The Student Room Group

95% AS for Oxbridge?

Hi, guys. I'm also one of the Oxbridge Hopefuls, with 11 A* and 1 A GCSEs, and today my tutor told me to forget about Oxbridge:frown: He said I must get 95% or higher in AS, or the chances are very slim. My dream come true is to get into Medical School (I know, I may be too ambitious), my strength is Biology, Chem is OK, but I'm struggling with Maths/Physics. Is what my tutor said really true? I'm in a shock, cause I don't think I can acheive 95%, especially with Maths...:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by shawnsuzuki
Hi, guys. I'm also one of the Oxbridge Hopefuls, with 11 A* and 1 A GCSEs, and today my tutor told me to forget about Oxbridge:frown: He said I must get 95% or higher in AS, or the chances are very slim. My dream come true is to get into Medical School (I know, I may be too ambitious), my strength is Biology, Chem is OK, but I'm struggling with Maths/Physics. Is what my tutor said really true? I'm in a shock, cause I don't think I can acheive 95%, especially with Maths...:s-smilie:

Of the two universities in question, only Cambridge considers UMS scores explicitly in judging applications so your tutor's advice can only apply directly in the case of a Cambridge application. Of course, they may well be referring to the equivalent AS score for the level at which you need to be performing to succeed in your application. That's rather less clear-cut. You do need to do the very best you can in all your subjects but the AS marks (as distinct from the grades) in themselves will have no bearing on an Oxford application. You have excellent GCSEs, even for medicine, and you will need to compound that by performing well in the BMAT and then, if invited, the interview. The skills you develop in performing at a high level for your AS's are not irrelevant to those requirements. This may be the point your tutor is trying to make. They may also be trying to provoke you into proving them wrong by working hard and acing your As's. If so, let them.
I think that's a load of rubbish, although I can only speak for Oxford. It's not just about grades (and only Cambridge asks for your actual marks), although the best marks you can get certainly help. If you want to apply, go for it, and don't ever let anybody put you off by saying that you're not good enough.

Is there anything else you can do to help your maths and physics? Go to a teacher and ask for help with anything you find particularly difficult, for instance? If you know that's a weakness, practise like mad, get all the help you can, and work as hard as you can to make sure that you're do the best you possibly can. Good luck!
Even for Cambridge, the rule of thumb is 90%+, not 95%+. Oxford don't formally consider UMS, though if you score excellently (above 90%, rule of thumb) at AS then it's probably recommended to get it put on reference.

Edit: Also worth saying that for Cambridge, tutors, as far as I know, tend to be looking for above 90% in your best 3 AS levels, so in some respects you needn't worry about your fourth.
Reply 4

Cambridge does take many applicants with below 95% UMS. 95 is (roughly) the average not the minimum. The red dots represent offers at various levels of GCSE A* and AS/A2 UMS.

Slide 5 here:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/presentations/2013/Good_Practice_in_Supporting_Applicants.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for your posts with lots of great info and data, guys.
Was feeling down a lot, but now much better.
After all, it's my life :smile: and I feel I must try if there is any chance.
Cheers, Shawn
Reply 6
Thanks for your posts with lots of great info and data, guys.
Was feeling down a lot, but now much better.
After all, it's my life :smile: and I feel I must try if there is any chance.
Cheers, Shawn

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
x

Here are the admissions stats for medicine at Ox. http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics.

The mean number of A* at GCSE for all applicants was 8.7; this rose to 10.3 for those short-listed and 10.2 for those applicants made offers.

The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.81; this rose to 0.94 for those short-listed and 0.94 for those applicants made offers.

The mean number of total GCSE qualifications offered (not including short courses and other GCSE-equivalent qualifications) was 10.7.

You definitely have nothing to worry about at present, keep up the good work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Good luck with your application! I got a B in my mechanics module, missing out on an A by one UMS.
I still managed to get an offer for Engineering with this arguably 'below Oxbridge standard grade' (especially for engineering!!!)and an average UMS of around 89% across all AS subjects.
I just chose to apply to Oxford instead of Cambridge because I knew UMS would put me at a disadvantage so on results day, if you've not decided where to apply, your UMS may be a good indicator :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Cambridge look for sick AS UMS
Oxford look for sick GCSEs
If you're going for Oxford with 11A* you have a very very big chance of getting in if you do alright in BMAT. Trust me Oxford is very lenient with applicants that have loads of A* at GCSEs, I can prove it from personal experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending