The Student Room Group

do guys see sex as a serious thing?

Literally, the generation we live in is so sexually driven.. For guys, its a competition of who f*cked the most girls and rarely do we see a guy that actually see's sex as a serious matter.

So do guys see sex as a serious thing or?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
As I guy I never went to any sort of competition and I do find sex serious.
But there are some friends who like to try with many, others with just their GFs (who can be either for a short term or in a serious relationship).

It is really up to how they live and how they were influenced in life.
Often it depends on the situation. Men, unlike women, are better able to separate sex from love, and generally speaking many guys have high sex drives, so a quick shag without any real emotion behind it is pretty commonplace. It's like scratching an itch, and yeah I guess there's something of a bravado element to it because society deems men as "stallions", so it becomes a competition as well as an urge. Think of lions fighting over a female - same sort of thing really. If you get one up over your peers you're considered more of a stud.

On the other hand, if a guy is in a serious relationship, a lack of sex within that relationship genuinely makes the guy feel as though there's something wrong between him and his other half - that he's being pushed out for some reason. In those cases, there's definitely a serious matter going on. Guys are very...tactile. Physical love within a serious relationship is important to a man - it makes him feel wanted. Denying a man sex is definitely a real ego kick and then you end up with a grumpy uncooperative man, who genuinely feels as though his other half doesn't love him any more. On the other hand, having a healthy regular sex life within a serious relationship and the guy feels happy, wanted, loved, and in turn responds accordingly and the woman finds that the guy is more helpful around the house, more cheerful, more romantic and thoughtful, and so on. Sounds very anti-feminist or whatever - 'keep your man sexually satisfied and he'll treat you well', but I suppose very basically put that's kinda how it works - psychologists have done studies on it, and in most cases it seems to be that this is the case. Not that I would suggest that a man has the right to turn into a dick if you don't want to put out, he might very well not, but he's going to be feeling wounded at least, just like a woman would feel wounded if her other half was unthoughtful in some other way.

Note I'm definitely generalising a bit, but more often than not you get one or the other situation above - depends if the guy is in a relationship or not. Not in all cases or for all people or not, but GENERALLY.
Sex means nothing to me. It's purely physical unless it's with someone I care deeply about.
Well, they should do - it has the potential for altering all their future life - financially, socially, emotionally.

Many a man has had to have a long term relationship with a woman he dislikes because he was rather too slow at understanding the relationship between sex and children.
Original post by kwlanon
Literally, the generation we live in is so sexually driven.. For guys, its a competition of who f*cked the most girls and rarely do we see a guy that actually see's sex as a serious matter.

It can be. It depends entirely on the context. With a FWB, you just do it for hedonistic reasons. With someone that you actually love, then of course it's more serious (but that's not to say that you don't have sex for reasons of pleasure, too).
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

On the other hand, if a guy is in a serious relationship, a lack of sex within that relationship genuinely makes the guy feel as though there's something wrong between him and his other half - that he's being pushed out for some reason. In those cases, there's definitely a serious matter going on. Guys are very...tactile. Physical love within a serious relationship is important to a man - it makes him feel wanted. Denying a man sex is definitely a real ego kick and then you end up with a grumpy uncooperative man, who genuinely feels as though his other half doesn't love him any more. On the other hand, having a healthy regular sex life within a serious relationship and the guy feels happy, wanted, loved, and in turn responds accordingly and the woman finds that the guy is more helpful around the house, more cheerful, more romantic and thoughtful, and so on. Sounds very anti-feminist or whatever - 'keep your man sexually satisfied and he'll treat you well', but I suppose very basically put that's kinda how it works - psychologists have done studies on it, and in most cases it seems to be that this is the case. Not that I would suggest that a man has the right to turn into a dick if you don't want to put out, he might very well not, but he's going to be feeling wounded at least, just like a woman would feel wounded if her other half was unthoughtful in some other way.

Note I'm definitely generalising a bit, but more often than not you get one or the other situation above - depends if the guy is in a relationship or not. Not in all cases or for all people or not, but GENERALLY.

Why is it anti-feminist wanting to make your other half happy and emotionally contented?
I think guys only see it as a serious thing if it's with someone they love otherwise it's more of a physical thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Why is it anti-feminist wanting to make your other half happy and emotionally contented?

Haha well I wouldn't consider myself a feminist so I'm probably the wrong person to ask, but I've heard it said before from the feminist brigade.
Banging a chick in the ass is a pretty serious matter.
Reply 10
Original post by kwlanon

Don't completely accept your contention ie men seek stable rewarding relationships. Sure we get horny but girls do too.
Reply 11
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Often it depends on the situation. Men, unlike women, are better able to separate sex from love, and generally speaking many guys have high sex drives, so a quick shag without any real emotion behind it is pretty commonplace. It's like scratching an itch, and yeah I guess there's something of a bravado element to it because society deems men as "stallions", so it becomes a competition as well as an urge. Think of lions fighting over a female - same sort of thing really. If you get one up over your peers you're considered more of a stud.

Pretty much bang on...

Sex isn't necessarily important in and of itself but it acts as an important barometer for a relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending