The Student Room Group

Suspend or carry on studies?

I have been diagnosed with anxiety this year but the problems have been continuing for several years. I had to drop out of my first university because the situation was aggravating my depression and I felt close to a breakdown. I had done 1st year so transferred into second year at a new university. I enjoy it so much more at my new uni and it went a lot better, I achieved a first for my second year.

Last term I was struggling with concentration and very low moods but managed to maintain my grade. This term things have become much worse, I am unable to sit down and do work, I can't concentrate on anything and I start panicking and crying. I have to leave the library several times a day to ring my boyfriend to try and calm myself down. If this carries on, it will likely severely affect my grade. I just feel unable to focus, enjoy anything and even getting out of bed is a huge struggle.

I am considering talking to the uni about suspending my studies so I can focus on getting better and then return in the future. I want to get counselling and learn how to help myself but I have no time at this stage in my degree to do this. Is this a good idea or should I just try to do my best and get through? And does anyone have any experience of the suspension process?
Reply 1
Your uni should provide counselling services. You may be able to learn coping strategies whilst continuing and a uni-based service could give you some specific advice on how to handle uni stress. Look them up on your uni's website.
Various things to consider:
- does your current uni know about your mental health issues? Do they have any support in place for you? If not, are you willing to give it a go with extra support, or are you already at breaking point? Typical things your uni may be able to do for you: help you apply for DSA, which can get you additional equipment and human resources, e.g. a study coach/mentor and note taker; extend deadlines for essays; defer exams; relax rules about attendance
- how will you support yourself while taking time off? It's a tricky issue as to whether you get to keep your student loan, go on benefits, or not, so you could do with discussing it with someone in the know
- are you already on a waiting list for therapy or counselling, with uni or your GP? University services are typically quite easy to access, but are of shorter-term duration. NHS waiting lists can be anything from three weeks to a year +
- what would you do with all that free time? Is the structure of uni helping keep things together for you, or is having to leave the house every day just making you feel worse?
- what's your uni's attitude towards your taking time off? Would you have to redo just this term, or the whole year? Are you on good terms with the year below's course mates, if that matters to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending