The Student Room Group

I'm truly screwed. alternatives please.

I'm actually new on this . But I really need help
I attended an interview today . For Operating department practice. And I clearly messed up. I couldn't answer two questions. I did answer but It was all broken and terrible. And I have gut feeling I'm done for.
so I need a plan b and I've decided apprenticeships. But can't find any!!!I REALLY want to be in a hospital working next to surgeons , helping patients pre and post operation.

Guys. Please help. My life at the moment is at hault. is there another alternative.:confused:
Reply 1
Sounds like becoming nurse would be a goal perhaps?

Bonus is you can move around more than an ODP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by A5ko
Sounds like becoming nurse would be a goal perhaps?

Bonus is you can move around more than an ODP.

But will I be able to do it without going to uni. Thats the problem.
Reply 3
Original post by Ipsaw
But will I be able to do it without going to uni. Thats the problem.

Maybe not.

You could always start on a lower rung and see what happens. Going from Health Care to Nurse is potentially possible, but I believe it still requires Uni.
To become a nurse you will have to take a three year degree course. I would wait to see the outcome of your ODP interview. Interviewers expect applicants to be nervous and you may have come across better than you think.
Original post by Ipsaw
I attended an interview today . For Operating department practice. And I clearly messed up. I couldn't answer two questions. I did answer but It was all broken and terrible. And I have gut feeling I'm done for.
so I need a plan b and I've decided apprenticeships. But can't find any!!!I REALLY want to be in a hospital working next to surgeons , helping patients pre and post operation.

Guys. Please help. My life at the moment is at hault. is there another alternative.:confused:

Like lilibet says, wait and find out how you have done before you start changing your plans.

And if you've not done well in this interview, chalk it up to experience and reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
<strokes forest cat betweeen the ears and gives her a fishy > as i've got to rep some other users before i can rep her again

I agree with forest cat and lilibet
Original post by Ipsaw

At least you were honest with them.

Just wait for the results before worrying about Plan B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Ipsaw

You could always try and get a health care assistant job in theatres at your local hospital, would give your application a good boost and some hands on experience. Its not the end of the world though, in 2/3 of my nursing interviews I thought they'd gone terrible and the other one I thought was ok but I got 3 offers so you never know how it will go! You might not get in the first time around and if you don't just use the time to earn a bit of money while gaining some experience (will also help in interviews too). :smile:
Hi lpsaw, DON'T PANIC! Where was your interview at? I have also applied for ODP for this year and have already been rejected once post interview, now awaiting to hear back from my second interview.

I have been working as a circulator in theatre for 2 years, 2 years on a ward and 4 years A&E as a HCA. Try looking for a theatre health care assistant job, or any HCA work. Reapply next year. If this is what you REALLY want you'll gain experience that way and hopefully have a better chance the following year.

Quick Reply

Latest