The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

I did this exam last year and have a list of the case studies I used for Rivers, Coasts, Population and Health. Direct message me if you want to know what you need, I also have all my old notes on the topics too:smile:
Original post by jenny1995
I did this exam last year and have a list of the case studies I used for Rivers, Coasts, Population and Health. Direct message me if you want to know what you need, I also have all my old notes on the topics too:smile:

Jenny, I'm doing the same topics as you did! Do you mind if you send me/upload your notes onto this forum?

Thank you :smile:)
Original post by Shannonmarie97
I'm resitting AS from last year, I only got a C overall and I still struggle with Periglacial processes/landforms. Could someone possibly explain them in the most simplistic way please? :frown:

So the four main periglacial processes are: nivation, permafrost formation, frost heave and solifluction

Nivation is simply the effect snow/ice has on the land around it, it is the repeated action of freeze-thaw (for example it is how Corries create that steep back wall)
Permafrost formation occurs when the temperature is often/always below 0*c for two years, leading to continuous, discontinuous and sporadic permafrost. All permafrost has an active layer above it up to 4m deep which thaws in summer.
Frost heave occurs as rocks in the ground insulate the soils beneath them, leading to small collections of moisture in summer. In winter (or at night) these freeze and expand by 10%, pushing the rock upwards. This continues until the rocks break the surface.
Solifluction is when the active layer thaws in summer, water logging soils which leads to excessive lubrication so the soils slump down slope.

The 5 main periglacial landforms are: nivation hollows, ice wedges, patterned ground, pingos and solifluction lobes.

Nivation hollows are simply hollows deepened by nivation again corries for example.
Ice wedges are formed from repeated freeze-thaw action. Ice melts in the day so water falls into crevasses in the rocks. At night these freeze and expand by 10%, pushing the crack open which allows more water in, etc.
Pattered ground is formed by frost heave. When rocks reach the surface and there is no slope, they fall around the mound they hve come from creating stone polygons. When there is a gradient, rocks roll down the slope creating stone stripes.
Pingos are the most difficult IMO, and come in two types:
Open system (Greenland type) occur when meltwater under the permafrost is forced up in cracks due to high pressure. As this nears the surface it freezes and an ice lobe is created in the ground. This continues to gain water mass and grows, pushing the soils above it upwards to create a pingo.
Close system (Mackenzie type) occur when a lake insulates the ground beneath it. The lake eventually becomes in-filled with sediment but the water particles beneath the lake remain. Without the lake to insulate them they freeze and join together, pushing the sediment of the in-filled lake upwards creating a pingo.
With both of these the ice lobes beneath can melt causing the pingo to collapse.
Finally, solifluction lobes are easy, they're just slumps of land created by solifluction. If you google image search "Solifluction lobes" it makes a lot more sense :smile:

Really hope these help! I'm also doing population, health and rivers if you want any help with those :smile:
Does anyone have the unit 2 June 2014 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hayley williams
i did dofe for a week (the prep) and quite. Your a brave soul. Did a chemistry summer school instead, so i had something to take about on my personal statement :smile: get the aqua geo textbook, the one by skinner not the other one (theres 2) its amazing! I wouldn't mind sending you a few notes if you need some help :0

yes please! :-)
Original post by Minnieh21
So exams are coming up soon, and was wondering if people have started revising for this yet. Im doing health, population, rivers and cold environments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might be an idea to change the title to include GEOG2 as well (or, start a new thread for that).
Reply 186
I'm doing Population, Health, Rivers and Cold Environments.

I've got the AQA cgp revision guide, and looking at the Geography specification it seems to have everything in it relevant to the course. If I revise just from the cgp book can I still get an A at as?
Original post by Ewan12
I'm doing Population, Health, Rivers and Cold Environments.

I've got the AQA cgp revision guide, and looking at the Geography specification it seems to have everything in it relevant to the course. If I revise just from the cgp book can I still get an A at as?

I'm doing the same topics Ewan, and I'd say you possibly could, but most likely you wouldn't be able to quite get into the A grade.
You need to know a lot of detail in case studies and I just don't feel the cgp guide gives you that! I use the guide very little actually, mainly focussing on my notes from class, the specification and a website called 'coolgeography'. It sounds like a terrible website but it actually has most of its content directly from mark schemes and links in very well with the topics. Past paper questions can highlight to you just how much detail is needed.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by Rosie213
I'm doing the same topics Ewan, and I'd say you possibly could, but most likely you wouldn't be able to quite get into the A grade.
You need to know a lot of detail in case studies and I just don't feel the cgp guide gives you that! I use the guide very little actually, mainly focussing on my notes from class, the specification and a website called 'coolgeography'. It sounds like a terrible website but it actually has most of its content directly from mark schemes and links in very well with the topics. Past paper questions can highlight to you just how much detail is needed.
Good luck! :smile:
Thank you very much for the reply! Our school cut down the amount of lessons for geography and we won't finish the course in time for exams so I'm just trying to figure out the best resource to learn from.
I'll probably just use the Phillip Allan AS textbook but I checked out that website and case studies seem to be very in depth so thank you for directing me there! :smile:
Original post by Ewan12
Thank you very much for the reply! Our school cut down the amount of lessons for geography and we won't finish the course in time for exams so I'm just trying to figure out the best resource to learn from.
I'll probably just use the Phillip Allan AS textbook but I checked out that website and case studies seem to be very in depth so thank you for directing me there! :smile:

Wow, that's so unacceptable of them! I hope you manage to cover everything in time for the ever-nearing exam, luckily we've already finished all the content and are just revision in lessons now. Message me if you have an questions we may be able to go through them together :smile:
Curious to see how much time people spend on their 15 markers?

I know its one minute per mark, but the shortest time I've ever written a 15 marker is 30 minutes :frown:
What do you guys think will be the 15 marker in Rivers, Population and Cold environments, health if you study them ?
Original post by peanutbutterjam
Curious to see how much time people spend on their 15 markers?

I know its one minute per mark, but the shortest time I've ever written a 15 marker is 30 minutes :frown:

Personally around 20-25 mins, I too find the shorter answer questions are less than a mark per min so have a little extra time for the 15 marker :smile:
What are some good revision methods that help you remember? Flashcards don't always help and the exam is in three weeks!
Reply 194
Does anyone know where I can get some good, detailed notes for health including case studies as we've only had 3 lessons on it so far and only 4 more before the exam so I'd like to teach myself rather than relying on my incapable teachers! I've got revision guides but I find most of them are very vague in the human topics :confused:
Reply 195
Original post by Louanneee
What are some good revision methods that help you remember? Flashcards don't always help and the exam is in three weeks!

For case studies in particular I like to make a poster with very concise facts on and put it on my wall, I find myself reading it when I don't even intend to so I just learn the facts without a great deal of effort! For landforms I also make posters but just with pictures/diagrams on so I can visualise it rather than just learning a paragraph of by heart!:smile:
Original post by gec98
For case studies in particular I like to make a poster with very concise facts on and put it on my wall, I find myself reading it when I don't even intend to so I just learn the facts without a great deal of effort! For landforms I also make posters but just with pictures/diagrams on so I can visualise it rather than just learning a paragraph of by heart!:smile:

Thank you! I will be sure to do this tomorrow!!
Is everyone just revising by doing past papers and practice essays?
Original post by molly2947

Yeah :smile: I'm also doing one side of A4 per Case Study and mind maps for the different topics that only use key words so that it forces me to think about the information rather than just read it.
Reply 199
Original post by molly2947

Yeah :smile: I try to time myself and not use my notes to see how much i can remember. I think it's best to do past papers and paractice essays now since its so close to exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending