The Student Room Group

A level options help!!

Hi everyone!

So Im currently at that point in year 11 life where I am stressed, and on top of that I have to select my A-level options for year 12..
My initial options were Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English literature, because they're academic subjects which combine mathematical reasoning and humanities. However, after finding out I was limited to 4 A levels I dropped english and opted for the three sciences and Maths. Will this limit my chances of getting into a good university, such as MIT, harvard or Cambridge to study engineering? This has really lead me to ponder whether Univesities take into account subject variety, especially whether my science based options will limit my entrance into a science based degree at university.

All help and advice is much appreciated!

Thank you.
Original post by mareyak
Hi everyone!

So Im currently at that point in year 11 life where I am stressed, and on top of that I have to select my A-level options for year 12..
My initial options were Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English literature, because they're academic subjects which combine mathematical reasoning and humanities. However, after finding out I was limited to 4 A levels I dropped english and opted for the three sciences and Maths. Will this limit my chances of getting into a good university, such as MIT, harvard or Cambridge to study engineering? This has really lead me to ponder whether Univesities take into account subject variety, especially whether my science based options will limit my entrance into a science based degree at university.

Thank you.

Will it limit your chances of getting into university?
No. Look at what requirements there are for the unis you want and see if your options fit, I take it you want a degree in a science of some kind? Those are a great combination if that's what you're looking for. =)

Uni entry requirements are different between unis and so, choose options based on that. :smile:
I currently do the three sciences and maths at A2 and have applied for a science based degree (forensics). I don't think it will disadvantage you. Actually, I think it's quite an advantage.:smile:
Original post by mareyak
Hi everyone!

Thank you.

What about getting involved in extra-curricular stuff such as music, sports, debating, drama - if you get qualifications etc or show commitment, wouldn't that show that you were a 'well-rounded' individual and not just good at science?

I've been told that American Universities really like extra-curricular and stuff. : / Not sure if it's true but there you go!

Good luck with decisions - I'm making mine as well atm so I know what it's like. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest