The Student Room Group

Pharmaceutical industry

Is Pharmacy a good way to end up in a lab in the pharmaceutical industry? If not, what is a better university course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi, I think pharmaceutical science would be a better route if ur more intrested in industrial side of medicine rather thsn the retail side which pharmacy deals with. U can still work in industry with a pharmacy degree...you could also consider pharmacology.
Good luck! ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pharmacology
Biochem (I'd recommend chem with biochem and pharma modules though)

That's what I plan on doing anyway
Original post by downh015
Is Pharmacy a good way to end up in a lab in the pharmaceutical industry? If not, what is a better university course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've applied for pharmacy with the hope entering the pharmaceutical industry. There are many courses that can lead to lab work including pharmacy, pharmacology, chemistry, biomed, biology and medicine. I chose pharmacy over pharmacology because it gives you a wider range of career choices both in industry and out. Pharmacists are everywhere in the industry because their degree exposes them to much more then just the chemistry of drugs. Even in the NHS, pharmacists are involved in clinical trials and drug development. Have you looked at these websites?
http://careers.abpi.org.uk/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.rpharms.com/pharmacy-roles/industrial-pharmacy.asp
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I have been looking at pharmacology but to be honest, still not too sure what it really is 😅 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by downh015
I have been looking at pharmacology but to be honest, still not too sure what it really is 😅 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pharmacology is all about drugs: what they do to the body (pharmacodynamics) and what the body does to them (pharmacokinetics). The former refers to how drugs bring about their (therapeutic) effects, i.e. mechanism of action. The latter refers to four major stages most drug molecules go through: absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion, colloquially known as 'ADME'.

Quick Reply