post by BenLynch9
I think they're all pretty similar tbh, I've only been in Taly gate and that's the classy one, but the most expensive.

Taly south or gate?
Hiya!! I'm currently living in Taly Gate and love it here. It's a really sociable building because we're all on top of each other and its made even better by being brand new. It's a little more expensive but it is totally worth it. Everything is sound proofed so if you want to have pres you won't be annoying the other flats. Taly South is also really sociable but its a little grimier. Taly North is the cheapest but it shows. I hear a lot of people complaining about living in North and it doesn't seem to be very sociable. Taly Court is mainly postgrad or international students but I've not really spent enough time there to comment. I hope this is helpful :smile:
Original post by Ellen_Little
Hiya!! I'm currently living in Taly Gate and love it here. It's a really sociable building because we're all on top of each other and its made even better by being brand new. It's a little more expensive but it is totally worth it. Everything is sound proofed so if you want to have pres you won't be annoying the other flats. Taly South is also really sociable but its a little grimier. Taly North is the cheapest but it shows. I hear a lot of people complaining about living in North and it doesn't seem to be very sociable. Taly Court is mainly postgrad or international students but I've not really spent enough time there to comment. I hope this is helpful :smile:

Arent more postgraduate also in taly gate? As i saw from photos more sudents look older than those in south.
I put taly gate first but i am still thinking about the social life of it:/ it doesnt seem so social and i am thinking to change it and put south first
Original post by glorymanutd
Arent more postgraduate also in taly gate? As i saw from photos more sudents look older than those in south.
I put taly gate first but i am still thinking about the social life of it:/ it doesnt seem so social and i am thinking to change it and put south first

I also want to know more about taly gate
Reply 8
Has anyone applied for accommodation yet? I have firmed Cardiff but I can't find anywhere to apply for accommodation. Has the application system started for the accommodation process yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't been on here in ages.

I do biochem and live in talysouth, but I know people in most accoms. I would stick with one of the talys if I were you, most people are there and they are the most social. Gate is nice, but very far away for the price, right next to a massive tescos though. North is the same price as south but older and with a smaller bathroom. South is a good middle ground, but is still a bit grubby. Court is closest and nice but expensive and is quite unsocial in comparison to the others. Uni hall is miles away but cheap (I've also heard they're knocking them down). Senghenydd is old, a bit crap and you have to share a bathroom. It's good to predrink in though as it's so close to town and it doesn't really matter if you're a little rougher with the furnishings hehe. The others I haven't been in so can't really judge, but have heard they're ok.

If you have any questions, just gimme a message or something :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by GeogBerry

I do biochem and live in talysouth, but I know people in most accoms. I would stick with one of the talys if I were you, most people are there and they are the most social. Gate is nice, but very far away for the price, right next to a massive tescos though. North is the same price as south but older and with a smaller bathroom. South is a good middle ground, but is still a bit grubby. Court is closest and nice but expensive and is quite unsocial in comparison to the others. Uni hall is miles away but cheap (I've also heard they're knocking them down). Senghenydd is old, a bit crap and you have to share a bathroom. It's good to predrink in though as it's so close to town and it doesn't really matter if you're a little rougher with the furnishings hehe. The others I haven't been in so can't really judge, but have heard they're ok.

Hi, do you know anything about the liberty Cambrian point accommodation?

I'm also going to start studying biochemistry this September! Just thought i'd put it out there. So yeah, do you mind telling me how your first year was like on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If u have to choose the top 3 without taking into account the price where will u apply for?
Original post by Boss1
Hi, do you know anything about the liberty Cambrian point accommodation?

I'm also going to start studying biochemistry this September! Just thought i'd put it out there. So yeah, do you mind telling me how your first year was like on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's much closer than talygate, and nicer than talycourt, you get a TV and a double bed. It is the most expensive though.

I personally wouldn't put it as a top choice as the two people I know who live there say it's boring and people don't really go out much. It has a high % of Asian international students, some really quiet, but some legends, so I suppose it depends on the flat :smile:

It really depends on your interests. If you don't already know, all the biosciences at Cardiff have a joint first year so a lot of the chemistry you will already know (some won't have done chemistry already so there are a lot of refresher lectures in the first month). Cell biology and genetics have a lot in common with biochem also so you'll probably also enjoy those topics. Skills for science is mostly just learning to research ect and you can get high marks pretty easily so not too bad. Anatomy and physiology (especially physiology) is pretty bland in my opinion, but the anatomy centre is really cool and you get to see actual bodies ect. Microbiology and ecology is literally my least favourite topic, micro can be ok, but ecology will never be something I'm interested in. Dr Shore is a really good lecturer though and you'll have him a lot.

If you have any other questions, I don't mind answering them haha :smile:
If u have to choose the top 3 without taking into account the price where will u apply for?

1) Talybont Court
2) Talybont South
3) Talybont Gate/ North (more social and is slightly closer than Gate, bit of a dive though)

The latter at a push as it is pretty far away.

100,000) uni hall hehe
1) Talybont Court
2) Talybont South
3) Talybont Gate/ North (more social and is slightly closer than Gate, bit of a dive though)

The latter at a push as it is pretty far away.

100,000) uni hall hehe

In terms of social life which is the best of those? I apply for taly gate and im worried about that
Reply 15
Original post by Boss1
Has anyone applied for accommodation yet? I have firmed Cardiff but I can't find anywhere to apply for accommodation. Has the application system started for the accommodation process yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to log onto the Cardiff Sims website and you can start accommodation application through there! I done it the other day, you might have to look back through your emails to find your log on details or just reset them!
I've also applied for Gate as first choice and I put South as Second. I called up the accommodation office the said you can amend your application if you change your mind. They seemed more than happy to help.

In terms of social life which is the best of those? I apply for taly gate and im worried about that

From best to worst: South, north, gate, court. Gate is fine, know a few people there and they go out and have house parties quite a lot as they have the best accommodation. I just want to reiterate that gate is very far away from uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
I will hopefully be completing my pharmacy degree at Cardiff, which accommodation is the closest for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I'm currently thinking of applying to Collum Hall as my first choice. Only because it's fairly cheap, close to the Humanities building (I'm studying English Lit with journalism & media and prone to being late haha) and I NEED an ensuite. However I'm currently stuck between there and Talybont Court, could anyone give me any recommendations?

Quick Reply

Latest