The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by azzax
Hiya :smile: im glad you found it helpful! :smile: yeah I'm doing coasts as well :smile: do you need help with something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you happen to have any good resources for coasts for coastal landforms or how to go about describing and explaining them like you did with Rivers, doesn't have to be as much detail as you provided before. Any little helps, thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone doing energy??
Reply 102
Original post by TheGreatImposter
Would you happen to have any good resources for coasts for coastal landforms or how to go about describing and explaining them like you did with Rivers, doesn't have to be as much detail as you provided before. Any little helps, thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure :smile:

Headlands
Description: a narrow piece of land that projects from a coastline into the sea. It separates one sediment cell from another.
Explanation: Weak areas at the base of the headland are attacked by waves to form a crack in the headland. This occurs sue to hydraulic action. Further erosion from wave attack causes the crack to expand forming a cave. The cave is widened and deepened until it cuts through the headland forming an arch (example: Durdle Door, Dorset).The roof of the arch is continually undercut by wave attack and eventually collapses leaving a stack. The stack in then continually eroded by hydraulic action leaving a stump (example: Old Harry Rock, Dorset)

Wave Cut Platform
Description: narrow flat area found at the base of a cliff.
Explanation: The base of the cliff is eroded by the sea by abrasion, solution and hydraulic action. The cliff face has been undercut which forms a notch. An overhang is formed which eventually collapses. The fallen rocks are eroded by attrition and transported away by the sea. A gentle sloping rocky area is left where the cliff once stood. (example: Robin Hoods Bay)

Bays
Description: an inlet of the sea where the land curves inwards
Explanation: The sea erodes the coast by abrasion, solution and hydraulic action. The softer rock is eroded faster than the harder rock. The harder rock juts out (headland) and the softer rock retreats causing the land to curve. Depending on how the hard and soft rock s are arranged the shape of the bay is different. If the rocks are perpendicular to one another, the bay is likely to an uneven curve (example: Llandudno Bay). If the rocks are parallel to one another (band of soft rock with hard rock behind it) the bay ill have a perfect curve (example: Lulworth Cove, Dorset).
Wave refraction: waves bend towards the headland where the is shallow water resulting in frequent waves at the base of the headland. This leads to the erosion of headlands and eventually a straighter coastline. The process then starts again.

Caves and Geos
Description: a geo is a narrow inlet into which waves reach at high tide
Explanation: Waves open up a crack in the cliff by hydraulic action. The crack is expanded to become a cave by marine erosion. The roof of the cave collapses - a geo is formed.

Caves and blowholes
Description: a hole in a cliff through which columns of spray are jetted upward.
Explanation: Waves open up a crack in a cliff by hydraulic action. The crack is expanded to become a cave by marine erosion. Part of the roof collapses or a vertical crack forms due to marine erosion. This is called a blowhole. When waves during high tide/storm hit the back of the cave, some water is spurted out on top of the cliff through the blowhole.

Sand dunes
Description: mounted sand that forms a hill like structure with pioneer species growing on top of it
Explanation: for a sand dune to form, 3 things are essential - wide sandy beach (to provide the sand needed), constructive waves (to deposit the sediments), prevailing onshore wind (to blow the sand on to the dune). There is an obstruction on the beach (pebble, driftwood etc). Sand grains are blown/bounced onto the beach by onshore winds (saltation). Sand grains collect in the lee (sheltered site) of the obstruction. A small mound forms. Pioneer species such as marram grass begins to grow in the sand. Their roots bind the sand together. An embryo dune is formed. As pioneer species develop, their roots bind the dune together. More sand is blown onto the dune. It gets bigger and more pioneer species begin to grow. The dune is now called a Yellow Dune. In time the Yellow Dunes will become Grey Dunes with a great variety of species. such as sea holly This occurs because as plants die and decay, they form humus, which is needed for further plant growth. At times the wind can blow a hole into the dune system. This is called a blow out.

Spits
Description: an extended stretch of beach material that projects out to sea and is joined to the mainland at one end
Explanation: spits form on stretches of coast where the beach is drift aligned. Sand and shingles are transported along the coast by longshore drift. It may reach a point where the coast changes direction or there is a break in the coastline (for example the mouth of a river or an estuary). Here sediment will build up and begin to jut out into the sea. A spit is beginning to form. The recurved end of the spit is due to: a short term change in wind direction or wave refraction (example: Blackney Point, North Norfolk).

Tombolas
Description: a spit can sometimes extend out from the coast to link an island to the mainland/shore.
Explanation: is the same as that for spits :smile: (example: Chesil Beach connecting the Isle of Portland to Dorset Beach)

Bars
Description: a strip of beach which is formed in front of a bay.
Explanation: Longshore drift transports sediments across the coast. A bay is a gap in the coast. The sediment is deposited eventually separating the bay from the sea . This is called a bar. The old bay is now called a lagoon. Overtime the lagoon is filled by mass movement.

Fjords
Description: a submergent landform that is a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea between high cliffs.
Explanation: Pre glacial: the river flows to the sea in a v-shaped valley. Glacial: a river of ice (glacier) flows to the sea. This makes a U-shaped valley as the valley sides are eroded by the glacier. post glacial: At the end of the ice age, the glacier melts leaving a deep U-shaped valley. The sea level rises and the sea water floods the glacial valley. This is called a fjord (example: Soyne Fjord, Norway)

Rias
Description: a flooded estuary; a type of submergent landform
Explanation: The sea level rises causing part of the lower course of the river and estuary to flood. This usually happens when the estuary and lower course of a river are narrow (example: River Fowey, Cornwall)

Raised beaches
Description: a former beach now lying above water level; an example of an emergent landform
Explanation: The original cliff is exposed to marine and sub-aerial erosion and the beach is usually covered at high tide. When there is a fall in sea level, the sea can no longer reach the beach as it is above sea level. A raised beach is formed. The cliffs are exposed to only sub-aerial erosion and are now called fossil cliffs. AS time goes on, a new beach is formed and the old beach forms the new cliff line which is exposed to marine and sub aerial erosion. The fossil cliffs become weathered and vegetated and are prone to mass movement (example: Rhosilli Beach, South Wales)

I hope this helps! :smile: I haven't done salt marshes on here but if you want me to do them let me know and I'll add it in :smile:
I hope this is what you were looking for! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 103
Original post by SubwayLover1
Is anyone doing energy??

Yeah I am studying it at college at the moment :smile: We started the topic before the holidays so we should be finished third week back! :smile:
Original post by azzax
Sure :smile:

Headlands
Description: a narrow piece of land that projects from a coastline into the sea. It separates one sediment cell from another.
Explanation: Weak areas at the base of the headland are attacked by waves to form a crack in the headland. This occurs sue to hydraulic action. Further erosion from wave attack causes the crack to expand forming a cave. The cave is widened and deepened until it cuts through the headland forming an arch (example: Durdle Door, Dorset).The roof of the arch is continually undercut by wave attack and eventually collapses leaving a stack. The stack in then continually eroded by hydraulic action leaving a stump (example: Old Harry Rock, Dorset)

Wave Cut Platform
Description: narrow flat area found at the base of a cliff.
Explanation: The base of the cliff is eroded by the sea by abrasion, solution and hydraulic action. The cliff face has been undercut which forms a notch. An overhang is formed which eventually collapses. The fallen rocks are eroded by attrition and transported away by the sea. A gentle sloping rocky area is left where the cliff once stood. (example: Robin Hoods Bay)

Bays
Description: an inlet of the sea where the land curves inwards
Explanation: The sea erodes the coast by abrasion, solution and hydraulic action. The softer rock is eroded faster than the harder rock. The harder rock juts out (headland) and the softer rock retreats causing the land to curve. Depending on how the hard and soft rock s are arranged the shape of the bay is different. If the rocks are perpendicular to one another, the bay is likely to an uneven curve (example: Llandudno Bay). If the rocks are parallel to one another (band of soft rock with hard rock behind it) the bay ill have a perfect curve (example: Lulworth Cove, Dorset).
Wave refraction: waves bend towards the headland where the is shallow water resulting in frequent waves at the base of the headland. This leads to the erosion of headlands and eventually a straighter coastline. The process then starts again.

Caves and Geos
Description: a geo is a narrow inlet into which waves reach at high tide
Explanation: Waves open up a crack in the cliff by hydraulic action. The crack is expanded to become a cave by marine erosion. The roof of the cave collapses - a geo is formed.

Caves and blowholes
Description: a hole in a cliff through which columns of spray are jetted upward.
Explanation: Waves open up a crack in a cliff by hydraulic action. The crack is expanded to become a cave by marine erosion. Part of the roof collapses or a vertical crack forms due to marine erosion. This is called a blowhole. When waves during high tide/storm hit the back of the cave, some water is spurted out on top of the cliff through the blowhole.

Sand dunes
Description: mounted sand that forms a hill like structure with pioneer species growing on top of it
Explanation: for a sand dune to form, 3 things are essential - wide sandy beach (to provide the sand needed), constructive waves (to deposit the sediments), prevailing onshore wind (to blow the sand on to the dune). There is an obstruction on the beach (pebble, driftwood etc). Sand grains are blown/bounced onto the beach by onshore winds (saltation). Sand grains collect in the lee (sheltered site) of the obstruction. A small mound forms. Pioneer species such as marram grass begins to grow in the sand. Their roots bind the sand together. An embryo dune is formed. As pioneer species develop, their roots bind the dune together. More sand is blown onto the dune. It gets bigger and more pioneer species begin to grow. The dune is now called a Yellow Dune. In time the Yellow Dunes will become Grey Dunes with a great variety of species. such as sea holly This occurs because as plants die and decay, they form humus, which is needed for further plant growth. At times the wind can blow a hole into the dune system. This is called a blow out.

Spits
Description: an extended stretch of beach material that projects out to sea and is joined to the mainland at one end
Explanation: spits form on stretches of coast where the beach is drift aligned. Sand and shingles are transported along the coast by longshore drift. It may reach a point where the coast changes direction or there is a break in the coastline (for example the mouth of a river or an estuary). Here sediment will build up and begin to jut out into the sea. A spit is beginning to form. The recurved end of the spit is due to: a short term change in wind direction or wave refraction (example: Blackney Point, North Norfolk).

Tombolas
Description: a spit can sometimes extend out from the coast to link an island to the mainland/shore.
Explanation: is the same as that for spits :smile: (example: Chesil Beach connecting the Isle of Portland to Dorset Beach)

Bars
Description: a strip of beach which is formed in front of a bay.
Explanation: Longshore drift transports sediments across the coast. A bay is a gap in the coast. The sediment is deposited eventually separating the bay from the sea . This is called a bar. The old bay is now called a lagoon. Overtime the lagoon is filled by mass movement.

Fjords
Description: a submergent landform that is a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea between high cliffs.
Explanation: Pre glacial: the river flows to the sea in a v-shaped valley. Glacial: a river of ice (glacier) flows to the sea. This makes a U-shaped valley as the valley sides are eroded by the glacier. post glacial: At the end of the ice age, the glacier melts leaving a deep U-shaped valley. The sea level rises and the sea water floods the glacial valley. This is called a fjord (example: Soyne Fjord, Norway)

Rias
Description: a flooded estuary; a type of submergent landform
Explanation: The sea level rises causing part of the lower course of the river and estuary to flood. This usually happens when the estuary and lower course of a river are narrow (example: River Fowey, Cornwall)

Raised beaches
Description: a former beach now lying above water level; an example of an emergent landform
Explanation: The original cliff is exposed to marine and sub-aerial erosion and the beach is usually covered at high tide. When there is a fall in sea level, the sea can no longer reach the beach as it is above sea level. A raised beach is formed. The cliffs are exposed to only sub-aerial erosion and are now called fossil cliffs. AS time goes on, a new beach is formed and the old beach forms the new cliff line which is exposed to marine and sub aerial erosion. The fossil cliffs become weathered and vegetated and are prone to mass movement (example: Rhosilli Beach, South Wales)

I hope this helps! :smile: I haven't done salt marshes on here but if you want me to do them let me know and I'll add it in :smile:
I hope this is what you were looking for! :smile:

This is perfect thank you so much, if you could do salt marshes that'd be great, I can just put these into my notes :tongue:

Well rep once on the online site :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azzax
Yeah I am studying it at college at the moment :smile: We started the topic before the holidays so we should be finished third week back! :smile:

I am finding it hard because of all the facts :frown: my textbook has really outdated facts :frown:
Reply 106
Original post by TheGreatImposter
This is perfect thank you so much, if you could do salt marshes that'd be great, I can just put these into my notes :tongue:

Well rep once on the online site :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! :smile:

Here's salt marshes :smile:

Salt marshes
Description: coastal wetlands that are flooded and drained by salt water brought in by tides. They are colonised by salt tolerant (halophytic) vegetation.
Explanation: Mudflats are formed in sheltered, clam water where fine material can be deposited and can settle and slowly build up. They are often formed behind spits. Salt water species such as Eelgrass begin to grow slowing down currents and causing more deposition. Pioneer vegetation begin to colonise the area. These plants can tolerate salt as they are covered by the sea twice a day (high tide). Pioneer species fully colonise the entire area and build up a tick mat of vegetation and mud. This can be 15cm thick. This continues to develop as more mud is trapped by the plant's roots. Dead organic matter adds to the layer. This is now a salt marsh. Creeks or rivulets develop in the salt marsh so that the salt water can drain back into the sea. As the march continues to rise above sea level it is rarely covered by the sea. Now less hardy species colonise the area such as reeds.
This is an example of vegetation succession as new species colonise the are to replace the pioneer species once the conditions changes. In this way it is like a sand dune system.
Reply 107
I am finding it hard because of all the facts :frown: my textbook has really outdated facts :frown:

Ohh I see. Well so far I have figures for the UK Energy Mix, where the worlds energy is found, where the energy is used and of Gazprom which was my Geopolitics case study :smile:

If you want any of the figures for any of the above, let me know I'll post them on here :smile:
Is anybody doing health? :smile:
Original post by azzax
Ohh I see. Well so far I have figures for the UK Energy Mix, where the worlds energy is found, where the energy is used and of Gazprom which was my Geopolitics case study :smile:

If you want any of the figures for any of the above, let me know I'll post them on here :smile:

Would you be able to do that? Thank-you so much!!!:smile:
Reply 110
Would you be able to do that? Thank-you so much!!!:smile:

Sure and you're welcome! :smile:

The UK's energy mix: (as of 2011)
Coal - 17%
Oil - 33%
Gas - 37%
Nuclear - 8%
Renewables - 5%

Energy supply:
Around 70% of the worlds oil reserves are found in middle income countries
5% of similar resources in low income countries
25% in high income countries where consumption is greatest

Oil supply:
25% of the worlds proven oil reserves are in Saudi Arabia
North America and Russia also have significant reserves but they are often in harsh environments and expensive to extract

Natural gas:
40% of the total natural gas comes from Russia
35% of the total reserves are in the Middle-East
Oil and gas are found in similar locations as they are formed in similar conditions

Coal:
Is the most widely distributed of the fossil fuels with reserves in most countries.

Uranium:
Main fuel source for the nuclear industry.
Largest supplies are found in North America and Australia which account for 50% of the worlds reserves.

Energy consumption:
Consumption like supply, is unevenly distributed but there is a positive correlation - 'as wealth (GDP) increases so does energy consumption'

Oil:
Western Europe, North America and Japan are the most important consumers of oil. USA is the largest per capita consumer but produces much of its own oil. Trade in oil is largely between middle-eastern producers and western consumers.
OPEC (organisation of oil exporting countries) - group (cartel) of middle-easter oil producing countries who work together to try and control oil exports and so control oil prices.

Natural gas:
Accounts for 25% of the world's energy consumption. It's largely used to generate electricity. The 3 highest consumers are USA, Russia and Western Europe . However, far less gas is transported compared to oil as it is expensive - it needs to be cooled and liquefied.

Coal:
Main consumers are USA, Russia and China. These countries are all major producers of coal as it is bulky and expensive to transport.

Uranium:
Consumption of uranium is closely linked to the production of nuclear power. Concequently the main users are also the main producers of nuclear power - France, Japan and new producers such as China and South Korea.

Geopolitics of energy - Russia and Gazprom
Gazprom is the largest gas company in the world.
It controls about a third of the world's gas reserves.
It accounts for 92% of Russia's gas production
It provides 25% of the EUs natural gas. In 2007, it provided 4% of Britain's gas supply.
Over 80% of gas exports to Western European countries cross Ukraine (a transit state)
Gazprom is the sole supplier to Finland, Estovia, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldiva and Slovakia (it's ok to justvlearn 2 of the countries)
It is the world's third largest corporation.
It began in 1992: the Government of the Russian Federation still owns 50.002% of the shares in Gazprom, and Gazprom retains very close links to the state.
It employed 432000 in 2006.
In 2009 Russia topped Saudi Arabia as the world's largest gas exporter.

Energy in Russia has:
Helped to re-assert Russia's power and influence over former soviet states and neighbours.
Given Russia a way to restore its international position and regain geopolitical importance.

Critics say Russia has been using the supply of gas as a weapon:
In November/December 2004 Ukraine ( a former soviet state) replaced its pro-Russian government with one led by pro-Western reformers. In January 2006, Ukraine found its gas (supplied by Gazprom) cut off, after Russia decided to quadruple the price and Ukraine's government refused to pay.
In March 2008 Gazprom again cut gas supplies to Ukraine over 'disputed debts' of £770 million which Ukraine claim they paid but Gazprom claim they haven't. At this time Ukraine was seeking to join the EU which angered Russia.

Europe's energy security:
Should western-europe be worries about its energy security?

Yes: because of the amount of gas Russia supplies to europe. All of the gas supply vavles lie within Ukraine. When Gazprom cut the supply to Ukraine in 2006, the flow of gas to the rest of Europe fell by 40%. In 2009-10 Gazprom cut supplies to Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania in a new dispute.

No: Western Europe is a too valuable export market to lose so it is the former soviet states that are more likely toblose out. Even during the Cold War gas supplies were stable. Gazprom and the EU are planning to construct new pipelines that bypass the Ukraine.
The EU including the UK is looking for alternative energy sources possibly more nuclear power.

I hope this helps!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azzax
Sure and you're welcome! :smile:

The UK's energy mix: (as of 2011)
Coal - 17%
Oil - 33%
Gas - 37%
Nuclear - 8%
Renewables - 5%

Energy supply:
Around 70% of the worlds oil reserves are found in middle income countries
5% of similar resources in low income countries
25% in high income countries where consumption is greatest

Oil supply:
25% of the worlds proven oil reserves are in Saudi Arabia
North America and Russia also have significant reserves but they are often in harsh environments and expensive to extract

Natural gas:
40% of the total natural gas comes from Russia
35% of the total reserves are in the Middle-East
Oil and gas are found in similar locations as they are formed in similar conditions

Coal:
Is the most widely distributed of the fossil fuels with reserves in most countries.

Uranium:
Main fuel source for the nuclear industry.
Largest supplies are found in North America and Australia which account for 50% of the worlds reserves.

Energy consumption:
Consumption like supply, is unevenly distributed but there is a positive correlation - 'as wealth (GDP) increases so does energy consumption'

Oil:
Western Europe, North America and Japan are the most important consumers of oil. USA is the largest per capita consumer but produces much of its own oil. Trade in oil is largely between middle-eastern producers and western consumers.
OPEC (organisation of oil exporting countries) - group (cartel) of middle-easter oil producing countries who work together to try and control oil exports and so control oil prices.

Natural gas:
Accounts for 25% of the world's energy consumption. It's largely used to generate electricity. The 3 highest consumers are USA, Russia and Western Europe . However, far less gas is transported compared to oil as it is expensive - it needs to be cooled and liquefied.

Coal:
Main consumers are USA, Russia and China. These countries are all major producers of coal as it is bulky and expensive to transport.

Uranium:
Consumption of uranium is closely linked to the production of nuclear power. Concequently the main users are also the main producers of nuclear power - France, Japan and new producers such as China and South Korea.

Geopolitics of energy - Russia and Gazprom
Gazprom is the largest gas company in the world.
It controls about a third of the world's gas reserves.
It accounts for 92% of Russia's gas production
It provides 25% of the EUs natural gas. In 2007, it provided 4% of Britain's gas supply.
Over 80% of gas exports to Western European countries cross Ukraine (a transit state)
Gazprom is the sole supplier to Finland, Estovia, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldiva and Slovakia (it's ok to justvlearn 2 of the countries)
It is the world's third largest corporation.
It began in 1992: the Government of the Russian Federation still owns 50.002% of the shares in Gazprom, and Gazprom retains very close links to the state.
It employed 432000 in 2006.
In 2009 Russia topped Saudi Arabia as the world's largest gas exporter.

Energy in Russia has:
Helped to re-assert Russia's power and influence over former soviet states and neighbours.
Given Russia a way to restore its international position and regain geopolitical importance.

Critics say Russia has been using the supply of gas as a weapon:
In November/December 2004 Ukraine ( a former soviet state) replaced its pro-Russian government with one led by pro-Western reformers. In January 2006, Ukraine found its gas (supplied by Gazprom) cut off, after Russia decided to quadruple the price and Ukraine's government refused to pay.
In March 2008 Gazprom again cut gas supplies to Ukraine over 'disputed debts' of £770 million which Ukraine claim they paid but Gazprom claim they haven't. At this time Ukraine was seeking to join the EU which angered Russia.

Europe's energy security:
Should western-europe be worries about its energy security?

Yes: because of the amount of gas Russia supplies to europe. All of the gas supply vavles lie within Ukraine. When Gazprom cut the supply to Ukraine in 2006, the flow of gas to the rest of Europe fell by 40%. In 2009-10 Gazprom cut supplies to Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania in a new dispute.

No: Western Europe is a too valuable export market to lose so it is the former soviet states that are more likely toblose out. Even during the Cold War gas supplies were stable. Gazprom and the EU are planning to construct new pipelines that bypass the Ukraine.
The EU including the UK is looking for alternative energy sources possibly more nuclear power.

I hope this helps!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

God Bless you!
You are a legend!
Thank-you so much :smile:!!
Reply 112
God Bless you!
You are a legend!
Thank-you so much :smile:!!

Haha you're welcome! :smile:
Once we get back to college, I'll continue to post stuff on energy as I learn it if you want? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azzax
Haha you're welcome! :smile:
Once we get back to college, I'll continue to post stuff on energy as I learn it if you want? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be so handy:smile:
I have finished revision for geography but i just need to remember some of the facts and stuff now :smile: SO many facts!!
Reply 114
That would be so handy:smile:
I have finished revision for geography but i just need to remember some of the facts and stuff now :smile: SO many facts!!

Oke I shall do that! :smile:
Yeah the facts are some of the hardest stuff to remember :O
And the number of case studies too manyy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Does anyone have any predictions for this year's paper??
Do we need to know the Bradshaw Model for rivers as it's not on the spec?
Original post by yeslordsugar

Not that I know of.
Reply 119
Original post by yeslordsugar

No you don't need it for the first paper.....if you did it as part of your fieldwork for the second paper then you need to know it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending