The Student Room Group

Is is advantageous to do STEP 1 in the lower 6?

How risky is it?
I'm a further maths student that wants to do maths at uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not risky, in that you're not obliged to declare it on UCAS. However, you could risk messing up your other ASs for little gain if you aren't careful.

Personally, if you're getting 95%+ in class tests, I'd say go for it. Have you tried many STEP questions yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
It's not risky, in that you're not obliged to declare it on UCAS. However, you could risk messing up your other ASs for little gain if you aren't careful.

Personally, if you're getting 95%+ in class tests, I'd say go for it. Have you tried many STEP questions yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm generally getting between 90-95% in class tests for all subjects except physics. I can't be ****ed to save my physics grade, which is at a low A at the moment, since I'm probably going to drop it next year.
Reply 4
Original post by poorform
Oh it's you again.

:lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

As I am an old fart can you please explain the joke.
Am I meant to read something else at the bottom?
Original post by TeeEm

dw I don't get it either :tongue:
The picture's still pretty funny nonetheless.
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm

Original post by MathMeister
dw I don't get it either :tongue:
The picture's still pretty funny nonetheless.

I think the joke is y = mx + c is a linear function (i.e. a straight line) and typically forming a queue involves lining up in a straight line :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by Noble.
I think the joke is y = mx + c is a linear function (i.e. a straight line) and typically forming a queue involves lining up in a straight line :lol:

I get it now ...
(the cogs had stalled ...)
:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:
Original post by CancerousProblem
How risky is it?
I'm a further maths student that wants to do maths at uni

I'm not sure what a "lower 6" is, but if it means first year in sixth form then my answer would be yes (if you're doing good in maths). I'm actually doing the same this year, I'm going to do STEP I and II, and if I feel very confident III.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by gagafacea1
I'm not sure what a "lower 6" is, but if it means first year in sixth form then my answer would be yes (if you're doing good in maths). I'm actually doing the same this year, I'm going to do STEP I and II, and if I feel very confident III.

STEP 3 in Y12? And I thought I was being ballsy by doing STEP 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've always been ahead of the school when it comes to maths (and physics). That's why doing all FP's isn't really difficult for me. That's why I'm thinking about STEP III, plus I still don't see the difference in difficulty between the steps, yeah it's more material, but the questions aren't trickier or anything. I find them all frustrating and difficult btw. Which A levels are you doing btw?
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

There I am and I have only done like 1 STEP 3 paper haha ,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
That's why doing all FP's isn't really difficult for me. That's why I'm thinking about STEP III, plus I still don't see the difference in difficulty between the steps, yeah it's more material, but the questions aren't trickier or anything

If your serious about step differentiating xy=1 should not give you any trouble by any method http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3144179 best not kid yourself :cool:
Reply 14
Yeah I've always been ahead of the school when it comes to maths (and physics). That's why doing all FP's isn't really difficult for me. That's why I'm thinking about STEP III, plus I still don't see the difference in difficulty between the steps, yeah it's more material, but the questions aren't trickier or anything. I find them all frustrating and difficult btw. Which A levels are you doing btw?

I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and economics. I also like to study ahead - I'm currently doing FP3 - but I doubt I'll feel confident with STEP 3 until June 2016!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by poorform
Oh it's you again.

Hahaha that is decent
Original post by cvbn
If your serious about step differentiating xy=1 should not give you any trouble by any method http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3144179 best not kid yourself :cool:

Lol i saw that aswell. I was like what? And this guy is confident in step 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cvbn

No i was not having trouble differentiating that, the question was about something else, did you actually read what I wrote. It doesn't work like that. Also...

Original post by physicsmaths
Lol i saw that aswell. I was like what? And this guy is confident in step 3?

I said IF I felt confident. As I said, I don't see the difference between the steps themselves, NOT between a levels and steps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Krollo
I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and economics. I also like to study ahead - I'm currently doing FP3 - but I doubt I'll feel confident with STEP 3 until June 2016!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you looked at the past papers for that (STEP III)? Also FP3 Edexcel or...?
No i was not having trouble differentiating that, the question was about something else, did you actually read what I wrote. It doesn't work like that. Also...

I said IF I felt confident. As I said, I don't see the difference between the steps themselves, NOT between a levels and steps.

Ah' thought u said you were confident.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest