The Student Room Group

Be honest, how often do you 'rep-fish'?

Poll

Do you rep-fish?

'Rep-fishing'-: posting something (usually funny) but only vaguely related to the topic of the thread and hardly contributes to the thread, and is intended solely to make people give you rep.

I admit that I'm very guilty of doing this.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes. When I do that, I get disappointed if I don't manage to get it on the first page, because it's much less likely to be repped. Especially if it ends up a 5+ page thread. It's great to get a comment on the first page though, because then pretty much everyone who clicks on it will see it.

That said, my most repped posts are all relevant and decent posts that were not the result of rep fishing. All on the first page though.
I didn't know it was a thing...
Reply 3
Original post by Imperion
I didn't know it was a thing...

I coined the phrase.
Original post by RFowler
Sometimes. When I do that, I get disappointed if I don't manage to get it on the first page, because it's much less likely to be repped. Especially if it ends up a 5+ page thread. It's great to get a comment on the first page though, because then pretty much everyone who clicks on it will see it.

That said, my most repped posts are all relevant and decent posts that were not the result of rep fishing. All on the first page though.

I agree that it's much less likely to be repped if it's not on the first page, as people don't tend to read page 54 out of 71 as much as page 1 or page 71, so I tend to scramble to get my post on page 1.

I should stop rep-fishing, to be honest, but it's a hard temptation to overcome.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Every post I'm fishing yo
Reply 5
[Insert pretentious off-the-wall comment for the purpose of rep]
Reply 6
Original post by Evening
[Insert pretentious off-the-wall comment for the purpose of rep]

Sorry, no cake for you this time... at least for now.
Reply 7
I don't know what you are talking about. :colondollar:

*most of my reps I got for on topic arguments/opinions BAH I DON'T EVEN FEEL GUILTY*
inb4 OP gets repped for making people realise they do this alot

Edit: this was indeed a successful rep-fish
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Never.

I'll sometimes post a sarcy response for my own amusement, but I couldn't care less about rep.
Reply 10
Original post by Gaiaphage
inb4 OP gets repped for making people realise they do this alot

At least I'm subtly raising a point this time!
i used to do it all the time. don't care anymore though. since negs were removed rep has lost its charm.
Until TSR went all professional, all the time. It was much easier in them days.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by og.east
i used to do it all the time. don't care anymore though. since negs were removed rep has lost its charm.

I must say a case for neg rep could be made that it can penalize rep baiters, although I understand that neg rep can be misused so many times; e.g. giving neg rep to somebody who simply holds a different opinion to you.
Reply 14
I'm a rep whore.
Reply 15
Original post by Josb
I'm a rep whore.

I thought you're respected enough that you don't even have to rep-fish!
I got in 6 blocks in 2months without rep-fishing. Beat that.
Reply 17
Original post by flibber
I thought you're respected enough that you don't even have to rep-fish!

I can't quit. I...need...reps....:sogood:
Reply 18
Original post by TorpidPhil
I got in 6 blocks in 2months without rep-fishing. Beat that.

That's because judging from your posts, you make very intelligent points which earns you respect.
Original post by flibber
I must say a case for neg rep could be made that it can penalize rep baiters, although I understand that neg rep can be misused so many times; e.g. giving neg rep to somebody who simply holds a different opinion to you.

tbh there's nothing wrong with a bit of rep whoring. if it's funny, who cares?

Quick Reply

Latest