The Student Room Group

This is not art

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anon_98
I disagree. Have you considered the time period/era in which the artist may have painted it? It could be representing all sorts of things, perhaps the problems faced in the society at that time? If something major was going on at the moment this painting was made, then it could be expressing the artist's thoughts on the events. The darkness showing that all hope has possibly been lost in the world or maybe even suggesting that people can't see reality since black isn't a 'true' colour and therefore everything is hidden to your eyes and that s/he possibly believes a façade is being placed before everyone which they're unaware of. The type of paint also makes a difference. Also, I'm sure there was probably a particular way in which the brush and canvas met. It wasn't just all painted vertically with absolutely no texture right? In my opinion, it is anything but "a canvas painted black".

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't think of much else to say to this that isn't contained in post #180, if you'd care to refer to that one for my thoughts.
Original post by Birkenhead
Why? Should the answer to this impact on your opinion of the strength of my arguments?

Did someone say otherwise?

Since when was this an acceptable definition of art? That art should be reduced to mere superficial entertainment...no thanks. That's what 'entertainment' is for.

I counter with Roger Scruton's 'Art: The Real Thing', beginning at 19:00 of this video

aiKMGebepnI&t=19m0s

I didn't say it did, I simply asked you a question. But I'm not interested in further debating with you.
Original post by CoolCavy
in yr11 we went to an art gallery with school and i was shocked to see that this atrocity had won a prestigious painting prize:
11_John-Moores-Prize.jpglike srsly?

grrr :banghead:

Puhleeeease, tell me you're kidding about that painting winning a prize.
My hamster can paint better than that...
Original post by Mochassassin
Puhleeeease, tell me you're kidding about that painting winning a prize.
My hamster can paint better than that...

Nope, unfortunately it is true :colonhash:

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/johnmoores/jm2014/

lol ikr, the resulting effect of my guinea pig chewing my R.E homework in yr9 was more artistic :lol:

The 'artist' also won £2014 for that atrocity, brb whilst i dig out my yr1 paintings to flog on ebay...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy
Nope, unfortunately it is true :colonhash:

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/johnmoores/jm2014/

lol ikr, the resulting effect of my guinea pig chewing my R.E homework in yr9 was more artistic :lol:

:rofl:
Every time I discover a little spark of hope convincing me humanity surely can't be as bad as I think...**** like this messes up my viewpoints. :colonhash:
Smh.
Why? Should the answer to this impact on your opinion of the strength of my arguments?

Did someone say otherwise?

Since when was this an acceptable definition of art? That art should be reduced to mere superficial entertainment...no thanks. That's what 'entertainment' is for.

I counter with Roger Scruton's 'Art: The Real Thing', beginning at 19:00 of this video

aiKMGebepnI&t=19m0s

Well that video was depressing
It's a very literal and STEM way of thinking that skill equals good art. Art is a form of expression and a way of getting across a message or feeling. I dont think any of that has to do with 'skill' in the sense of physical paint skill for example the skill is in getting the message across as best as possible. The black canvas is like a writer distilling a paragraph of text down to a few words that say the same thing just more to the point. I don't get what's hard to grasp about that
Original post by frejabby
It's a very literal and STEM way of thinking that skill equals good art. Art is a form of expression and a way of getting across a message or feeling. I dont think any of that has to do with 'skill' in the sense of physical paint skill for example the skill is in getting the message across as best as possible. The black canvas is like a writer distilling a paragraph of text down to a few words that say the same thing just more to the point. I don't get what's hard to grasp about that

This.
Original post by frejabby

I disagree with Birkenhead that art is simply about the manual skill of production (see older posts on this thread). You are correct that art is a form of expression but the black painting expresses nothing. It is not a writer distilling a paragraph of text;. It is a writer simply hitting the "W" key repeatedly. He may do that because he is opposed to HS1 but neither the pages of Ws nor the black canvas express his opposition to railway building.
Original post by nulli tertius
I disagree with Birkenhead that art is simply about the manual skill of production (see older posts on this thread)

I have not expressed myself well if it seems that that is all I think art is defined by. Obviously my position has been under development but since we are trying to define art and I am only 21 I think that is acceptable but I certainly never meant to convey the view that art is a collective term for excellent craftsmanship and nothing else
(edited 8 years ago)
I have not expressed myself well if it seems that that is all I think art is defined by. Obviously my position has been under development but since we are trying to define art and I am only 21 I think that is acceptable but I certainly never meant to convey the view that art is a collective term for excellent craftsmanship and nothing else

Scruton's views on aesthetics are in a long western tradition. However I couldn't help thinking that he was using a lot of words to hide his central opinion that if I don't like it, it is not art. I would like to cross examine him on one medium, I would feel most comfortable with architecture of the last 200 years, and I think he would come across as a prejudiced old fogey. I think he embraces everything sufficiently old because it is old and rejects everything new unless it apes the old.

My view is that art requires an outward manifestation of an aesthetic idea. The art is in the object not in the label or the sleeve note.

The Planets Suite is still The Planets Suite irrespective of whether you know what Holst was composing about. Emin's unmade bed or Cage's silence is not.

Moreover a set of rosary beads is not per se art and nor is a black canvas. Inward contemplation on an object doesn't automatically make that object art.

However my definition embraces photography, architecture and the Burghers of Calais as being Rodin's art.

Birkenhead's law: Anything that anyone with the most basic cognitive and motor abilities can do on a first attempt cannot reasonably be called 'art'.

You really are a socially conservative jackass.

Machines can do work which no human would ever have the fine motor skill to carry out, but you would not consider it art because it was not creative.

I do not know if either of those things are art, but I'm sure they were not just about a black canvas or 4 mins 33 seconds of silence, but had a wider context which make them appropriate or creative.
Original post by The Free Radical
You really are a socially conservative jackass.

And you are an intolerant neanderthal who can't voice disagreement with alternative viewpoints without resorting to witless personal attacks

Machines can do work which no human would ever have the fine motor skill to carry out, but you would not consider it art because it was not creative.

That I think true art requires a superior level of artistic skill and composition does not mean I think that is all it is defined by. A is required for B. A =/= B. That C can achieve A does not mean it can achieve B.

I do not know if either of those things are art, but I'm sure they were not just about a black canvas or 4 mins 33 seconds of silence, but had a wider context which make them appropriate or creative.

Well, if you really are sure of that then I'll just close the thread now. I really wish you'd turned up ten pages ago. /sarcasm

What I have attempted to do in this thread is reject the idea that there cannot be sensible boundaries to what we call art. I have suggested a superior level of craftsmanship such that the work could not be achieved on a first attempt by anyone (which is far more liberal of a restriction than it seems), as one central principle, which neither of these pieces satisfy, but it obviously goes deeper than that - these pieces are lacking substance in the mysterious area of 'creativity'. I do not intend to deceive people into the idea that I have a watertight argument on this enormous subject - this thread has served as a place of development - but I have done my best to illustrate what I mean by this missing soul, and cited materials which do it better, in post #180.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=59234629&postcount=180
And you are an intolerant neanderthal who can't voice disagreement with alternative viewpoints without resorting to witless personal attacks

That I think true art requires a superior level of artistic skill and composition does not mean I think that is all it is defined by. A is required for B. A =/= B. That C can achieve A does not mean it can achieve B.

Well, if you really are sure of that then I'll just close the thread now. I really wish you'd turned up ten pages ago. /sarcasm

What I have attempted to do in this thread is reject the idea that there cannot be sensible boundaries to what we call art. I have suggested a superior level of craftsmanship such that the work could not be achieved on a first attempt by anyone (which is far more liberal of a restriction than it seems), as one central principle, which neither of these pieces satisfy, but it obviously goes deeper than that - these pieces are lacking substance in the mysterious area of 'creativity'. I do not intend to deceive people into the idea that I have a watertight argument on this enormous subject - this thread has served as a place of development - but I have done my best to illustrate what I mean by this missing soul, and cited materials which do it better, in post #180.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=59234629&postcount=180

Lol

Triggered.
Original post by The Free Radical
Lol

Triggered.

Thank you for your valuable contributions to this debate.
Thank you for your valuable contributions to this debate.

Dbi m8
Reply 196
Original post by nulli tertius
Scruton's views on aesthetics are in a long western tradition. However I couldn't help thinking that he was using a lot of words to hide his central opinion that if I don't like it, it is not art. I would like to cross examine him on one medium, I would feel most comfortable with architecture of the last 200 years, and I think he would come across as a prejudiced old fogey. I think he embraces everything sufficiently old because it is old and rejects everything new unless it apes the old.

My view is that art requires an outward manifestation of an aesthetic idea. The art is in the object not in the label or the sleeve note.

The Planets Suite is still The Planets Suite irrespective of whether you know what Holst was composing about. Emin's unmade bed or Cage's silence is not.

Moreover a set of rosary beads is not per se art and nor is a black canvas. Inward contemplation on an object doesn't automatically make that object art.

However my definition embraces photography, architecture and the Burghers of Calais as being Rodin's art.

Found this about photography today from 'How to Paint a Portrait':

'What makes a good portrait?...That the painting should look like the person seems pretty unarguable until we think of all the portraits throughout art history we love and revere and realise that, in most cases, we have no idea what these people looked like so cannot judge the veracity of the likeness. To assert that we like the portraits because they really capture the person is thus nonsensical...The slippery terms 'soul' and 'truth' are often used to try to capture the feeling a great portrait has on one...These artists have gone beyond the skin and found a deeper likeness, the very essence of the sitter, and they have done this so well that we feel a deep connection...It is as though the pictorial depiction of another's soul has reacquainted us with out own. One would think that photography would be well suited to do this, and indeed, some photographers are able to communicate this very well too, but I find that when I return to look at a photographic portrait again, I react to it in the same way I did on the first encounter, whereas, in my experience, the painted portrait lends itself to myriad interpretations. As the painter looks up from her palette or from the canvas where she has just made the latest mark, she sees the sitter anew each time; the painted portrait is an accumulation of hundreds or more fresh encounters between sitter and painter in contrast to the 1/8 second or so exposure of one photograph.'
Original post by Fenice
Found this about photography today from 'How to Paint a Portrait':

'What makes a good portrait?...That the painting should look like the person seems pretty unarguable until we think of all the portraits throughout art history we love and revere and realise that, in most cases, we have no idea what these people looked like so cannot judge the veracity of the likeness. To assert that we like the portraits because they really capture the person is thus nonsensical...The slippery terms 'soul' and 'truth' are often used to try to capture the feeling a great portrait has on one...These artists have gone beyond the skin and found a deeper likeness, the very essence of the sitter, and they have done this so well that we feel a deep connection...It is as though the pictorial depiction of another's soul has reacquainted us with out own. One would think that photography would be well suited to do this, and indeed, some photographers are able to communicate this very well too, but I find that when I return to look at a photographic portrait again, I react to it in the same way I did on the first encounter, whereas, in my experience, the painted portrait lends itself to myriad interpretations. As the painter looks up from her palette or from the canvas where she has just made the latest mark, she sees the sitter anew each time; the painted portrait is an accumulation of hundreds or more fresh encounters between sitter and painter in contrast to the 1/8 second or so exposure of one photograph.'

Most portrait painters and particularly sculptors will execute commissions painting or sculpting dead people whom they never met from photographs. Can you visibly see less in a painting or sculpture where there was no encounter between the subject and the artist?

Probably the greatest portrait photographer of all time was Karsh of Ottawa. Is the above description a fair view of his portrait of Churchill (taken in a two minute sitting)?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Winston_Churchill_1941_photo_by_Yousuf_Karsh.jpg

What about this one by Cecil Beaton.

http://media.vam.ac.uk/feature/lightbox/v1/popup/2009cd9336_princess_elizabeth_colonel.jpg

There must a million published photographs of the Queen. There are photographs of her with very low cut gowns. There are photographs of her in a thigh high principal boy outfit. There are photographs of her gazing adoringly at Prince Philip. There are photographs of her looking like a hippy or wearing a trouser suit and shoulder bag. But as far as I know, this is the only photo of her looking sexy with a "come hither" look in her eye. .
Reply 198
Somerset Maugham's relevant thoughts in 'The Summing Up':

image.jpeg
Original post by amberskye
*in your opinion.

The only thing that could be considered to be "Art" in regards to what OP posted is the fact that the "Artists" are able to convince some wealthy moron to buy them.

"Art" nowadays is the worst S*** you can imagine, you used to have talent to create art, now you just need to know how to use the fill option in MS paint. As soon as this stops being the case the better in my opinion.

It's just a bunch of cons making money of wealthy muppets as far as i'm concerned.

-AHappyTeddybear

Quick Reply

Latest