The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
xlouisedoll
Does anyone know if there's any truth in the theory that if you listen to stuff while asleep your magically know all the info by the next morning??

Nada,nope, no just lies, tried on Brainiac didnt work
JMoore
Also I thought you wanted to read law - with those grades your hardly going to meet any unis requirements.

What?! OK, so the top unis would be out of reach with those grades, but to say no uni would be happy with BBB is ridiculous!
xlouisedoll
I'm liking this iPod idea! Might give that one a go myself! Although I'm not sure it'd really work for Maths..but it would for Psychology right?

:ditto: I don't think it would work for maths too. You need practice with maths, hands on the equations and doing it the old fashioned way. I might actually do it for French, Economics and Geography.:biggrin: Should be fun:smile:

Does anyone know if there's any truth in the theory that if you listen to stuff while asleep your magically know all the info by the next morning??

I don't think that's true. However, if you listen to them long enough (not whilst you are sleeping ofcourse) they will start to register in your brain.:rolleyes: But I'll test that theory!:smile:
JMoore
If I'm honest, nothing is better than having a good old teacher. If you can't/will not go back to school, have you considered getting a private tutor? There are some days when I know I am better staying at home (e.g. when I understand the concepts but need to learn them) but there are other times where without a teacher I just would not have been able to understand them. For history, the best bet is to read lots of proper history books - don't use revision guides or A level books - they are useless.

Also I thought you wanted to read law - with those grades your hardly going to meet any unis requirements.

That's a bit over the top, don't you think?:rolleyes:
Mustard-man
Why don't you make a song based on your A-level subjects then? :biggrin:

lol I did that for my gcse french and then all my friends started doing it. During the exam, you could see/hear lots of people quietly singing silly little french songs. It was rather amusing. :biggrin:
BeesKnees
lol I did that for my gcse french and then all my friends started doing it. During the exam, you could see/hear lots of people quietly singing silly little french songs. It was rather amusing. :biggrin:

Right, that's it! I'm doing some recording. Although I am not sure what sort of tune it might be. I'm thinking maybe like a rock song or a slow song or just plain reading out notes and recording them. I bet it'll be lots of fun listening to myself because I have such a great voice.:p:
^^ haha, just remember the sillier the song is, the better. Easier to remember something that makes you or other people laugh :p:. Although, if it's that terrible, you might want to refrain from letting other people hear it hehe.
Reply 27
JMoore
If I'm honest, nothing is better than having a good old teacher. If you can't/will not go back to school, have you considered getting a private tutor? There are some days when I know I am better staying at home (e.g. when I understand the concepts but need to learn them) but there are other times where without a teacher I just would not have been able to understand them. For history, the best bet is to read lots of proper history books - don't use revision guides or A level books - they are useless.

I didnt realise that you are attempting to teach yourself this subjects and complete A2's in one year. From what ive heard thats quite hard... good luck though lol.

I do history at the moment and reading history books is all good but they are only good if your using them to gain other opinions on historic events. You cannot get an A in history by JUST reading history books. i dont recommend revision guides because they are normally not detailed enough - to get a decent grade let alone an A you must have a good level of knowledge on the topics as well as being able to argue your view well while keeping the essay balanced eg. for and against
Reply 28
The ipod idea sounds good! No idea how to do it though :frown: Does anybody know??
Reply 29
Just get a microphone and recording software like Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ and then import them onto your itunes :smile:
Amy1122
Just get a microphone and recording software like Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ and then import them onto your itunes :smile:

Ah brilliant! Thanks for the link to the software:smile: This is gonna be so hilarious!
Reply 31
Reading and then writing a paragraph will have little effect, it really won't stay in your memory for long - same with recording your notes on an ipod, fine for recording a lecture and then copying up notes from it, but simply listening to it will have little effect on your knowledge. You need to actively revise by making yourself learn something. The best way is the old memory game that they play in primary school, write something down, cover it up and attempt to write it again. If you have to cheat for the first few times you can but keep doing it until you dont need to cheat anymore, this will actively reinforce the information and hopefully transfer it into your long-term memory. It really works wonders and is much more effective than passive revision (reading, listening, copying out paragraphs etc).
Reply 32
The only problem with that is I dont have enough time, I am already rushing to finish the syllabus, I just feel like giving up:frown:
If you learn acoustically i.e you can listen to songs and pick up the words pretty easily, then recording notes on to your ipod is a very good idea. I think what you're doing atm is a good way to get A's and B's, just constant revision and keep rehearsing key points and you should be fine :smile: x

Latest