The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Tyler Court or Turing?

Hi guys,

For all of those who are currently there in Kent, or have seen the accommodation:

- Where is Turing College? It doesn't show up on the map when I apply for accommodation.

- Which would you pick out of those two? I understand that the price difference makes a huge impact.
Original post by Expired Potato
Hi guys,

For all of those who are currently there in Kent, or have seen the accommodation:

- Where is Turing College? It doesn't show up on the map when I apply for accommodation.

- Which would you pick out of those two? I understand that the price difference makes a huge impact.

It's behind Keynes College on this map - you'll need to zoom in to see it labelled. http://www.kent.ac.uk/maps/canterbury/canterbury-campus

I can't make the decision for you - not least because my knowledge of Turing is extremely limited. As far as I know, it's still being built/nearing completion - applicants could choose it last year but the accommodation wasn't ready in time so they had to relocate. No doubt when it's finished, it'll be very plush but I'm afraid I just don't know enough to make a good comparison.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by Champagne Supernova
It's behind Keynes College on this map - you'll need to zoom in to see it labelled. http://www.kent.ac.uk/maps/canterbury/canterbury-campus

I can't make the decision for you - not least because my knowledge of Turing is extremely limited. As far as I know, it's still being built/nearing completion - applicants could choose it last year but the accommodation wasn't ready in time so they had to relocate. No doubt when it's finished, it'll be very plush but I'm afraid I just don't know enough to make a good comparison.

Ah damn. What are your opinions of Tyler Court, if you have any?
Ah damn. What are your opinions of Tyler Court, if you have any?

Which particular court are you after? They're all really nice. A is slightly older than B or C so I'd be more inclined to go with the newer ones but that doesn't make A terrible. Compared to the rest of campus, I'd say only the Parkwood Flats/new Keynes flats are nicer :dontknow: Though the kitchen is better in Tyler than those Keynes ones IIRC
Which particular court are you after? They're all really nice. A is slightly older than B or C so I'd be more inclined to go with the newer ones but that doesn't make A terrible. Compared to the rest of campus, I'd say only the Parkwood Flats/new Keynes flats are nicer :dontknow: Though the kitchen is better in Tyler than those Keynes ones IIRC

I picked B & C for accommodation, so that's good that I opted for the newer. Happy about the kitchen-thing.

The only reason why I went for Tyler Court was because of how close it is to the green space, but I put it at number 2 and I picked Turing for number one. I assume that if Turing still isn't done then I just get my second choice?

Did/do you attend Kent? And if you do, did you get your first choice (and which one was it)?
I picked B & C for accommodation, so that's good that I opted for the newer. Happy about the kitchen-thing.

The only reason why I went for Tyler Court was because of how close it is to the green space, but I put it at number 2 and I picked Turing for number one. I assume that if Turing still isn't done then I just get my second choice?

Did/do you attend Kent? And if you do, did you get your first choice (and which one was it)?

The whole of campus is quite green but yeah, you get the best of that if you're on the correct sides of Rutherford/Eliot and to some extent Tyler. Everyone takes advantage of the hill during the summer months and yeah, it's nice being close(ish) to it.

I did but I've left now. And I went through Clearing, so I didn't even get a choice :wink: I stayed in Eliot though. It gets a bad rep and sometimes deservedly so but I wouldn't change my experience :h:
Reply 6
Wait what? Close to green space?

I'm in Tyler Court A and the other two are just behind.Park Wood is a lot greener.

Hmm,yeah,in hindsight,I should have gone for the newer Tylers,as the rooms are bigger.Mine is really tiny,but at least I have my en-suite.Is Tyler good? I don't know,that depends enormously on your flatmates.Mine don't give a _____ about others.For instance,yesterday they came at 4:00 and were so drunk,they were bumping into the doors.They were also screaming.And yes,since rather recently,one of my flatmates has got into the habit of having hard sex with his gf.Her moans and the claps can be heard all day long; in the morning,in the evening,at night,well,there's simply no fixed time.I know that's lewd,but I want to be honest with you.I don't cook,but on the few occasions I've been to the kitchen,the fridge and everything else were pretty dirty.So think twice before you choose your accommodation; when you'll get your offer,you will still be able to alter your choices,depending on availability.If you get noisy neighbours in Tyler,then nothing will stop you from hearing them....
Original post by rile06
Wait what? Close to green space?

I'm in Tyler Court A and the other two are just behind.Park Wood is a lot greener.

Go out of Tyler A. Turn left. Keep going. You're suddenly on the big grassy hill on campus...

It may not look like much more than a muddy hole this time of the year but it's lush during the summer months.

If you get noisy neighbours in Tyler,then nothing will stop you from hearing them....

A risk you take with any accommodation. If anything, the walls are thinner in the older campus buildings.
Reply 8
Go out of Tyler A. Turn left. Keep going. You're suddenly on the big grassy hill on campus...

It may not look like much more than a muddy hole this time of the year but it's lush during the summer months.

A risk you take with any accommodation. If anything, the walls are thinner in the older campus buildings.

Oh you mean this? Yeah,alright that's a green space.

When I think about green space,I imagine the flat being surrounded with green,like Park Wood houses are.

As for the walls being thinner,maybe you're right.But I know acquaintances who've had the same problems in Keynes and the other newer Tylers.It depends much on the flatmates,but the risk is minimized when you live in a house or something.When you live in a place like Tyler,you're disturbed by anybody who walks along the corridor - some are quiet,some are freaking noisy and don't mind screaming or laughing loudly in the early hours of the morning.I sort of like Tyler,because I've grown used to these annoying persons - I don't even speak to them and try not to acknowledge their existence - but it might get hard for some people.For instance,I don't see a religious girl from a conservative country staying there without being shocked.

I'm just sharing my opinion as a guy who's living there,for upon making my choice for accommodation last year,I wasn't told enough about how it really is and what difficulties I might experience.
I have put down Kent as my firm choice and will be doing Film studies. I'm not sure to which accommodation I should apply for. Can you help me with any suggestion? I think I will be studying around Gulbenkian and Rutherford college.
Reply 10
Living near a lecture room can be a huge advantage,especially when you have to wake up in the morning.However the biggest advantage of all is to live near your school (the place where you submit your coursework).

I'm in SMSAS and live in Tyler Court,so sometimes I'm completing my homework like 15 minutes before deadline.I don't do it very often,but still...

But,if that's not a problem for you,you can choose whichever accommodation that suits you.

To answer your question,Rutherford,Darwin and Tyler Court are the nearest accommodations to Rutherford lecture rooms.Tyler Court is the best,as it has an en-suite and a kitchen,then comes Darwin because it has a kitchen and large room,and then,Rutherford which just has a kitchenette.
Thank you
Reply 12
Turing is really really nice. You don't have an en suite but you share a really nice bathroom with just one other person. The kitchen is the best bit though - it's huge, with a huge table, sofas and a TV ariel point (which I havent seen in any other Kent halls). It's basically like a huge kitchen/dining room/living room. I really missed having a living room when I was in my first year so I would definitely have gone for Turing if it was built then. Some of Turing is ready, my friend is living there currently. I will attach a picture of the kitchen, although you can't really see it properly. You'll be able to see how generally nice it is though and how much space there is (this is only a tiny section of the kitchen). (Ignore the picture of the bedroom, it's not of Turing and I have no idea why it uploaded with the picture of the kitchen, hopefully it'll disappear!)

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by rm436
Turing is really really nice. You don't have an en suite but you share a really nice bathroom with just one other person. The kitchen is the best bit though - it's huge, with a huge table, sofas and a TV ariel point (which I havent seen in any other Kent halls). It's basically like a huge kitchen/dining room/living room. I really missed having a living room when I was in my first year so I would definitely have gone for Turing if it was built then. Some of Turing is ready, my friend is living there currently. I will attach a picture of the kitchen, although you can't really see it properly. You'll be able to see how generally nice it is though and how much space there is (this is only a tiny section of the kitchen). (Ignore the picture of the bedroom, it's not of Turing and I have no idea why it uploaded with the picture of the kitchen, hopefully it'll disappear!)

As far as I know,there are two types of accommodation at Turing.One gives you an en-suite,and the other gives you a bathroom which you share with only another person.
Reply 14
Original post by pvcnt
Hi, i applied for Turing too but then i heard there are still a lot of issues and builders constantly coming in to fix them etc. Has your friend said anything about that? Do you know if the construction is really a problem?

I can't speak for everyone but I don't think that's been a problem for my friend. He has only said good things about Turing.
What is the closest accommodation to Jarman Building?
Reply 16
Original post by RafxAdidas
What is the closest accommodation to Jarman Building?

Keynes or Eliot, probably Eliot by a few seconds. The campus is pretty small though, all accommodation is well within a 10 minute walk from Jarman with the exception of Parkwood which is probably 15/20.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending