The Student Room Group

Staying motivated

I have a hard time staying motivated to work out and eat clean. I really want to lose a bit of weight and tone up. How do you guys stay motivated and on track?
Original post by Mollygrayson
I have a hard time staying motivated to work out and eat clean. I really want to lose a bit of weight and tone up. How do you guys stay motivated and on track?

You struggle to stay motivated because "work out" and "eat clean" are horrendously unspecific 'goals'.

Motivation for me comes from accomplishment (progress). So for me every time I set a strength PB I get some extra motivation.

Also I take a long term perspective- I plan on being 5 years older, so when I actually am 5 years older, why not be incredibly fit and strong (keep training for the 5 years in the interim) rather than be horribly average?
I remember my life overweight getting breathless climbing stairs and having a floppy johnson then say **** that
Reply 3
Weight loss is mainly determined by diet, unless you're willing to undertake an intense exercise regime focussed on burning calories for weight loss. Once you focus on your diet, you'll notice good results in the long term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I enjoy it. I don't exercise, I don't work out, I have a hobby. If you don't find something you enjoy then you're fighting an uphill battle to stick at it long term.

I think 'clean' is a terrible concept. I eat a reasonably healthy diet, I cook most of my meals from scratch, put a bit of thought into getting a varied amount of veg and all that. But I still love cake and chocolate and eat it a few times a week, it's the moderation not the total lack that matters. I love food, I'm a live to eat type, so I've made the effort to learn to cook decent meals so eating reasonably healthy isn't painful.
Reply 5
Motivation is hard.
But once it comes -- you really find it -- it can stay forever.
Don't give up!
Keep grinding.
You'll make it in time.
http://bit.ly/14tdI5g
Reply 6
Original post by Mollygrayson

Think about how good you would feel once you lose that weight, tone up like you want to or build muscle like you want to. don't make your goal a side issue, but a good part of your day, find your passion for it and just enjoy the process, however slow the progress, all in good time. Self discipline and hard work.
Reply 7
Forget about feeling motivated. Motivation is very unreliable and no one feels motivated all the time. If your goals are dependent on feeling motivated 100% of the time you're going to fail.

What you need to do is find some means to make it difficult not to do what you should be doing. For example, only buying clean food, and having a set time for working out in your weekly routine to avoid putting it off til later.

Quick Reply

Latest