The Student Room Group

Article: A student's guide to A-level reforms

Our easy peasy student's guide to A-level reforms and what they mean is here

How do you feel about the reforms? Do you have any questions?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm just glad my A Levels are finishing up in June. This new system seems very tricky.
I hate the new reforms, this won't at all affect the students doing AS now will it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by She-Ra

I'm not a fan of them constantly making things more difficult, but they're only trying to do what's best.
Vote for labour, if you don't want this to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats
Vote for labour, if you don't want this to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: this

I pray the reforms won't happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE, GCE A levels and BTECs all needed reform. They have all been dumbed down to satisfy the 'least intelligent of the student population' which is just sad.
Original post by Raymat
GCSE, GCE A levels and BTECs all needed reform. They have all been dumbed down to satisfy the 'least intelligent of the student population' which is just sad.

The only think they changed was that they made it to linear exams.

Most countries such as USA etc have modular exams worser then this AS/A LEVEL fiasco, and they haven't been Dumping anything down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grassntai
I hate the new reforms, this won't at all affect the students doing AS now will it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No :h: things will continue as usual for you guys :smile:
Reply 9
Surely this makes it more difficult for unis to make offers? There's no way of standardizing mock exams or predicted grades, as these will be set by individual schools. And GCSEs are really no indication of how good someone will be at a subject at uni, the disconnect in content and style is massive. I'm not sure of the rationale behind this :/
As if A Levels aren't difficult enough. Glad mine will be over in June.
Reply 11
So if a student does the AS qualification, and then decides to complete the full a-level, they'll have to do some of the same exams again along with the A2 equivalent exams?
Original post by Actaeon
Surely this makes it more difficult for unis to make offers? There's no way of standardizing mock exams or predicted grades, as these will be set by individual schools. And GCSEs are really no indication of how good someone will be at a subject at uni, the disconnect in content and style is massive. I'm not sure of the rationale behind this :/

The uni's didn't get much of a say. I think more uni's might create entrance tests if they are unsure. Generally they have advised that the teacher reference must show a student's development during their studies and their consistent improvement.

You're right though A-level results day 2017 could be a rather horrid day for students there is a massive disconnect between results and uni offers nationally. Or given that uni's need to fill their places it could be the total opposite with more accepting students that have missed their offers.
Original post by Dylann
So if a student does the AS qualification, and then decides to complete the full a-level, they'll have to do some of the same exams again along with the A2 equivalent exams?

That's correct. None of the AS assessment will counts towards the final A2 grade.
Reply 14
Pardon my french

BUT what the **** are they doing?

The upper class parasites of the education secretory need to be bloody well fired from a cannon ball into the English Channel and swim their shameful limbs out of sight.

And the Conservatives, they can **** off. I hope they pis their scone coated panties in the election. I'm now 18, so I can vote.

If it ain't broken don't ****ing fix it.

UPDATE:

It's thanks to Michael Gove and his parrot replacement that Britain's education system is turbulently sloping into an academic joke.
The conservatives need to gove.
(edited 9 years ago)
Meh. I'll live. My gcses/igcses are linear so i don't know any different. Though I can see myself potentially stressing out about it. Actually, me stressing out is probably inevitable reforms or not.

Doing three subjects that are being reformed. Maths isn't so whoopee! :biggrin: Kinda glad - doing a module currently so would hate if it no longer counted. :biggrin:
Simply terrified that I'm going to retake the year and do AS under these reforms. I don't want to!
Reply 17
I feel so sorry for the coming years :frown:

My GCSEs werent that great... however i was able to show my worth by revising like crazy in year 12 to get great AS-A level grades so unis will accept me

Robbing students of the chance to show what they are capable of is a crime :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Simply terrified that I'm going to retake the year and do AS under these reforms. I don't want to!

How about you work hard now then don't retake?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by She-Ra

This is really helpful! Thank you! ^_^ I'll put the link on the Y10 thread in case anyone wants to read it! :biggrin:

Black Rose
x

^ Have you seen this? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest