The Student Room Group

Camp America, americamp,ccusa which to pick ???

Hi I hope one of you can help me out and maybe answer some of my questions about working on a summer camp in America! I don't really know that much about it so sorry in advance for my ramblings and many questions!!!

1) which is the best company to go with?
2) do you get to pick the camp you go to? Is there a list of camps you to read about and pick from that?
3) travelling after camp, do people organise it before? Or wait in the hope that other people at camp would want to go too?
4) if I don't have many skills can I still be a counser? Or is that camp power thing better for me? Any one done camp power?

Oh and last thing am really scared of snakes and spiders is working on a summer camp not for me?
Original post by Lydia3
Hi I hope one of you can help me out and maybe answer some of my questions about working on a summer camp in America! I don't really know that much about it so sorry in advance for my ramblings and many questions!!!

2) do you get to pick the camp you go to? Is there a list of camps you to read about and pick from that?
3) travelling after camp, do people organise it before? Or wait in the hope that other people at camp would want to go too?
4) if I don't have many skills can I still be a counser? Or is that camp power thing better for me? Any one done camp power?

Oh and last thing am really scared of snakes and spiders is working on a summer camp not for me?

1. It depends on your preferences, some include flights, some dont, some are expensive (camp america) some are cheap (americamp), just go on all their website and im sure you will get a feel for which one you prefer.

2. no you dont get to pick a camp. when you go through one of these companies, they send out your application all over the USA and they choose you.

3. you can plan before or after, most wait until they meet people at camp and travel with the friends they have met. Also, if you meet american friends, they tend to travel home and I've heard a lot offer their houses up for a couple of days so you get free accommodation in a lot of states while travelling. But if you want reassurance, go with a company, you get discount with 'trekamerica' when you go via Camp america.

4. Try and build as many skills as possible to built your likelihood of being accepted. You haven't given much information so we cant really tell which is best for you. only you will know what hobbies, interests and skills you have and which job role you will suit.

5. not liking snakes and spiders should be a problem unless you are at a hiking camp, scout camp as they are actually camping and im assuming there will be spiders while camping.. but all other camps you should be fine.

hope this helped.
Reply 2
Thankyou, both of you have really helped answer my questions :smile: i have started applying through camp america, made my first payment just waiting to hear from the interviewer :smile:

(sorry i don't really know how you use this so don't know how to like tag you in this post to say thanks, hope you both see it)
I don't know much about them but my sister did camp America just before she started uni and then they asked her to go the following year. I think her specific camp was called camp tanglewood or something and she made lots of friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lydia3
Thankyou, both of you have really helped answer my questions :smile: i have started applying through camp america, made my first payment just waiting to hear from the interviewer :smile:

(sorry i don't really know how you use this so don't know how to like tag you in this post to say thanks, hope you both see it)

Hi, I was wondering if you are able to update about your journey through things with Camp America when things happen as im thinking about applying for CampAmerica next year but want to know what the journey towards the summer is like before I do so.
Whether its things you didn't realise - secret expenses/problems/good things or just tips?
Original post by Lydia3

Lydia can we help at all?

1. We were named best summer camp organization by Save The Student.

2. In terms of picking camps if you come to one of our camp fairs then you can choose who to speak to. Failing that we look at your CV and match that with who we think is suitable.

3. In terms of traveling we also help organize affordable different trips across the USA

4. If you don't have many skills then perhaps you are an all rounder or have experience in working or helping with kids. We help each applicant get the most out of their application or point them towards extra skills that they can easily get in order to help.

Don't worry about the snakes or the spiders!

All details can be found on www.AmeriCamp.co.uk

Much love and #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp Team xx

Original post by justjayy
Hi, I was wondering if you are able to update about your journey through things with Camp America when things happen as im thinking about applying for CampAmerica next year but want to know what the journey towards the summer is like before I do so.
Whether its things you didn't realise - secret expenses/problems/good things or just tips?

Jay can we help at all?

AmeriCamp Team x

I would go for Camp America. I've heard great reviews. It's more well known and I think it will look better on your CV. :smile:
Original post by NotJustAName
I would go for Camp America. I've heard great reviews. It's more well known and I think it will look better on your CV. :smile:

we'd love to show you why we were named number one by Save The Student and why we were verified on twitter first. You should take a look at all our amazing reviews on our website.

Much love

AmeriCamp Team x :biggrin:

Original post by jimjam22
It is ultimately your decision Jay & Lydia. All of the camp recruitment agencies offer similar packages.
You can see below for comparison (please note these prices are subject to change)

- you need to click the attachment to make it bigger.

I can really only speak from experience with Camp America but I am sure AmeriCamp also offer great opportunities for you as well. Just think, your summer could be spent doing something you love in the amazing USA! Have a look at both their websites and remember cheaper is not always better. CA have top customer service and are always available at the end of the phone and all staff have experienced camp first hand.

Don't delay in booking your summer of a lifetime with whatever agency you feel will suit you the best.

Good Luck!

Hey JimJam22

So do you work for Camp America then? Just that most of your posts seem to be about it which is strange?

We are so proud of all the amazing reviews we've had and want everyone to have the best summer possible with the most amount of money to travel with afterwards.

Hope you're having a nice day.

AmeriCamp Team x
Original post by jimjam22
Hi AmeriCamp,

No I don't work with Camp America but have been placed with them in 2013 and again this summer.

It is great that participants are able to choose which agency they would like to go through and that each agency is as great as each other, after all you are the people who make other peoples dreams a reality by sending them to work in America over the summer break and beyond.

Sorry if I sounded bias towards CA as that is the only agency that I have had experience with. Your mission and statement sounds great and I wish you all the best, out of interest do you offer any post-camp experiences?

Im having a great day nice and sunny! How about you?

Jim

Don't worry Jim that all makes sense now!

It's always great to be passionate as are we. Maybe we need to send you some #FreeBiscuits (it's what we are known for!)

There are a number of post camp experiences out there, but we find that applicants want something they can afford. We actually hold trips after camp in New York and in Las Vegas. They are great value for money as it's a way of saying thank you to all those that went through us, but we do take people from other agencies as well.

Further information on it can be found here: http://www.americamp.co.uk/travel/newyork/

How has your weekend been?

AmeriCamp x
Reply 11
Original post by justjayy

Hi sorry it's taken me this long to reply back to you, nothing had happened with my application for a while so had nothing to update you with but it has now :smile:

i decided to go with camp America, but to be honest all the companies looked really good it was between ameri camp and camp America as they both looked good but like i said I've decided to go with camp America, I filled my application out and then picked my interviewer, my first interviewer never got in touch with me, I emiled and messaged but her but didn't get a reply to be fair I only waited like 2 weeks I think,I can't really remember, but because I am late to apply I didn't want to wait any longer so selected a new interviwer and he got back to me in like 2 days and about a week later I had my interview, which was actually yesterday! That went well and now I just have to wait for him to do like a write up about me and then I will be ready to be placed :smile: I don't really know anything pass there as that's all I have done so far hope this helps
Original post by Lydia3
Hi sorry it's taken me this long to reply back to you, nothing had happened with my application for a while so had nothing to update you with but it has now :smile:

i decided to go with camp America, but to be honest all the companies looked really good it was between ameri camp and camp America as they both looked good but like i said I've decided to go with camp America, I filled my application out and then picked my interviewer, my first interviewer never got in touch with me, I emiled and messaged but her but didn't get a reply to be fair I only waited like 2 weeks I think,I can't really remember, but because I am late to apply I didn't want to wait any longer so selected a new interviwer and he got back to me in like 2 days and about a week later I had my interview, which was actually yesterday! That went well and now I just have to wait for him to do like a write up about me and then I will be ready to be placed :smile: I don't really know anything pass there as that's all I have done so far hope this helps

Let us know when you get placed! I've gone through Americamp and have been waiting to be placed for nearly 3 months! Since my initial application I haven't really heard much from them apart from when I asked about deferring and suddenly a camp was interested, which didn't materialise. They were nice at the beginning, and do have good reviews but everyone's experience is bound to be different. All they talk about is free biscuits too, but I haven't had any... :wink:
Anyway, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending