The Student Room Group

Pointless A Level subjects and btechs need to be scrapped

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChoccyPhilly
You mean memory, most of the time

memory and a test of how well you can regurgitate it within the two hours you're given.

two hours to recognise at least two years of learning......
Original post by LannaBanana
A Levels are only important to get you into University.

University is only important to get you a decent job.

A decent job is important for a good quality of life.

No one gives a **** about your A-Levels after you've reached the goal (of a decent job, so you can have a decent life).

A-Levels are barely about education, they're exams.

People need perspective sometimes :frown: To be honest, I feel like this obsession with exam results on this forum is weird! I think it's a middle class SE English thing? (*generalising*) I haven't had that experience in Scotland. Only a small percentage of people from my class went to Uni. It wasn't a big deal not to go. It was actually pretty rare if you actually went and graduated. :s-smilie:

You wrote a lot that I am too lazy to write
Reply 62
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Media Studies
Film Studies
Dance
Fashion
Journalism
Drama
Art
Photography
Sociology
Graphic Design
Most subjects which have studies at the end of them (most not all)

inb4 people who do these degrees whining

With the people that take Media Studies, chances are that 94% of them had kids or got sent to prison before their course was completed.

Would just like to say that you have no idea how challenging subjects like Art and Drama A level are. Most probably because they are ability and skill subjects which are two things you, I'm making an educated guess here, that you don't have.

Everything in this world from the obvious like your clothes and house, to machines and mechanics have been designed. Therefore without design, there would be nothing.

Finally, during the First and Second World Wars, there was a great influx of people of the homefront visiting theatres, galleries etc, proving that Art and Drama are not only "soft subjects" but are actually psychologically healing.

Without the arts, there would be no culture or self expression and the world would be a very restrictive, dull place to be- one may say a reflection of you xoxo
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
You mean memory, most of the time

Yep! I got top marks in my Biology and Chemistry Standard Grades, and no joke, I walked out of the exam and forgot EVERYTHING about chemistry. Within like... an hour.

It was a weird experience.

I always liked the subjects where you had to think critically if you wanted to do well (English, history, etc) - I have no interest in science subjects, but at that level I was able to pass with good marks, because all you have to do is memorise stuff from a textbook. Science-y students who didn't like English or History didn't do so well because they couldn't think the way you have to think for those subjects.

Of course, I suppose that all changes at higher levels - I wouldn't be able to do maths or science at University... my brain doesn't work that way. But then students of those subjects probably wouldn't be able to do well in English. :smile:
Original post by ahh2797
Without the arts, there would be no culture or self expression and the world would be a very restrictive, dull place to be- one may say a reflection of you xoxo

Hahaha I love this! So catty.
Media Studies
Film Studies
Dance
Fashion
Journalism
Drama
Art
Photography
Sociology
Graphic Design

With the people that take Media Studies, chances are that 94% of them had kids or got sent to prison before their course was completed.

Given you can't spell BTEC I'd say you're pretty stupid.

I don't see the logic in your argument. Particularly regarding the BTEC. Sure I done a BTEC but that's besides the point.. Perfectly suitable for those that didn't perform well, or suitable for those wishing to take a more vocational route to their own goal. Even then, would you rather people study pointless subjects and/or a BTEC, or would you rather them be in an underpaid job claiming benefits?

Plenty of people studied the courses mentioned in your list, and plenty of them are far far far more intelligent and far more successful than you.

Your argument fails to present any other parameters.. Aside from your false sense of superiority and incessant need for acceptance with intelligent individuals.

Did I tell you.. A vast majority of students belittling other courses are often those that're intellectually handicapped or have suffer, or will suffer failure later in life.
(edited 9 years ago)
I took drama and it's helped me attain a place at one of the best law universities in the country. Many of those subjects offer skills that aren't available in other courses, these can be translated into skills for a wide variety of degree courses.

Just my example, but drama teaches great communication and oral expression skills. I know that I personally learned how to analyse character and behavioural traits/patterns in people, as well as managed to boost my essay-writing skills further. A lot of people don't realise that the majority of drama A-Level is written, not practical. It can be argued that these traits I have picked up/developed from A-Level drama are really going to be beneficial for my degree and even the years afterwards.
Original post by Dylann
They shouldn't be scrapped but I think there should be a requirement to take at least two facilitating subjects, or at least schools should be heavily encouraging the study of facilitating subjects.

Maths especially should be heavily, heavily encouraged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you say this?
(not trying to start an argument, just interested)
Reply 68
Media Studies
Film Studies
Dance
Fashion
Journalism
Drama
Art
Photography
Sociology
Graphic Design

Graphic Design is important.

Whatever happened to culture?
Original post by ahh2797

EDIT: Out of rep. But that post was so on point Ima rep you tomorrow.
Reply 70
All of these subjects are important in different ways it all depends on what career path you want to take in the future. And BTECS. Well let me tell you it might be all coursework but I've heard students who do A-Level themselves admit that BTEC is much harder. BTW you cannot "copy and paste" your work it will be destroyed if you plagiarize at all please keep up to date with life. The amount of coursework your given and the units you have to do is no-where near to the amount you have to do for A-Level because exams are not as stressful once you've revised and done the exam, however coursework- you constantly have it, meeting all the deadlines for god knows how much assignments, so yh basically your stressed out 24/7.
Original post by AB2
All of these subjects are important in different ways it all depends on what career path you want to take in the future. And BTECS. Well let me tell you it might be all coursework but I've heard students who do A-Level themselves admit that BTEC is much harder. BTW you cannot "copy and paste" your work it will be destroyed if you plagiarize at all please keep up to date with life. The amount of coursework your given and the units you have to do is no-where near to the amount you have to do for A-Level because exams are not as stressful once you've revised and done the exam, however coursework- you constantly have it, meeting all the deadlines for god knows how much assignments, so yh basically your stressed out 24/7.

Next time might be worth mentioning that the A-level coursework element is equally subjected to plagiarism, Edexcel have their own systems to mitigate it, as should the individual institutions - Turnitin :wink2:
Reply 72
Original post by Binary Freak
Next time might be worth mentioning that the A-level coursework element is equally subjected to plagiarism, Edexcel have their own systems to mitigate it, as should the individual institutions - Turnitin :wink2:

Yup so has coursework most of these BTECS are run by Exam boards so they do assess and verify the grade given beforehand. And if you are using someone else's work you need to reference.
Original post by Emma:-)
Sociology shouldnt be scrapped.
General studies should definately be scrapped though.

General Studies measures common sense - Something a vast majority of individuals on here lack
Media Studies
Film Studies
Dance
Fashion
Journalism
Drama
Art
Photography
Sociology
Graphic Design

Although I do not take these subjects, I take the hardest subjects. I still disagree with you, I know a friend who suffers with dyslexic and doing art and mathematics. You need these subjects, say for instance you want to do Architecture, you need art and maybe photography.
Original post by Gott
P.E

Nope. There's been research that has suggested physical activities can improve intelligence. - Might be worth a read

Just because you're incapable of performing to GCSE-level P.E :wink2:
Reply 76
oh look another oxbridge maths/science student dissing media studies to anger the commoners so they can feed their ego and sense of entitlement, thats cute x
never seen that on the student room b4 :smile: :smile:))))
Reply 77
Original post by OU Student
I'm wondering the same thing. To me, it's something you wouldn't use. So, for me, media studies is pointless because I personally wouldn't use it. But to someone who wants to go into journalism, it's not.

Seems like a reasonable definition to me, but incredibly there's still a fairly sizeable number of people here who would label anything that isn't a STEM subject pointless, which is a complete joke really :rolleyes:

And yeah, like you say, many people on here seem to completely ignore the fact that plenty of people do in fact use BTECs and so called 'pointless' A Levels and degrees to go into that field of work and have successful careers, the STEM snobbery on here can be just downright stupid sometimes :facepalm:
(edited 9 years ago)
Dear OP and other haters,

I am studying a Btec extended diploma in Engineering (and 2 alevels but that isn't my main pathway) applied for Architecture this year and got into 3 high ranking Russell Group universities. I guess with this I am trying to say that.. it doesn't matter whether you do Btec or 'pointless' Alevels as long as the type of learning suits you and helps you achieve and progress in your education. And for all you haters out there... when you're struggling to get into your ****ty local university.. the kid you used to mock for doing Btec or 'pointless' Alevels got into Edinburgh, UCL or Manchester just to name a few :wink:
Reply 79
Original post by AdamCee
Why do you say this?
(not trying to start an argument, just interested)

No worries, and it's just a personal opinion. Maths a-level is a fundamental requirement for almost all science/technology/finance courses. This is important because many students aren't sure of their chosen career when they begin a-levels. So by having maths as an a-level they are prepared if they decide to switch to a more mathematical degree (and I know a lot of people who have). Moreover, maths a-level is great to have on your CV as it shows logical skills and a certain fluency with numbers (which employers value). I say all this because I wasn't going to take maths for a-level initially (because I struggled a fair bit a GCSE). However, I decided last minute to take it and I am glad I did. I did struggle for the first term at AS-level, but I worked hard and it all became a lot easier. I ended up with a really high A at AS and am going on to study a degree in Chemistry (not to mention the benefit of mathematical fluency within the sciences!).

Essentially, students who 'struggle' at GCSE may not struggle at a-level, simply because a lot of students aren't inclined to study hard at GCSE, but do realise the importance of education during a-levels. In addition, maths a-level opens the door to an extreme variety of careers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending