The Student Room Group

Fire burns Islamic center in Houston, Texas

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2015/02/13/Fire-burns-Islamic-center-in-Houston-Texas.html

NEWS WORLD
Fire burns Islamic center in Houston, Texas

The building of Islamic Center of Houston, Texas, has caught fire on Friday, but the causes remain unknown. (Photo courtesy ABC News)
Text size A A A
Staff Writer, Al Arabiya News
Friday, 13 February 2015
A massive blaze has ripped through an Islamic community center in Houston, Texas, on Friday.

It is not known what has caused the fire that gutted a section of the building used for storage. Federal investigators are now looking for the source of the blaze.

Kenyatta Parker, public information officer at Houston Fire Department told Al Arabiya News: “I can confirm that the fire happened this morning, that no one was hurt and no one was in the building at the time.

“We currently have no official statement regarding the fire and it remains under investigation.”

He said he was unable to comment regarding reports citing the Imam and his son who said they believed the fire was either an arson attack or started accidentally by a homeless person trying to shelter from the cold.

In a statement published on the center’s Facebook page, the incident was described as a “tragic event’. It went on to explain that at “Some time around 5 a.m.this morning, a fire was started in our third building. The blaze was so hot that the complete building and all its many contents were destroyed.”

If this is foul play, as suspected, it's a dangerous reflection of the growing Islamophobia within America. This was a holy place, and could've had children in it, for goodness sake. Thank God no-one was injured.

Scroll to see replies

I've heard about this. It made me so angry to be honest, but I can't really blame them since the media completely encourages Islamophobia.
There is growing dislike for Islam around the world. For good reason.

But all protest should be done peacefully.
Reply 3
Original post by DiddyDec

For good reason? It's people like you that are fooled by propaganda and encourage the hatred.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 78Saab
For good reason? It's people like you that are fooled by propaganda and encourage hatred.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes for good reason. Until Islam is updated it will not be in-keeping with western values.

Using a book from the 14th century to dictate your life in the 21st century is dangerous. There are some very good values in the Quran but it is well out of date.
Original post by 78Saab
For good reason? It's people like you that are fooled by propaganda and encourage the hatred.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No actually, the Qur'an does that all by itself by being filled with hatred and sexually frustrated men obsessed with virgins
Muslims will hopefully wake up, they are under attack and if they keep sleeping the westerners will commit another holocaust on them
Reply 7
Original post by thefreakoffreaks
the media completely encourages Islamophobia.

Or maybe because of extremists actions and not the media....?
I hate America.
Original post by Anonymous7831
Being Muslim and living in Texas must have a death wish.

try being a Christian in the Middle East
Original post by democracyforum
try being a Christian in the Middle East

What about it? I've been to some of the countries in the middle east and the muslims and christians actually peacefully live together.
Stop bull****ting.
Original post by golden tribe
Muslims will hopefully wake up, they are under attack and if they keep sleeping the westerners will commit another holocaust on them

What is a westerner? Are not Muslims living in the western world westerns?

When attacks committed by certain extremists in the West get a lot of media report, it is undeniable that it often results in further tension between communities and often a rise in hate and intolerance towards Muslims. But to say that another Holocaust is on its way is to blow events out of proportion.
Original post by navarre
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2015/02/13/Fire-burns-Islamic-center-in-Houston-Texas.html

If this is foul play, as suspected, it's a dangerous reflection of the growing Islamophobia within America. This was a holy place, and could've had children in it, for goodness sake. Thank God no-one was injured.

Loool. 'Growing Islamophobia'.
I hope no nearby buildings were too affected.
Interesting that muslims destroy churches and mosques all over the world every week, often resulting in the deaths of people, yet you choose to start a thread about this one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheBBQ
Or maybe because of extremists actions and not the media....?

Agreed to disagree. Yes, it must be acknowledged that these extremists commit inhumane acts in the name of Islam and to some extent its understandable, why people would relate them with Islam(although, they have political motives behind their actions and uses Islam's name to spread hatred and instability in the world). However, the role of bias media which ingrains the propaganda against all Muslims cannot be disregarded at the same time. Sure people can criticise Islam or any other religion for that matter but to spread hatred against Muslims and being bias when a victim is a Muslim is another thing. It clearly is media bias. And we all are aware of the role of media in this society. It does it with all. Black men, Pakistani men, Muslims and so many others are given coverage in such a manner as if they represent all the other from their race or religion.

All in all, I believe its a combination of both some Muslims misusing Islam for their political agendas and media not playing a adequate role.
Reply 16
That is terrible but I'm happy no one was hurt
Reply 17
Original post by 78Saab

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol, delusional
Reply 18
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer

All in all, I believe its a combination of both some Muslims misusing Islam for their political agendas and media not playing a adequate role.

Overall, agreed with you there. But my opinion probably takes those at different proportions than yours.
Original post by DiddyDec

You mean a growing dislike for Islamic extremism. It would be ignorant to classify all Muslims as the same. The Muslims in Texas have done nothing to warrant this act of crime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending