The Student Room Group

BREAKING NEWS: Shots fired at Muhammad cartoonist at free speech meeting

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qari
just going to say I haven't read the article.
But if they were aiming for the cartoonist wouldn't he be dead I'm assuming they must have at the least known how he looked never mind their being other powerful people there to kill. You've got to say logically if they were going to make a point they would either kill the cartoonist if he was their target or kill a power dignitary like the French ambassador.

I don't think there was much logic behind it, because they then proceeded on to a Synagogue and killed another person there.
Original post by Qari
just going to say I haven't read the article.
But if they were aiming for the cartoonist wouldn't he be dead I'm assuming they must have at the least known how he looked never mind their being other powerful people there to kill. You've got to say logically if they were going to make a point they would either kill the cartoonist if he was their target or kill a power dignitary like the French ambassador.

But before all that let's all pray(for the religious) for the victims family and whatever the non-religious do, they should do that (what do non-religous people do in this circumstance (generally curious))

Not conding the killings. And R.I.P to the victim who died. (You are all quick to make comments about whether the shooter is muslim or not but have any of you thought of the victim and his family. Also all those people who are conding/saying killing isn't good etc where was all this when the chapel hill shooting happened)

He couldn't get close because of the security controlling access to the meeting so he randomly shot at people instead.
Original post by The Epicurean
I don't think there was much logic behind it, because they then proceeded on to a Synagogue and killed another person there.

Oh there's logic behind it.

Just not one we'd understand
Reply 63
Original post by elhm1800
I would say all of the above...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then that is probably a decently sized proportion of muslims as many refuse to, believe that extremism is a problem.
Original post by TheBBQ
Then that is probably a decently sized proportion of muslims as many refuse to, believe that extremism is a problem.

Where do you get that information from? I know -with all due respect- that Muslims are definitely acknowledging that extremism is an issue and are trying to combat it by stating how far apart they stand from these nutjobs' ideology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jenkinsear
Naturally it won't stop them, but it will allow the state a basic method of identifying and removing individuals who are arguably a threat to the values of the state. Anyone who is actually serious about their religion (as these extremists are) would never feel able to sign it- if you made them swear it on a holy book at the same time, no chance.

As it stands, arrivals to Western countries do not need to agree to any principles or ideals at all. Better to at least have a gesture of defence for your ideals than the current system imo.

I'm signing nothing.
Original post by #Ridwan
Jones represents everything that is wrong with the modern left. Messed up and contradictory priorities.

Not this again. Charlie Hebdo is part of the "modern left". I don't know how you can get any further from pandering to tyrannical religion when you actually invoke a terrorist attack on yourself.

"
Back in the 18th Century, the target was the royal family, and the rumour-mongers wrought havoc with tales - often illustrated - of sexual antics and corruption at the court at Versailles.
Nowadays there are new dragons to slay: politicians, the police, bankers and religion. Satire, rather than outright fabrication, is the weapon of choice."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15551998

yup, left wing news paper

That and one of the policemen that died in that incident was a Muslim. There will be Muslims fighting ISIS in irag. Nothing is simple.

Myself, chaoticButterfly, a left wing atheist and soft anti-theist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Where do you get that information from? I know -with all due respect- that Muslims are definitely acknowledging that extremism is an issue and are trying to combat it by stating how far apart they stand from these nutjobs' ideology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, the common excuses tend to be that they aren't even Muslims and blame the west etc etc. You don't see many moderates acknowledge that Muslim extremists exist.
Reply 68

Posted from TSR Mobile

Essentially this:

Original post by h3isenberg
Not really, the common excuses tend to be that they aren't even Muslims and blame the west etc etc. You don't see many moderates acknowledge that Muslim extremists exist.
Reply 69

Wait more than one person was killed? I thought it was just 1 person.

Original post by PopaPork
He couldn't get close because of the security controlling access to the meeting so he randomly shot at people instead.

Still the range a bullet can travel i doubt you'd have to be close. But I guess I'll have to read the article or listen to the speech before I say abything else
Original post by Qari
Wait more than one person was killed? I thought it was just 1 person.

Still the range a bullet can travel i doubt you'd have to be close. But I guess I'll have to read the article or listen to the speech before I say abything else

Yeah, two separate attacks. As far as I am aware, both incidents are connected to same person/people.

Original post by #Ridwan

He's also been promoting and funding Wahabbism and other radical Islamist ideologies since 1997

Yeah, absolutely *affixes tinfoil hat*. And he's definitely doing that under the direction of the lizard people
If only there was a way to prevent these attacks...

:rolleyes:
Reply 73
Yeah, two separate attacks. As far as I am aware, both incidents are connected to same person/people.

ah right, didn't know that. This was some **** police work. I mean let's say for the sake the person was a radical muslim then surely after you didn't capture him you should have assigned protection at the synagogue or did they do that? Have they released anything about the guy?

thanks for the image
Reply 74
Original post by Qari
ah right, didn't know that. This was some **** police work. I mean let's say for the sake the person was a radical muslim then surely after you didn't capture him you should have assigned protection at the synagogue or did they do that? Have they released anything about the guy?

thanks for the image

Why the **** would they randomly decide to post loads of police at a synagogue that happens to be in the same city as the other **** going on? How were they supposed to know he would go down there and attack people/whatever actually happened?
Reply 75
Original post by Ronove
Why the **** would they randomly decide to post loads of police at a synagogue that happens to be in the same city as the other **** going on? How were they supposed to know he would go down there and attack people/whatever actually happened?

not just the synagogue, in the city itself I mean always go for worst case scenario just in case
Reply 76
Original post by Qari
not just the synagogue, in the city itself I mean always go for worst case scenario just in case

What do you think they should have done that they didn't?
Original post by h3isenberg

But that's all moderate muslims do lol....criticise and acknowledge the Muslim extremists....

Posted from TSR Mobile
But that's all moderate muslims do lol....criticise and acknowledge the Muslim extremists....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you give me an example of a moderate Muslim who refers to them as Muslim extremists?

Fanks.
misleading title I thought one of them was gonna get owned or something with so badass burn comeback but nah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending