The Student Room Group

Making your Firm and Insurance choices ***2015 FAQ***

Choosing your firm and insurance choices is an important decision, so take your time and don’t rush into anything.

Lots of people every year choose their firm and insurance choices far earlier than they have to, and then decide a few months later (when it’s too late to change things) that they’ve made a mistake. Try not to let things like applying for accommodation pressure you into making a decision as making the wrong uni choice is a much bigger problem than not getting into your first choice halls!

Bellow, I’ll try to answer the main questions people have about choosing their firm and insurance.

You can also check out the TSR wiki page here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

Deadlines:

UCAS gives you a deadline for choosing your firm and insurance based on the date you received your final response from unis you applied to. This means different people can have different deadlines. These deadlines may not apply to applicants who apply through Extra.

UCAS has a list of key dates here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/key-dates

This year, the deadlines for responding are:
6th May- For people who received all their decisions by 31st March

4th June- For people who received all their decisions by 7th May.

25th June- For people who received all their decisions by 4th June.

23rd July- For people who made late applications and received offers between 4th June and 16th July. This deadline includes anyone who applied late using UCAS Extra.

31st August- Deadline for meeting all the conditions of your offer.

If you do not respond to your offers on time, they will all be declined. If you think you have missed your deadline, please contact UCAS ASAP! It would also be a good idea to contact the unis you wish to make your firm and your insurance.

When can I make my decision?

You cannot choose your firm and insurance choice on track until you have all your offers. If you really want to choose before this, you can withdraw from a choice who has yet to make a decision- but be careful doing this, as you cannot retrieve a cancelled choice. However, it’s generally better to take time to think over your decision, rather than choosing as soon as you get all your offers!

You have to choose your firm and insurance choices at the same time, so be sure about both before choosing.

How do I make my decision?

This is probably the most commonly asked question, and it’s also the most difficult to answer. Choosing the course you want to study for the next three years is an intensely personal decision. This is why it’s so important to visit unis before deciding. No amount of research can make up for visiting in person and getting your own impression of the university.

Try to talk to current students, as they will be the best people to tell you things that the university doesn’t always make public- they may be able to give more detail about how the course is assessed, or what the lecturers are like. However, try not to be swayed too much by one or two people who had really good or really bad experiences.

Also, look at the course content. A lot of courses with the same title (with a few exceptions such as psychology) can have very different compulsory modules, and certainly very different optional modules. Think about your areas of interest, and try to choose courses that match these. Do be aware optional modules can change, so be wary of choosing a course where you only like one or two of the possible options.

Think about the offers you’ve been given.
In general, your insurance choice should be a few grades lower than your firm- that’s the point of your insurance after all! If your firm is asking for AAA, an insurance asking for AAB/ABB would be sensible. Equally, if you have one offer asking for additional exams (e.g STEP, LNAT etc) and another which isn’t, it might be sensible to make the one not asking for these grades your insurance.
Talk to your teachers about how they think you are doing now, compared to when they predicted your grades. They may have done this back in October, so they’ve had more time now to see how you’re coping with the A2 course content. If your biology teacher thinks you’re struggling more than they expected, it might not be a good idea to pick an offer specifying an A grade in biology. Equally, if you’ve been doing better than expected, they might encourage you to choose the A*AA offer that you’re not sure if you can achieve or not.

Make sure your insurance choice is somewhere you’d be happy to go
- especially if your firm choice is a bit of a stretch. There’s no point putting somewhere down you don’t think you’d want to go to. Think about this choice just as carefully as your firm. There’s more value in having a slightly more difficult to get into insurance that you’re really keen on than one asking for lower grades that you don’t think you’d be happy at. Choosing an insurance with a higher grade requirement than your firm is possible, and not always an illogical thing to do - but it is risky, in that you might end up in Clearing having been turned down by both firm and insurance on Results Day. For more about when it can make sense to pick an insurance with higher grade requirements, see the Wiki article linked above.

What if I have unconditional offers?

If you firm an unconditional offer, you don’t have an insurance choice- as there’s no way you’d end up at your insurance on results day.

This year (and last year) several unis have given out offers that become unconditional if you firm them. This is a marketing strategy to encourage students to firm them, so try not to be swayed. Only firm an unconditional firm if you really like the uni, and would have considered firming it anyway.

What do I do if I don’t understand my offer(s)?

Sometimes offers will be a little unclear about what they include, or what qualifications will be accepted towards a points offer. If you’re in any doubt at all, contact the uni before you make any decisions. It’s best to do this via email, so that you have a written record of your offer conditions should you need it.

In a few cases, especially where people are resitting, unis may give you an offer that it is impossible for you to achieve. If this is the case, you should contact the uni, explaining your situation, and make it clear you cannot achieve the offer they’ve given you.

What if I change my mind?

You may find the TSR wiki article on changing your mind useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Changing_your_Mind

UCAS give you a 7 day cooling off period, during which you can change your mind about any of your choices. This doesn’t always apply to choices you’ve withdrawn from, where the uni hasn’t made their decision yet. These can only be reinstated with agreement from the university.

After the 7 day period, you are fairly committed to your choices, although you can swap over your firm and insurance, if both universities agree. This is why it’s so important to think carefully before choosing.

If you want to change your course at either your firm or insurance university after the 7 day period, this may be possible. You will need to contact the university to find out whether this is possible or not, and they will need to inform UCAS of any changes made.

You cannot choose between your firm and insurance choice on results day. This is a common misconception, but if you achieve your grades for your firm, that is where you are going, and you will no longer hold an automatic place at your insurance. If you decide you’d rather go to your insurance before results day, you can ask to be rejected from your firm and your insurance choice should automatically become your firm.

What if I change my mind about my courses, and want to reapply using UCAS Extra?

You can do this at any time before extra closes on 30th June. You will have to ask to be rejected from your choices, and contact UCAS in order to arrange this. Your universities also need to contact UCAS to confirm they are happy for you to do this. Remember, if you apply via Extra, you can only apply to one choice at a time, and you will not be able to have an insurance choice.

What if I change my mind and want to go through clearing instead?

If you change your mind after 30th June, but before you get your results, you can contact your universities and ask to be rejected from your offers. This means you can enter clearing ASAP on results day, without having to wait to be released. Around a week before A-level results day in the UK, universities become very busy, and many will not have time to reject you before results day at this stage.

Asking to be rejected early is a better strategy than waiting to be released on results day as on A-level results day, most universities are very busy, and releasing you can take much longer than usual- in some cases up to a week. Even a delay of 24-48 hours in clearing can mean missing out on the place you want.

What if I want to use adjustment?

You are only eligible to use adjustment if you exceed the conditions of your firm offer. If you miss your firm, but exceed your insurance you are not eligible. Not all courses at all universities are available via adjustment, so you shouldn’t rely on adjustment to get into a top university or a competitive course. Adjustment can be a good option for people who have genuinely exceeded expectations, but it’s not a good idea to gamble on choosing a course you think you’ll exceed the conditions for in order to make yourself eligible for adjustment.

I’ve chosen my firm and insurance on UCAS track, but haven’t heard anything from the universities.

This is really common, especially if you made your decision much earlier than most people will. Many universities will only contact you when they actually have useful information for you- e.g. when accommodation applications open, and all unis do these different, with some opening quite late. So long as you have your confirmation letter from UCAS track, you have nothing to worry about.

I’m worried I won’t make my grades. How likely is it that my choices will let me in anyway?

If you don’t make your grades, unfortunately, there is every chance that you will be rejected. How likely you are to get in depends on how well other students have done, and how close your grades are to the offer. Many students will be let in if they miss their offer by one or two grades, but equally, many students will be rejected, and who these students are often changes year on year.
This year, the government have removed the grade requirements affecting student number controls, so getting particular grades (in previous years, over AAB/ABB) won’t make any difference to your chances of getting in or not. You should never make a choice relying on being let in if you miss your offer by a grade or two. This is not always the case.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I made a mistake! I've already chose my firm choice for Derby but got an interview recently from hallam and if I do well in that will I be able to make that my firm choice??

Is that possible? :frown: I heard you can't change your firm choice once its on ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pakhtungem
I made a mistake! I've already chose my firm choice for Derby but got an interview recently from hallam and if I do well in that will I be able to make that my firm choice??

Is that possible? :frown: I heard you can't change your firm choice once its on ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

Once you've made your firm/insurance choice, your other offers disappear, so you shouldn't really have been offered this interview. It seems like someone has made a mistake- that may be Sheffield Hallam or UCAS.

think the best first step would be to contact the uni and UCAS and explain your situation and ask why this has happened.
Hello everyone,

I am currently considering what to choose for my insurance choice, and I have narrowed it down to 2 offers, number 1 offering ABB and number 2 offering BBB. On the website number 1 said it accepted BBB-ABB, however on my UCAS Track, it specified the offer as ABB only. I hope that I will not get less than ABB but I would prefer not to take the risk. What is your opinion on my situation?
Hi, I was wondering why my deadline on Track says June 4th even though I received all my offers before March 31st?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theLoneWolf17
Hello everyone,

I am currently considering what to choose for my insurance choice, and I have narrowed it down to 2 offers, number 1 offering ABB and number 2 offering BBB. On the website number 1 said it accepted BBB-ABB, however on my UCAS Track, it specified the offer as ABB only. I hope that I will not get less than ABB but I would prefer not to take the risk. What is your opinion on my situation?

It probably means they would expect ABB but would accept you with BBB anyway. Quite a few unis still offer places if students slip a few grades on results day so it probably just means that they're fairly leniant, but if your UCAS says ABB then treat it as ABB! The university has no obligation to offer you a place for BBB if it clearly specifies ABB on your UCAS.
Original post by theLoneWolf17
Hello everyone,

If unis ask for a range of grades on their website, the lower offer is usually for those who come from a disadvantaged background or have mitigating circumstances that mean the uni will give them a slightly lower offer.

If your offer is ABB, if you get BBB, they can reject you. That is not to say they may chose to be lenient on results day if you do get BBB, but you wouldn't be guaranteed a place.
Original post by milkberries
Hi, I was wondering why my deadline on Track says June 4th even though I received all my offers before March 31st?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure why this would have happened. The best people to speak to (if you haven't already) would be UCAS.
Hi,
Is it possible to place a more difficult offer as my insurance? My firm offer requires less IB points but has more subject specific requirements.
Thanks
Reply 9
Hi everyone, I want to study BA animation at university, and I am currently deciding on my primary and insurance choices. However, although I have visited both universities, I can't decide whether I want to study at either Westminster or Middlesex university. Could you give any advice to help me, possibly even if you have experience studying animation at Westminster or Middlesex?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by timetorealise
Hi,
Is it possible to place a more difficult offer as my insurance? My firm offer requires less IB points but has more subject specific requirements.
Thanks

Yeh loads of people do this but you will have to work even harder as if you miss your firm then your insurance probably won't accept you either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by timetorealise
Hi,
Thanks

Yes, you can do this, and it is something many applicants with this kind of offer consider. However, you should only do this if you are confident of achieving the insurance offer or are happy to end up in clearing if you miss your offer.

Original post by Uni64
Hi everyone, I want to study BA animation at university, and I am currently deciding on my primary and insurance choices. However, although I have visited both universities, I can't decide whether I want to study at either Westminster or Middlesex university. Could you give any advice to help me, possibly even if you have experience studying animation at Westminster or Middlesex?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Have you looked at the course content for each university? For something like animation, the optional modules available could vary quite a bit, so you should chose the course that best matches your interests. You could also consider things like the facilities available to students which might benefit you (and, importantly, how much access you'd actually have to these facilities as a student).

If you're really struggling, maybe try and make list of what you liked and disliked at each uni?

If you want to speak to students currently studying at those universities, the best place to post is the university specific forums.
Hi I'm a international student studying in the Indian curriculam. I received all my offers before 31 March and thought my reply date was 6th May. But i checked my track and found out that its 4th June. Is it because I'm an international student?
Reply 13
Original post by realunited
Hi I'm a international student studying in the Indian curriculam. I received all my offers before 31 March and thought my reply date was 6th May. But i checked my track and found out that its 4th June. Is it because I'm an international student?

Did one of your courses change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Hello everyone!At the moment I'm studying at UWE but I applied for different universities.I have an unconditional offer from city university which I want to accept.I was wondering,do I have to withdraw from my current uni to accept this offer or can I accept the offer and withdraw in July??
Original post by realunited

Yes, it's because you're an international student. People living outside the EU can have different deadlines.

Original post by alexpap
Hello everyone!At the moment I'm studying at UWE but I applied for different universities.I have an unconditional offer from city university which I want to accept.I was wondering,do I have to withdraw from my current uni to accept this offer or can I accept the offer and withdraw in July??

No, you don't have to withdraw in order to accept your offers (sometimes these offers can actually be conditional on first year results). If you needed to withdraw in order to apply, you wouldn't have been able to apply through UCAS in the first place.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
x

Hey do you by any chance know whether my school can see what offers/rejections I've gotten on UCAS? There's a data sharing option with the school and it's been on yes all this time. So can they see it?
Reply 17
Original post by Nautic4l
Hey do you by any chance know whether my school can see what offers/rejections I've gotten on UCAS? There's a data sharing option with the school and it's been on yes all this time. So can they see it?

Yeh they can see it as one of my numbers of key stage team asked why I had rejected all my uni's (because I wanted to apply through extra) but there is a box on the track bit that allows you to untick it so that the school doesn't see your UCAS information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hi all

I got my offer for Dundee (conditional, firm), and another uni (unconditional, insurance)

The condition to be accepted in Dundee is to get a 6.0 in my IELTS test, which seems achievable. However, I´m applying for finance to the SAAS, got all my documentation ready and sent, but haven´t had a response yet.

The thing is, because I couldn´t afford attending uni without the loan, I rather wait until I hear from SAAS before taking my IELTS. How long do I have to match the conditions of my offer? I mean... when do I have to send my IELTS scores to Dundee University?

Thanks for your help!
F
Original post by bokeron85
Hi all

I got my offer for Dundee (conditional, firm), and another uni (unconditional, insurance)

The condition to be accepted in Dundee is to get a 6.0 in my IELTS test, which seems achievable. However, I´m applying for finance to the SAAS, got all my documentation ready and sent, but haven´t had a response yet.

The thing is, because I couldn´t afford attending uni without the loan, I rather wait until I hear from SAAS before taking my IELTS. How long do I have to match the conditions of my offer? I mean... when do I have to send my IELTS scores to Dundee University?

Thanks for your help!
F

You've got until 31st August to meet all the conditions of your offer, unless your uni specify another date.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending