The Student Room Group

Math and English Level 2?

Hi everyone. I am at university, studying social sciences and I have a level 2 diploma in maths which was accepted as as part of my access course. However upon researching master degrees and further studies, majority of them states that I need at least a GCSE grade C in Math and English, or equivalent. I have found a government scheme that provides Functional Skills that is hopefully free. I am not sure what the eligibility criteria is. Just wondering does anyone know any other organisations that offer free math and English equivalents?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you checked with the universities offering the postgraduate courses whether your level 2 diploma is acceptable? If you were accepted onto an undergraduate degree with it I see no reason why that should change when you are looking for Masters courses. You'd be best off emailing/phoning their admissions departments to check before spending time and money doing a Maths course that isn't necessary.
Reply 2
Most unis no longer accept equivalents and will insist on the GCSEs at grade C or above. However this only became common as of last September and is mainly aimed at undergraduate entrants. It could be that having an undergrad degree will negate this requirement for a Masters.

As the previous poster says, you need to check this with your target unis. That would be the only way to be sure.
I know that some universities accept equivalents (AON, Comms, etc). I have AON level 2 and coms level 3 as an equivalent to maths and english and i got accepted to do computer science.
Thank you everyone for your replies. I know what you mean, I am looking into evening classes that do Math and English. As I am at university as well and will be my second year it will be a lot to contend with so I will either wait until after graduation or stick with functional skills. Yeah most of them want GCSE or equivalent I have asked them :frown: thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest