The Student Room Group

Do you find somebody who doesn't drink 'boring'?

Scroll to see replies

I don't drink or party much but personally I've been told that I'm very interesting and mysterious. I do fun things all the time- video gaming, wind surfing, sailing, travelling, drawing, reading, writing ect You don't have to conform to the norm to be a cool person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sweetpea000
I don't drink or party much but personally I've been told that I'm very interesting and mysterious. I do fun things all the time- video gaming, wind surfing, sailing, travelling, drawing, reading, writing ect You don't have to conform to the norm to be a cool person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you do a lot of solitary activities.

have a cookie.
Reply 62
Original post by cole-slaw
1. don't link to youtube videos.

2. I said alcohol, not chronic long term misuse of alcohol.

starvation is not the answer to obesity. similarly, teetotalism is not the answer to chronic long term alcoholism.

But, your advice might have been given to someone with addictive personality traits, you don't know them so such advice is risky.

Ok you don't want to click on the link fair enough, I'm sure you can imagine the image though. Healthy lungs vs smoker's lungs...
You wouldn't get addicted, cigarettes are utterly foul, they taste like **** and make you feel sick.

How come moderate drinkers consistently live longer and have higher quality of lives than teetotallers then?

You need to look at the science.

People do get addicted evidently... I don't want to be one of them. I don't trust myself. End of. You ignored the heroine part :rolleyes:

You keep drinking that elixir of life :wink:
Original post by Racoon
But, your advice might have been given to someone with addictive personality traits, you don't know them so such advice is risky.

Ok you don't want to click on the link fair enough, I'm sure you can imagine the image though. Healthy lungs vs smoker's lungs...

Yeah, but chances are 20-1 they're not.

Trying 1 cigarette does not give you smoker's lungs.
Reply 65
Yeah, but chances are 20-1 they're not.

Trying 1 cigarette does not give you smoker's lungs.

Most smokers start with one, don't like it but try another one anyway.
So you do a lot of solitary activities.

have a cookie.

"video gaming, wind surfing, sailing, travelling"

You can do all of those things with other people.
Original post by Racoon

Most non smokers start with one, don't like it but try another one anyway.

There are more non-smokers than smokers.
Reply 68
Look, as long as you like to have fun, and know how to have fun, then it's all good. If you can vibe with your buddies whether they're drinking, on drugs, or whatever things should be just fine. At the end of the day social interaction is really just about being on the same wavelength. And you can manage that even if you haven't had anything to alter your mind state.
Reply 69
I've never had alcohol to drink and have been out on some great nights. I've seen things that should never be repeated and not shared them the next morning, unless I've been asked directly 'Did I do anything embarrassing?' I don't judge my friends (whether drunk or not) and like the fact that they don't judge me for my decision not to drink. You should base your decisions on someone's personality, not how drunk they get. My partner drinks and I don't have a problem with this. He doesn't have a problem with me not drinking and always has a lift home!
I think the title of this thread is slightly misleading, is it not?

Surely it should be ''Do you find someone who doesn't get drunk boring?''. I mean I drink as it goes, I just don't enjoy getting drunk anymore, I find it's a really boring, disorganised buzz, plus the potential sickness. I used to get drunk though along with everyone else, but got bored of it when I was about 18.

Why on earth would you find someone boring simply for not having one beer? I think the OP is referring to going proper on the lash, no?

Edit - I do find people who get drunk all the time tend to be real boring when they're not drinking. They incredibly ''bubbly'' and ''anything goes'' personality you see them wearing when they're out tends to come from a bottle or a glass.

Original post by Racoon

I used to smoke although I vape now. I have found nicotine to be a most enjoyable buzz, much like caffeine. When I started smoking, I enjoyed my first cigarette, and I was looking or a way to relax, and so started smoking. However, I could never understand why people start smoking if they don't like it? That's just weird.
I was aware though that it's most unhealthy which is why I started vaping, which I enjoy more actually. Tastes better, purer, selection of flavours, lungs feel better, don't smell like ashtray etc etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Anonymous
I always find it a bit awkward to say 'I don't drink'. For example, when I first started university, my flatmates and I were all talking, then they started talking about how drunk they'd get tomorrow and asking me which drinks I liked.. to which I just said I don't drink and I've never drank before. I felt like it sort of killed the mood but I'd rather be honest than pretend to be somebody that I'm not.

What about if your girlfriend just suddenly told you one day she didn't drink? Again, I just can't help but think I give off the impression that because I don't drink, I'm boring, uptight, a bit too responsible etc, do you really think this?

I personally can relate to this, as I don't drink and I can tell when I've told people this they think I'm weird.

It's rather sad really

Surely if you need to drink to enjoy yourself, there's something deeply wrong there.

Not that drinking is bad, it does help you relax but I've never had to drink to enjoy myself, usually I've just done it to fit in.
Original post by zKlown
I personally can relate to this, as I don't drink and I can tell when I've told people this they think I'm weird.

It's rather sad really

Surely if you need to drink to enjoy yourself, there's something deeply wrong there.

Not that drinking is bad, it does help you relax but I've never had to drink to enjoy myself, usually I've just done it to fit in.

That's a bit sad.

I've never felt the need to drink to fit in, but of course nowadays so many people refuse to drink any drink that contains alcohol to try and look rebellious. Its really pathetic.
Reply 73
That's a bit sad.

I've never felt the need to drink to fit in, but of course nowadays so many people refuse to drink any drink that contains alcohol to try and look rebellious. Its really pathetic.

Not to fit in as such.

But at Uni if we were playing drinking games, I'd join in just for social reasons.

I don't mind drinking myself, I would drink on a night out but other than that I just drink water.

I certainly don't do that to be rebelious, what a strange reason not to drink lol
Reply 74
Nope. My best friend doesn't drink and we have a mad time at clubs and parties. She's usually the one making sure we get home ok lol.
Original post by zKlown
Not to fit in as such.

But at Uni if we were playing drinking games, I'd join in just for social reasons.

I don't mind drinking myself, I would drink on a night out but other than that I just drink water.

I certainly don't do that to be rebelious, what a strange reason not to drink lol

Really, just water? How admirably masochistic.
Reply 76
Really, just water? How admirably masochistic.

Yep, water is good for you and is very refreshing.

Never liked fizzy drinks.
No, I find those that drink in excess to be (generally) repugnant.
Why kill yourself, eh?
Original post by zKlown
Yep, water is good for you and is very refreshing.

Never liked fizzy drinks.

raw vegetables are also good for you, I wouldn't eat them every day for every meal.
Reply 79
Nope.

But it's not lost on me that everything is funnier/more enjoyable/better when I've had a few.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending