Yes 50%
No 50%
Undecided0%
Total votes: 8
Submittedby: Federative Republic Of Brazil

Submission Date: 2014/14 February

Appalled by: Humanrights violation in Indonesia

Action Undertaken:
The Indonesian government recently executed 6 people convicted of drug traffickingby a firing squad, amongst them, a Brazilian national. We are extremelydistressed and outraged at this gross violation of human rights. Such an actionin the 21st century is condemnable by the strongest language. Addinginsult to injury, the Indonesian president has defended the executions.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/18/brazil-netherlands-recall-ambassadors-indonesia-executes-drugs-offenders

Requesting: Sanctionsagainst Indonesia

Ideal Outcome
: We feel that strong action against Indonesia will prevent them fromindulging in such a dastardly act I the future
Reply 1

Original post by Edminzodo
x

Quoted you as the actions of Indonesia involves your citizens as well.
Reply 2
We the Netherlands are appalled at such an action and Although we understand that Indonesia need the stop drugs this is too harsh a punishment and we will not stand for this.
While Russia is sympathetic to your case, we feel an individual in a foreign country should respect the laws of that country. If the individual chooses to break those laws the same punishments should apply to all regardless of nationality.

New Zealand is against the death penalty but believes it is bad manners to assume your own citizens will not face the standard punishment for drug trafficking when abroad as others do in that country. In this case we will continue to campaign for an end to the death penalty but cannot support sanctions without details of what they are.

spandy
QFA

What sanctions is Brazil calling for?
Madagascar agrees that individual nations should be allowed the freedom and autonomy to have their own laws. We feel that drug trafficking is particularly abhorrent and causes so many problems in society that all countries should have highly punitive sanctions in order to deter it.
Switzerland does not like that the death penalty was used, and continue to fight against the death penalty, but all persons, including non-citizens, in the country must adhere to those laws and are liable to punishment in that country.

As said above, what sanctions are being called for?
Reply 6
Botswana:

Indonesia has laws that citizens and foreigners have to abide by, if certain drug offenses lead to capital punishment for both citizens and foreigners then the government has to carry out those punishments, whether or not the death penalty should be continued is another debate, the fact is that Indonesia has not broken any laws, thus doesn't deserve sanctions.
[OOC]

I'm sorry, but as a Brazilian citizen, I have to express how BAFFLED I am by this. These idiots were well aware of the local laws and were internationally known for severe crimes. When they are executed, our entire foreign affairs sector focuses on it. Inflation is up, unemployment is up, the biggest state company in the country is done (fell from a top 10 institution in the world, now not even top 100)... and the president worried about these monsters. I'm sorry, but oh hell no.
(edited 9 years ago)
Continuing the above post, now with a slightly more mature view: if you're so offended by the death penalty, why don't you work to stop it as a whole in Indonesia? Or do you seriously believe Brazilian citizens deserve special treatment before the law? If someone here is violating human rights (or trying to), it's you.
Reply 9
Original post by Fernand126
Continuing the above post, now with a slightly more mature view: if you're so offended by the death penalty, why don't you work to stop it as a whole in Indonesia? Or do you seriously believe Brazilian citizens deserve special treatment before the law? If someone here is violating human rights (or trying to), it's you.

[OOC] Please note that I represent Brazil's views, not my own. :smile:
What are the sanction Brazil is proposing?

Spandy
QFA
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
What are the sanction Brazil is proposing?

Brazil wants UN to fine Indonesia $500mn, to be used for charity.
Reply 12
Botswana: We are disappointed Brazil proposes a ridiculous sanction for a dead criminal.

OOC: Hahahahahahahhaha
Original post by Spandy
[OOC] Please note that I represent Brazil's views, not my own. :smile:

[OOC]
That post made me extremely happy. Someone who also wants to be a realistic rep! \o/
Keep it up, then, because Brazil would totally propose this :smile:
In light of the unenforceable proposals Brazil has made New Zealand will be voting against sanctions. We would encourage Brazil to continue with its campaign by using economic sanctions but fining a country is not the right step to take.

Russia has not stopped gasping in disbelief since the fine has been revealed. We urge Brazil to reconsider it's resolution finding a different way of influencing change.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
While Russia is sympathetic to your case, we feel an individual in a foreign country should respect the laws of that country. If the individual chooses to break those laws the same punishments should apply to all regardless of nationality.

Brazil is quite surprised at this statement. Brazil would advice their Russian counterparts to practice what they preach.
Mexico, who advocates a liberal attitude to drug use, believes this execution was a particularly harsh judgement, and understands Brazil's distress with this issue.

Canada believes the Brazilian involved should have been more aware of the drug laws abroad. Instead of sanctioning Indonesia, wouldn't it be better to promote drug awareness in Brazil?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending