The Student Room Group

Scottish/English qualification equivalents

I'm a bit confused as to what Scottish qualifications translate to what levels in England. In the UCAS tariff, the A-level is worth the same number of points as the Advanced Higher; however, most English universities seem to use A-levels for their entry requirements, while Scottish universities usually base offers on Higher results, one level down from Advanced Higher. Also, I've seen many people here say that they're studying 4 A-levels...in Scotland, people tend to study 3 Advanced Highers at the most, with four AHs being rare and considered a rather ridiculous workload. So are A-level and AH really equivalent?

Also, you seem to get many people with 10-12 GCSEs; here, 8 Intermediate 2's (equivalent to Scottish Standard Grade - Credit) seems to be the most people take at that level. I don't know of anyone who's taken more Int 2s than that in the one sitting.

I don't really understand the English system too well; what's the difference between AS-level, A-level and A2? Any help in clarifying this would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Sorry, i can't really help with most of that, but i can the last bit :biggrin:

AS (Advanced Subsidary) is taken in year 12 (the year immediatly after the end of your compulsary education) This is half of the A Level course.

A2 (Advanced) is taken in Year 13 and this, along with the AS Level in a particular subject is needed to gain an 'A Level' in that subject.

A Levels normally consist of 6 modules, 3 taken in the first year and the next 3 in the second year.

Most people take 4 or 5 AS Levels and then drop 1 or 2 to continue onto A2 with 3 or 4 which means the majority of candidates end up with:
3 or 4 A Levels AND 1 or 2 AS Levels :smile:

Hope this helps a bit :p:
Reply 2
Ah, I see...it's not as complicated as I thought at first then. Thanks for clariyfing. It's these names; they're too similar! "AS", "A2"...Higher and Advanced Higher are the way to go. :tongue:
Reply 3
Highers are roughly between AS and A2. Generally AHs are more first year uni work. The Scottish system focuses more on breadth rather than depth up until AH level. Pretty much everyone who stays on at school in England takes A levels, whereas you'll probably know that few people do Advanced Highers, and even if they do, they don't usually do many.

Latest

Trending

Trending