The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Best halls to live in

What do you think are the best halls to live in? And the worst? Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Best: Rootes for the social side and price. Jack Martin if you absolutely need an ensuite.
Worst: Cryfield, Westwood or Whitefields.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Lethorio
Best: Rootes for the social side and price. Jack Martin if you absolutely need an ensuite.
Worst: Cryfield, Westwood or Whitefields.

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by egondargento
Why?

Westwood is far, Whitefields is due demolition, Cryfield... I dunno. Some say it's modelled on the layout of a Swedish women's prison, others say it's built on the site of an old prison...

Every hall has their own positives and their negatives. But it really doesn't matter in the end :nah:
Reply 4
Original post by Nirgilis
Westwood is far, Whitefields is due demolition, Cryfield... I dunno. Some say it's modelled on the layout of a Swedish women's prison, others say it's built on the site of an old prison...

Every hall has their own positives and their negatives. But it really doesn't matter in the end :nah:

Thanks. Which ones are the best in your opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. Which ones are the best in your opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I lived in Arthur Vick, so slightly bias in that favour :wink:
Reply 6
I lived in Westwood it's far from main campus (15min walk!!) on the plus side it close to tescos and the post room (where you collect your parcels, quite convenient if you intend on using Amazon, ASOS etc. regularly)
Original post by Nirgilis
Well I lived in Arthur Vick, so slightly bias in that favour :wink:

That's the accommodation I would like to live at. :biggrin: What did you think of it?
Reply 9
I'm can't choose between Arthur Vick and Jack Martin. Any advice? (Bluebell might also be an option but is it worth the money?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am bias as I do live in Whitefields but I will give you my opinions from what I've heard and seen.

Arthur Vick seems nice. Big kitchens. People say it tends to be quiet but it really depends. Shorter let means you have to vacate your room during the breaks.

Bluebell is v. nice, good location, nice views but from my experience is extremely unsociable. I think if you really want an ensuite, JM or AV is much better.

Claycroft is fairly modern, but a bit out of the way but then again it's close to Tesco

Cryfield, quite cramped but otherwise OK. location is nice. Very cheap but having to move out because shorter let is a pain.

Heronbank, never been, seems a bit out of the way though. Cheaper option for a 39 week let (longer let) ensuite than Bluebell

Jack Martin is a nice, good location very close to everything, big kitchens, people say it is more social than AV.

Redfern, I didn't even know it existed

Rootes - Standard accommodation, proper 'student' feel, good location, known for being rowdy but there are 'quiet' blocks too.

Sherbourne - Very nice rooms and kitchens, out of the way a bit, good atmosphere

Westwood has big rooms, big common area, close to tescos and the post room, but it is out of the way. If you are doing anything on Gibbet Hill (Life Sciences, some Psychology modules) I wouldn't recommend it because its a really long walk.

Whitefields - Similar to rootes very standard accommodation, common room is nice, kitchen is too small for 12 though. Homely feel, great location (Close to Costcutter, The SU, Terrace Bar, the pub, and the social space where you can play pool ect.) and very cheap.

I'd say go for the cheaper ones rather than the expensive ones, you'll love wherever you end up.
In your second year, accommodation can be more expensive specially if you chose to live in Leamington so go for a cheaper one and save that money for your 2nd and 3rd year. With that in mind, I would say

Best:
Rootes, Whitefields, AV/JM

Worst:
Bluebell (too expensive!), Westwood (too far) and Cryfield (Too small)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by gaby_xo
I am bias as I do live in Whitefields but I will give you my opinions from what I've heard and seen.

Arthur Vick seems nice. Big kitchens. People say it tends to be quiet but it really depends. Shorter let means you have to vacate your room during the breaks.

Bluebell is v. nice, good location, nice views but from my experience is extremely unsociable. I think if you really want an ensuite, JM or AV is much better.

Claycroft is fairly modern, but a bit out of the way but then again it's close to Tesco

Cryfield, quite cramped but otherwise OK. location is nice. Very cheap but having to move out because shorter let is a pain.

Heronbank, never been, seems a bit out of the way though. Cheaper option for a 39 week let (longer let) ensuite than Bluebell

Jack Martin is a nice, good location very close to everything, big kitchens, people say it is more social than AV.

Redfern, I didn't even know it existed

Rootes - Standard accommodation, proper 'student' feel, good location, known for being rowdy but there are 'quiet' blocks too.

Sherbourne - Very nice rooms and kitchens, out of the way a bit, good atmosphere

Westwood has big rooms, big common area, close to tescos and the post room, but it is out of the way. If you are doing anything on Gibbet Hill (Life Sciences, some Psychology modules) I wouldn't recommend it because its a really long walk.

Whitefields - Similar to rootes very standard accommodation, common room is nice, kitchen is too small for 12 though. Homely feel, great location and very cheap.

I'd say go for the cheaper ones rather than the expensive ones, you'll love wherever you end up.
In your second year, accommodation can be more expensive specially if you chose to live in Leamington so go for a cheaper one and save that money for your 2nd and 3rd year. With that in mind, I would say

Best:
Rootes, Whitefields, AV/JM

Worst:
Bluebell (too expensive!), Westwood (too far) and Cryfield (Too small)

Thank you very much. It's really helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone quote me please just so i dont lose the thread? i have been trying to find this thread and it took me ages! thanks!
Original post by tazza ma razza
can someone quote me please just so i dont lose the thread? i have been trying to find this thread and it took me ages! thanks!

There you go :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by gaby_xo
There you go :smile:

What do you study at Warwick by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jack martin is the one i will be applying for - i remember on the open day it was the busiest accomodation block
Reply 16
Jack martin is the one i will be applying for - i remember on the open day it was the busiest accomodation block

Me too, Jack Martin seems amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me too, Jack Martin seems amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you apply for? I applied for Accounting and Finance :smile:
Reply 18
What did you apply for? I applied for Accounting and Finance :smile:

Management

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very nice!

Just occurred to me, jack martin is the one near the centre of the campus isn't it? If i remember, the business school is on the outskirts of campus as well... something of a commute to lectures then :/

Still JM is deffo the best imo :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest