The Student Room Group

Mature students Veterinary Medicine

Hello!

I am thinking of changing my career and going back to uni to become a vet. I currently work in marketing (graduated 2013) and now know the business and office life is not for me. I always wanted to be a vet and have had horses and lots of animals growing up.

I will need to do an access course (no science Alevels) and then the 5 year undergrad course. I know I am signing up for lots of hard work (and a big bill at the end of it all!!)

I would be set to qualify just short of my 30th birthday in 6 years time. I wanted to see if there are any other mature students who are in a similar position to me? Be great to chat to those taking the same massive career jump!

Also any advice on best access course would be super..

:smile:
Hi

I am vet, was a mature student, started when I was 30, so I can understand where you're coming from! (But I studied abroad so can't help you with the access course, A levels stuff!)

You would be better off posting this in the VetMed forum as everyone there has lots of experience of applying to the UK vet schools, as well as the English-speaking vet schools abroad. There are also plenty of graduates and you most definitely will not be the oldest student!

One thing I do know is that not every vet school accepts access courses in place of A levels, so contact them before you start and ask them to make sure.
Do you know that you need at least 10 weeks of work experience? And in a variety of places: small animal, farm vet, equine vet/stables, possibly lab and abattoir. I assume you're working full-time now, so that's going to be quite difficult to arrange.

I don't mean to put you off, I am a prime example of never giving up on my dream (I failed to get a place to study VetMed at 18, studied Animal Science instead, then moved abroad and got a job in R&D for a pharmaceutical company for years, started vet school over here when I was on maternity leave and my child was 1 yr old!).....but you have to be realistic. I think most people on the Vet forum would probably suggest you would be better off taking A levels than an access course as that way you won't be so limited in your university choice.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I too am working but trying to get a vet med application together, I would be trying for a graduate course but I am nervous about being 30ish when you graduate and about the practicalities of having to move away for placements etcetera when you have a house and family! It would be great to hear from a few people about how they managed it, reading Clair's post heartened me to know people do it successfully!
Hey,

I am also a mature student looking to apply to vet school this autumn. I work in the city at the moment for a bank and similar to you, was unsatisfied with the office/corporate life and wanted to change. I also too wanted to be a vet back at school but didn't follow through on this and ended up pursuing a career i wasn't overly passionate about.

I studied part time last year for A-level biology (1 year intensive course) whilst still working and completed this, so now I think I am in a good position to apply to vet school. I am just arranging all of my work experience at the moment which has been very challenging to say the least!

I would say take it step by step and focus on getting the grades you need to get into the course. Call up the admissions departments for each uni and ask them if they do accept the access course ( I think some do) and try to find a good course near you. If you'd prefer to do a levels, there are courses out there which combine the AS and A2 element of the A level in one year which may save you some time if you go down this route.

It's good you know that the office live isn't for you and good on you for considering making a change. I think it's clearly achievable to change career and become a vet (although it is a very long and tough road!) If it's truly what you want to do, keep on the path, stay determined and keep ploughing through and I'm sure you'll make it one day. I will also be around 30ish once i complete the course (if i get in for 2017 that is) but this hasn't really dampened my determination to give it a go. Glad to know there is more of us out there!

All the best :smile:
Hi!
Certainly found this interesting, I'm currently one year ahead of your plan. I applied to veterinary medicine this year and am currently doing an Access to HE science course. I also worked for a business for over a year and realized it wasn't for me.

So from what i remember most Vet unis accept access and this is what they all wanted when I was applying (but it might change or i could be wrong!)
Surrey - 30 Distinctions 15 Bio 15 Chem 15 Merit Maths - the rest Merit
RVC - 30 Distinctions 15 Bio 15 Chem - the rest Merit
Bristol - 30 Distinctions 12 Bio 12 Chem - the rest Merit
Nottingham 6-year prelim - 30 Distinctions (not specific) the rest Merit
Liverpool when i last checked only accept Access to Medicine - but i wouldn't recommend doing this if the other unis like Science. As far as I know both the Scottish schools don't accept Access.

Access to Science courses differ from college to college. On my access course there is only a max of 6 credits in Maths - so no Surrey and max 12 Chem - so no RVC. I would recommend you ring any local colleges that do Access science and ask about course structure as it would be better to have more choice of Unis

Saying this I applied to the two remaining Bristol and Nottingham Prelim year.

This was meant to be a quick break down of what i know, if you want any more advice/ questions don't hesitate to ask me as it is quite unknown way of getting to vet school. I know how much of a decision it is to start this process so I'd be happy to help where i can :biggrin: Best of luck!

Edit: after reading other comments. I thought I would mention what I've done so far. I quit my job in May of last year after being accepted for college in Sept (It's not even been a year yet!) Spent the summer doing 8 weeks work experience at Small Vet, Large Vet, Dairy Farm, Zoo + R.S.P.C.A. Then I started college and also took on G.C.S.E Chem as it was needed for applying to Bristol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Pupster32, where did you do your 1-year ALevel in Biology? That's exactly the type of course I'm looking to do...

Original post by Pupster32
Hey,

I am also a mature student looking to apply to vet school this autumn. I work in the city at the moment for a bank and similar to you, was unsatisfied with the office/corporate life and wanted to change. I also too wanted to be a vet back at school but didn't follow through on this and ended up pursuing a career i wasn't overly passionate about.

I studied part time last year for A-level biology (1 year intensive course) whilst still working and completed this, so now I think I am in a good position to apply to vet school. I am just arranging all of my work experience at the moment which has been very challenging to say the least!

I would say take it step by step and focus on getting the grades you need to get into the course. Call up the admissions departments for each uni and ask them if they do accept the access course ( I think some do) and try to find a good course near you. If you'd prefer to do a levels, there are courses out there which combine the AS and A2 element of the A level in one year which may save you some time if you go down this route.

It's good you know that the office live isn't for you and good on you for considering making a change. I think it's clearly achievable to change career and become a vet (although it is a very long and tough road!) If it's truly what you want to do, keep on the path, stay determined and keep ploughing through and I'm sure you'll make it one day. I will also be around 30ish once i complete the course (if i get in for 2017 that is) but this hasn't really dampened my determination to give it a go. Glad to know there is more of us out there!

All the best :smile:
Original post by Daphna.S
Pupster32, where did you do your 1-year ALevel in Biology? That's exactly the type of course I'm looking to do...

I did this course at Campbell Harris ( a private school in South Ken in London). Just google them and their details should come up. They start their courses in September/October time. It was a little expensive (but only a little more than some other adult classes I saw in London). The teaching quality is good but the way they handled the coursework was pretty poor! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 7
I actually looked into this course. Put them on the side for the time being as I hope to find a course which is eligible for the 24+ advances learning loans - and they are not as they're private.
Can I ask what you mean by poor handling of the coursework? Sorry, just trying to get as much info as I can as they are still on the table! thank you :smile:

Original post by Pupster32
I did this course at Campbell Harris ( a private school in South Ken in London). Just google them and their details should come up. They start their courses in September/October time. It was a little expensive (but only a little more than some other adult classes I saw in London). The teaching quality is good but the way they handled the coursework was pretty poor! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Hi,

How have you all faired so far in your goals?
I started my change in career 3 years ago to get into vet school as a mature student. I have been offered a place at Surrey for vet med. will be 27 when I start.
Have any of you had any luck?

I did alevels by the way, and applied with final grades of AAA.
Sorry for the late reply! (probably won't help now).

They were meant to have 2 teachers (one for the syllabus and one for the coursework). The teacher for the coursework never turned up so therefore the teacher for the syllabus had to cover the coursework too and he didn't know too much about it. In the end we didn't get too much help at all and had to rely on the internet and other places.

Hope that helps!
Reply 10
Original post by Parzlee101
Hello!

I am thinking of changing my career and going back to uni to become a vet. I currently work in marketing (graduated 2013) and now know the business and office life is not for me. I always wanted to be a vet and have had horses and lots of animals growing up.

I will need to do an access course (no science Alevels) and then the 5 year undergrad course. I know I am signing up for lots of hard work (and a big bill at the end of it all!!)

I would be set to qualify just short of my 30th birthday in 6 years time. I wanted to see if there are any other mature students who are in a similar position to me? Be great to chat to those taking the same massive career jump!

Also any advice on best access course would be super..

:smile:

Hi, it’s been 2 years since you posted this :smile: how are you getting on? Did you start your access course? :smile:
Reply 11
As a mature student do you still have to apply through ucas?
Reply 12
Original post by Cowie315
Hi,

How have you all faired so far in your goals?
I started my change in career 3 years ago to get into vet school as a mature student. I have been offered a place at Surrey for vet med. will be 27 when I start.
Have any of you had any luck?

I did alevels by the way, and applied with final grades of AAA.

I have three A stars - was doing pharmacy but want to change half way through - missed the application deadline on ucas oct 15 - but someone said as a mature student you dont apply through ucas - is this true ? Really keen to start this sept - will have all work experience
Original post by Annasha
I have three A stars - was doing pharmacy but want to change half way through - missed the application deadline on ucas oct 15 - but someone said as a mature student you dont apply through ucas - is this true ? Really keen to start this sept - will have all work experience

I'm a mature student, I'm half way through an access to HE Science course... we are all over 19 so all classed as Mature Students and we all applied through UCAS to University, one person on my course has applied for Vet Med through UCAS. I think who ever said mature students don't apply through UCAS is wrong.

You should be able to apply via UCAS any time before July, but it will go through clearing. If your grades are good and you have work experience you should be OK thoughand stand a good chance of an offer.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi, I am a mature student, currently halfway through my first year of VetMed at the University of Surrey. You definitely have to apply through UCAS, the deadline is the 15th of October. I also did an Access Course and I needed 39 credits at Distinction, including 15 in Chemistry and 15 in Biology and 6 at Merit. Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Hi there, appreciate this thread is a few years old now but I was interested in how your journey proceeded after this post. I'm nearly 40 an in a very similar position so I'l looking to research other's path as much as possible. I know it's a long shot that you will even see this post but if you do I'd be grateful for any advice. ThanksR
Reply 16
Original post by CLauren
Hi, I am a mature student, currently halfway through my first year of VetMed at the University of Surrey. You definitely have to apply through UCAS, the deadline is the 15th of October. I also did an Access Course and I needed 39 credits at Distinction, including 15 in Chemistry and 15 in Biology and 6 at Merit. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

hi lauren,

which access course did you take ? and how was it ? im based in surrey so looking at the lambeth college access to medicine and medical biosciences (veterinary science pathway). did you apply to unis before or during your access course ?
i'd really appreciate any info/advice on applying & the access course ... also what kind of questions and experience the unis requested from you in the application process ?

thanks so much :smile:
Hello, would love some advice or to talk to people in a similar position to me. I have always wanted to be a vet and teachers put me off applying at school, I've almost applied a few times since then and something keeps stopping me but I am now a teacher and see pupils going off to study veterinary medicine and each time my heart breaks a little. I am 30, I have a PhD in Biophotonics and have spent many summers volunteering in animal sanctuaries in various places around the world. I still have a good 35 odd years of work left in me so why not aim for the dream job. I worry about the financial side of things and the time commitment though, especially when I am at the stage of my life when I would like to start a family and am house hunting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending