The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham affordability?

Hello all,

I am a potential Durham student who received an offer from the university a few days ago, and naturally I was thrilled. I have been dreaming of going there for the last couple of years, and I still feel shocked that I've got an offer. I really didn't expect it! It's like walking on sunshine.

But the main thing that is completely putting me off 'firming' Durham is how unaffordable the university seems to be. My parents' annual household income is £31k, which means I get just under £7k in loans and grants, however I have been working an awful lot at a part-time job to help support myself at university, which pushes this household income up to around £34.5k/annum (excluding my overtime), which means I receive even less in loans/grants.

Looking at the prices of colleges, the cheapest (which I naturally applied for) is Josephine Butler, however there is of course the possibility that I will be pooled to another college and will have to fork out £6/7k/annum instead. Even if I do get into JB, I will have less than £2k left of my loans/grants to support myself for the whole year.

I have my income from my part-time job, however I do work there a lot (on a 11.5hr contract, however each shift requires around 2hrs travelling, & I do regular overtime) and I'm worried it's affecting my academic performance. When I attended the Durham open day they said that they actually discourage students from taking on jobs during their studies, which means I may not be able to add to my personal wealth after Oct 2015 (when the term starts at Durham). By this time, with all the Christmas/birthday money I have been saving for literally years (I've been saving very very hard since I was around 13) and my income, I hope to have around £2.5-3.5k, however if I do have to quit my job at university, then this money will have to support me through the whole FOUR years of my degree (I'm doing a year abroad).

I have had a look at the website & I don't meet the requirements for any of the university-specific bursaries & scholarships.

Other people from 'lower' income backgrounds (I always thought I was fairly well off til I saw how much my friends' parents earn hahaha), how did you fit in at Durham? How did you find the finance? At this rate, if I get accepted into JB, I will have around £2.5k/yr to support all living costs other than accommodation, and if I am pooled into another college then I may have only around £500 left for this. The academic departments at Durham seem great, I love the North (I am a Bradford lass myself) and it undoubtedly has a great reputation. My problem is, how can I afford it? It is worth going to Durham where I will (hopefully) have fab career prospects, but may spend my time just stressed about money and generally being 'excluded' from the majority of the student body (I wouldn't be able to afford going out a lot, or having nice meals, or going on holidays with societies)? Or would I be better going to Newcastle (which I have also applied to), with a slightly lower reputation, but with lots of accommodation prices at just £3.5k/yr and access to £3k in scholarships/bursaries in my first year and £1k in subsequent years?

Thank you to everyone (or anyone) who took the time to read this pathetic ramble, which sounds more like a sad life story of first-world problems or cry for sympathy than anyone else. Apologies on how long it is. Any advise from students who have been in similar situations would be useful. Thank you so much :smile:
Hey, I too received an offer for my four year course (Philosophy with foundation year) so congratulations on your offer and I totally agree that Durham looks a great uni. Can't offer much advice on your personal financial situation and I don't intend on working while studying but my plan is pay up any outstanding balance probably £400-600 for first year and move to private accommodation subsequent years. I don't think it's overly expensive (though prices have been going up gradually) as it is mostly fully catered and free bus travel. Hope you work it out
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
But the main thing that is completely putting me off 'firming' Durham is how unaffordable the university seems to be. My parents' annual household income is £31k, which means I get just under £7k in loans and grants, however I have been working an awful lot at a part-time job to help support myself at university, which pushes this household income up to around £34.5k/annum (excluding my overtime), which means I receive even less in loans/grants.

Your income is excluded from your parent's household income when calculating student finance entitlements.
Hello!

Firstly - don't worry too much. The university has a range of options to help people out who are in real financial need, and do consider each person on a case by case basis. You wont be excluded from university because of lack of funds.

College accommodation is expensive. The university justify this by making the valid point colleges offer a lot more than just a place to live - they are actual communities and the college system in general is great. However, there has been a lot of concern over rising fees and it even hit the national news. BUT there are ongoing student led campaigns and protests about the cost, so hopefully the university will be forced to remedy the situation. Watch this space! :P

But... don't worry too much. Whilst college is expensive, almost everyone lives in privately rented accommodation after first year (the university actively encourage it, and can only house a limited number of non first years anyway). There is a massive range in prices for housing, however if you are prepared to live slightly further out (or find a really good deal) you can find rents of around £60 per person per week, with a 25 min walk to lectures (or if you have a bike it's really handy whilst still being a cheap way of getting around!). Adding bills and day to day costs like food, toiletries etc. I have been able to live every year for under 4-5k, which fits into my loan/ grant comfortably.

Living in college is only for one year, and is really worth it. I had to use my savings to make up the difference, however in every other year my costs have been covered. Also, while they don't recommend you have a job during term time, some people do. It depends what degree you do and how many hours you need to work. I personally couldn't keep up a job during term time however getting a summer job is a good option and if you live at home rent free during summer you can easily save a lot over the break!

Durham is a great uni. It has a great academic reputation. Also don't worry about not fitting in - people at Durham come from all backgrounds. Durham has a reputation for being posh, and there are some rich people here, however the vast majority are very normal!
Although I know you are worried, there are people whose income from loans etc doesn't even cover their accommodation costs by at least the 2 grand that you would be in credit with, even with help from parents. Durham and the surrounding area IS relatively cheap, so your main worry should be about accommodation as there are plenty of cheap shops for food shopping and clothes etc. It seems unfair that you should be considering declining the offer just because of money but it is the reality that we have to face. In addition, due to the fact that you will have a year abroad there are extra loans/grants available from Erasmus for that year, and you can choose to spend your year as language assistant through the British Council scheme, which is apparently very well paid, or get a work placement. Even if you studied abroad, I think the case is that you don't have to pay the fees for the foreign univeraity and only pay about £1350 instead of the usual £9000 to the university. So don't worry too much! You still need to be able to enjoy yourself :smile:
Dear Friends, Looking forward to do MBA from University of Durham in Sept 2015,
I hope u could guide me regarding accomodation,
Which accomodation shall be fine for me when it comes about MBA students at University of Durham ?

Quick Reply

Latest