The Student Room Group

Trouble with French AS level

I'm currently studying French, Economics, Business and Law as AS level. The trouble I have is that i don't feel that i want to do french anymore, our school have given us 2 hours each week for lessons and only now with 3 months left until our exam they have offered 2 more hours. I really want to get A grades at AS level for economics, business and law and I feel i have a shot at this. My French grades aren't great and i don't see myself getting good grades. It will take revision to even me to a C. I don't want to jeopardise loosing out of good grades for 3 of my a levels just the achieve a C or even lower at AS. So my question is, do top unis even looks at an AS grade that much or do they only care about your final 3 grades? I would be dropping french anyway after AS but is there any point in trying to get it at AS?
Would appreciate any help :confused:
Why so little hours? Is it a college?
Reply 2
Original post by Patrick2810
Why so little hours? Is it a college?

No, it's 6th form and we get taught outside of school by a language school but they wouldn't pay for more lessons
If you feel it'll be detrimental to your other subjects, then drop it. You'll only be cut off from UCL, and maybe a handful of other universities who require a pass in a fourth subject.
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
If you feel it'll be detrimental to your other subjects, then drop it. You'll only be cut off from UCL, and maybe a handful of other universities who require a pass in a fourth subject.

I've looked at some of the entry requirements and Bath in particular don't specify a fourth pass so hopefully i should be ok, thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 5
Wow 2hrs? We get 5 1/2 hours every week.
French is a very tricky subject, you need to take serious care unless you'll a U, trust me.
Original post by naxiv
French is a very tricky subject, you need to take serious care unless you'll a U, trust me.

any tips? specifically?
Reply 7
any tips? specifically?

Revise revise revise
Theres little time
Feburary is nearly over, remains march and april then exam season. You have to be dependant as excluding easter etc, there's minimal time.
I'm predicted an A, i'm around a B grade at the moment.
A tip: dont neglect the listening and reading. Trust me.
Original post by naxiv
Revise revise revise
Theres little time
Feburary is nearly over, remains march and april then exam season. You have to be dependant as excluding easter etc, there's minimal time.
I'm predicted an A, i'm around a B grade at the moment.
A tip: dont neglect the listening and reading. Trust me.

How to prepare for the writing? For each subtopic (sport, cinema, etc) can you prepare a whole essay plan? (i.e sports is usually about benefits and disadvantages, cinema about new ways to watch tv, etc)

To prepare for listening revise loads of vocab and practice on kerboodle?
Reply 9
For listening; yes vocab. I dont really use kerboodle but revise listening from pratice papers.
Dm me and ill help you with planning
How to prepare for the writing? For each subtopic (sport, cinema, etc) can you prepare a whole essay plan? (i.e sports is usually about benefits and disadvantages, cinema about new ways to watch tv, etc)

To prepare for listening revise loads of vocab and practice on kerboodle?
Reply 10
Hi !
If you need help to practice your french i am a french student and i can help you ! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by naxiv

I know thats why I feel with little time left before the exam and doing such small hours, there isn't much point in doing it anymore as i feel my exam grade will be awful

Quick Reply

Latest